Ye Macce Threade

Favorite Apple announcement today is the new powered lightning to USB camera adapter. Got my order in already.

I'm hoping I can use my iPad Pro to connect directly to my DACs. I own the previous, non-powered version and it always gives an error that says "the attached accessory uses too much power." This new powered adapter should solve that.

MK0W2?wid=572&hei=572&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op

That was remarkably perfunctory. But in for a couple of 128GB (smaller) iPad Pros as the kids have pretty much beaten their Airs to death.

What a fucking dog's breakfast the naming conventions across the range are now. :palm:

iPad mini 2, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad Pro.

• Like 2

I'm sure there is a  logical roadmap for the future. But you have to admit the present lineup is direly confusing. And I'm not sure how they are going to wiggle out of now having two current-generation devices of different sizes with exactly the same name. In the other product lines (i.e. phones) there's always a suffix to denote size or feature differences. But you can't really back into that if you initially made the larger and more powerful configuration the basis for the category -- "iPad Pro Minus" probably not a huge seller.  

• 1 month later...

I have used parallels for 5 years now with absolutely no problems. Their newest version is seemless for those of us who would rather use our computers to do work rather than dick around with getting them to perform some esoteric calculation in the most efficient way.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 1

I have used parallels for 5 years now with absolutely no problems. Their newest version is seemless for those of us who would rather use our computers to do work rather than dick around with getting them to perform some esoteric calculation in the most efficient way.

This. But can't say I've ever used the others.

• Like 1

On May 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM, shellylh said:

What is the "best" VM software for Mac? Virtualbox, VMWare, Parallels?

I used VMware at my last job to run Windows NT, XP, 7, and Centos 6. It works very well. Seamless integration, excellent speed. Features like drag and drop sharing, shared clipboards and folders, and the like all worked well. Only gripe is that one usually has to do a paid upgrade to VMware if they do a major OSX update. They don't seem to care much about maintaining compatibility IMHO. 

At my current job I've used Virtualbox to run WinXP. The VM works fine, although I cannot get drag and drop sharing to work at all - the VM crashes whenever I try. Printing had some growing pains, too. It's also noticeably slower to suspend/restart a VM. That being said, it does the basic job and is free. 

If you have the money, I strongly recommend VMware. Haven't used Parallels in many years so I can't comment on that. 

• Like 1

Depending on what PC software you need to run, you might consider picking up a used Windows laptop and skip the virtual pc route.

I have a Windows machine that gets booted just a couple of times a year. I don't upgrade the OS so I never have to update the software I'm running. I don't connect it to the web so it doesn't need updated security measures. If I do need to install something, I use a jump drive.

So, if you can get away with it, I bet that someone around here might be willing to give you a great deal on last years HP or something.

How do I remove Apple's Java Legacy 6 2015-001?  

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

I downloaded this to be able to ru Adobe Illustrator CS5 but then remembered that it was not safe to have this on the computer.  Is there any way I can remove it or keep my computer safe with it on it?  I would like to continue using AI CS5 but not if it is a security risk to have Java 6 installed.