Ye Macce Threade

Here's an article on HD life that's interesting.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/one-billion-hours-on-and-hgst-still-rules-the-roost-for-hard-disk-reliability/?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

This info has been confirmed by several archivists. What's funny is that the cheaper, but with much high failure rates, Seagates are often the choice since these archives are running 10 disk raid arrays so single failures aren't a concern.

If Dusty already posted this, sorry.

If not, check it out Peter.

A cool free app from Roli called Noise. Similar but simpler than Geo Shred (which is similar to the Linnstrument).

It does cost to add a few more libraries but it's cool to mess with as is.

• Like 2

On May 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM, ironbut said:

Here's an article on HD life that's interesting.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/one-billion-hours-on-and-hgst-still-rules-the-roost-for-hard-disk-reliability/?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

This info has been confirmed by several archivists. What's funny is that the cheaper, but with much high failure rates, Seagates are often the choice since these archives are running 10 disk raid arrays so single failures aren't a concern.

I've always found Backblaze's stats/reports to be a well written and useful:

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a (sort of) new ipad/iphone app that allows you to connect to your computer and send audio or midi via usb.

Instead of having to rely on the onboard conversion you can send midi (round trip) or audio to whatever DAW you prefer.

http://midimux.com/

The manual totally sucks and there's only a handful of shitty youtube videos but I'm loving recording GeoShred directly into Pro Tools!

Oh yeah, it doesn't look like non AudioBus compliant apps will work.

It's like $7.

• Like 1

A very weird this is happening.  I try to "print" something in chrome and if I try to open it in preview, it say (name of file) couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it. This also happens if I save to pdf and then try open it.  What is going on?  This is really annoying. 

I'm planning on doing the same thing pretty soon.

I don't know of any reason not to (and I've checked). Of course, if you have any particularly demanding software you run, you should check support forums for that app.

If you're installing El Cap on multiple machines or you plan to do clean installs on any of them, do yourself a favor and make a bootable usb installer drive ( save it just in case).

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/30/create-os-x-el-capitan-boot-install-drive/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shellylh said:

I'm thinking of finally upgrading to El Capitan on my computers.  Any reason not to? 

Main computer:  iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Others: Macbook Air 2011, Macbook Pro 13" retina 2013?, Mac Pro 2009

Some USB devices won't work properly, Mytek DSD192 being an example. But they might work on Thunderbolt.

• Like 1

I have two drives on my Mac Pro installed (one older 1TB HDD and one 128GB SDD).  I plan to start using the SDD but just haven't gotten around to it (and I'll keep most older files on the HDD).  I think they both have 10.8.6 on them.   I was planning to do a clean install of El Capitan on the SDD before putting all my programs on it.   Are these good instructions or is there something missing that I should know about.  

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/run-el-capitan-on-hard-drive-yosemite-on-mac-3533305/

Going to get one of the Sonnet Echo thunderbolt docks i think

the blu-ray drive model is only $33 more than a DVDRW. so that makes sense. and it comes with software to play blu rays

the blu-ray burner model is another $100, and you're on your own for playback software. Having never burned a blu ray before or even played one on my computer, is the burnable media worth it? 

Edited by justin

If you see any reason to distribute data of some type to several people blu-ray is nice capacity wise. 

I only use disks in my car these days. But if it had a usb port, I would only burn disks when I'm distributing original music files to friends.

SSD's and medium size jump drives are so cheap that data disks (that degrade over time) just don't make sense to me anymore.

• Like 1

I'd get the burner just because, but it's almost certainly not worth it. The high cost of media (especially the large capacity types) and I don't know too many people with Blu-ray drives... looked into playback software for the Mac a while back but the options look pretty dodgy. I play Blu-ray with my PS3 and Windows PC, so I've never had to take the plunge in Macland.

Well, shit.  Apple is discontinuing their line of displays

“We’re discontinuing the Apple Thunderbolt Display. It will be available through Apple.com, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers while supplies last. There are a number of great third-party options available for Mac users,” said an Apple spokesperson in a statement given to TechCrunch.

Edit: Gentlemen, start your Eizos.

Edited by Knuckledragger

• 3 weeks later...

xSD6uW8.jpg

hlMsaOx.jpg

I finally upgraded my Macintop (late 2011 15" MBP) to 10.11 El Capitan and it has been a bumpy ride.  Currently I am no longer able to get digital audio out of my laptop.  That's kind of a problem as my entire FLAC collection is sitting on a set of external hard drives that only my Mac can read.  For about a dozen years I've used an Edirol UA-5 USB audio interface.  It has a bunch of analogue I/O, which I have used in the past (mostly the mic inputs) and most significantly, it has optical and coaxial digital I/O.  Both digital outputs are active at the same time, which enables me to feed two different DACs simultaneously (something greatly appreciated by a neurotic headphone nerd with too many DACs.)  Edirol (Roland's "economy" line) has not existed in years, and they last released UA-5 drivers for OS ...10.6.  Up until yesterday that was never an issue as I didn't use any of the features of the UA-5 that required drivers (hibit ADC/DAC etc.)  The UA-5 showed up in my device list as a generic 2 channel USB ADC/DAC and that was the end of it.  Not so since I upgraded to El Capitan.

All of the above would be meaningless if the optical digital audio port on my laptop worked, but it doesn't.  I haven't (attempted to) use it in years, but I vaguely recall it not doing so last time I tried.  I did have a fun afternoon with 3 different DACs and several optical cables until I was satisfied that the damn thing was broken.  :palm:

So I'm now in the market for a box that has a USB gozinta and optical and/or coaxial digital gozouta.  Either that or a new goddamn laptop.  :angry:

...also f.lux is all fucked up and I have no idea why, but that is a comparatively trivial matter.  I had a fricken radio show I need to prepare.  

Totally sucks!

Any reason you can't revert back to whatever version of OSX you were using yesterday?

Kind of a pain but until you figure out what to do about the interface it should get you over this hump.

Except for security upgrades, I can't think of a reason I would need to upgrade from Yosemite and the only reason I upgraded from Mtn Lion (which was almost as stable as Snow Leo) was to use the free UnReal gaming development engine required for a series of sound design classes.

Now that I think about it, did anybody snag the Symphony that Dan was unloading? I think that's firewire in if you can live with that.

Edited by ironbut