Ye Macce Threade

Any suggestions to reduce eye strain with the ipad a2, like a program similar to f.lux (I don't want to jail break to use that)? Dimming the screen helps, but a program that warms the display color would be nice.

It's quite convenient to read articles on, so I've been using it a lot these days.

After dealing with a number of shady unlocking services (which every single time resulted in honor among thieves and getting a refund) I can recommend "SwiftUnlocks". Worked on two phones, including a iPhone 6+ just purchased on ATT contract. Choose the more expensive "guaranteed" service. Just verified it with a US sim from "ReadySIM" who also is a nice vendor to work with. Will verify abroad soon, but am getting the unlock message in iTunes so pretty much sure it's legit.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter Emily was having trouble trying to download MS One Note to her MBP running Snow Leopard. She gets an error message telling her she needs to upgrade to Yosemite in order to be able to download the latest One Note which she does not want to do. I recommended that she use MacJournal or Evernote.  All she wants the program to do is take class and lab notes in an orderly fashion with some picture and graph attachments or imbedded, minimal functions it appears. 

Are my recommendations good or can anyone here recommend anything better?

The 13" Retina MBP is up and running.  It seems pretty snappy and the display is certainly outstanding.  I had read articles that made me think that I was going to end up running it at a lower resolution but I can't really see a point yet.  Mostly, it also has me thinking about switching over to an iPhone so that I can quit worrying about how to back up multiple different devices across platforms, etc.  It's finally gotten to the point where I don't see much difference between the platforms and given how little I use my phone for, it's tempting.  Not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not...

• Like 1

#1.  Overnight, the enter key on my 15" MBP broke into two pieces.  This makes typing quite irritating. 

#2. I upgraded said Macintop to Yosemite Sam.  10.9 was giving me some wicked instability issues (lots of tasks sucking down 100% CPU).  Thus far those problems appear to be gone.  I had a bit of a battle with Little Snitch and 1Password at first, but things seem to be running smoothly now.  I'm ...not sure what I think of the new GUI.  The Trash Can reminds me of taking fluoride in elementary schools, 3 decades ago.

#1.  Overnight, the enter key on my 15" MBP broke into two pieces.  This makes typing quite irritating. 

#2. I upgraded said Macintop to Yosemite Sam.  10.9 was giving me some wicked instability issues (lots of tasks sucking down 100% CPU).  Thus far those problems appear to be gone.  I had a bit of a battle with Little Snitch and 1Password at first, but things seem to be running smoothly now.  I'm ...not sure what I think of the new GUI.  The Trash Can reminds me of taking fluoride in elementary schools, 3 decades ago.

Many Apple stores will keep extra used keys in stock and will replace the key for free if you make a genius appointment.

• 2 weeks later...

Shelly - Apple is now offering free repair for MacBook Pros with GPU issues.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Of course, it figures this happens week after I sell mine for peanuts.

I've never taken anything in for repair before.  Should I bring the Macbook Pro into Apple in a skin or will they put it in something protective before sending it out?  

I've never taken anything in for repair before.  Should I bring the Macbook Pro into Apple in a skin or will they put it in something protective before sending it out?  

Personally, I'd take it off, just in case.  Also, I'd take photos of external condition but I'm just paranoid.

Edited by Salt Peanuts
  • Like 2

Shelly - Apple is now offering free repair for MacBook Pros with GPU issues.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Of course, it figures this happens week after I sell mine for peanuts.

Took mine in for repair today.  The video test immediately failed and I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.  They have the logic board in the store so all the work can be done locally (which means less chance of damage).   

• Like 5