Ye Macce Threade

• 2 weeks later...

PSA: Be careful if you buy a touch-bar MBP and run boot camp.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5e1g37/warning_bootcamp_driver_causing_blown_speakers_in/?st=iw3meaz2&sh=424702c4

My new 15" blew its left speaker over the weekend while I was running Windows 10.

Apple does not have the repair infrastructure in place to swap out the blown speaker so they are sending me a new computer.

Pretty annoying.

One of these days I am going to learn my lesson about being an early adopter.

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2016 at 0:07 PM, TMoney said:

Apple does not have the repair infrastructure in place to swap out the blown speaker so they are sending me a new computer.

That is so not why they are sending you a new computer.  They have studied it out, and it is cheaper for them to get you a new machine, then repair it and put the old one into the refurb store, than it is to have a technician take the whole thing apart, on site, and replace the speaker.

32 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

That is so not why they are sending you a new computer.  They have studied it out, and it is cheaper for them to get you a new machine, then repair it and put the old one into the refurb store, than it is to have a technician take the whole thing apart, on site, and replace the speaker.

Do you have a source for this?

It was/is my understanding that the Apple retail store technicians actually do repairs in store when parts were available. At the time the new MBP had not even been out two weeks so I found their explanation credible.

Edited by TMoney

2 hours ago, TMoney said:

Do you have a source for this?

Just a strong understanding of computer repair logistics and part pipelines, and a strong understanding of the way Apple does business at the retail level.  If it were cheaper for them to have parts and do the repair, at this point in the product's life span, they would have had the parts, and would have done the repair.  In a year, when it doesn't make as much point to have every single speaker produced earmarked for a new product, the situation will change, because the value balance will shift.  Apple believes very strongly in "just in time," and sometimes "just in time" means "not at all; here have a new one."

Edited by EdipisReks1

20 minutes ago, grawk said:

Apple does a lot of non-iphone repairs at the genius bar.  It's possible this particular problem isn't one they're currently equipped to deal with, however.  Apple puts a pretty high value on having people leave the genius bar happy.

They aren't equipped to deal with it, because they don't want to be.  Apple does very little on whim.  I would say that "we will send you a brand new one, post-haste" is going to make most people pretty happy.

Or because the design of the laptop doesn't lend itself to repairing the speaker easily, or the value proposition of stocking those parts at every apple store isn't worth it, etc.  So sure, it's an intentional decision, but not as blanket as "they're not going to repair laptops in the field", because they do.

5 minutes ago, grawk said:

Or because the design of the laptop doesn't lend itself to repairing the speaker easily, or the value proposition of stocking those parts at every apple store isn't worth it, etc.  So sure, it's an intentional decision, but not as blanket as "they're not going to repair laptops in the field", because they do.

Hence why I said "In a year, when it doesn't make as much point to have every single speaker produced earmarked for a new product, the situation will change, because the value balance will shift."

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help with my Daughter's MacBook Pro 2011.

The hard drive is completely dead.  No chance of recovering data, or more importantly the OS.

I've got a new hard drive, but need to get the OS on it.  I was thinking I'd need to get the Recovery Disk Assistant on a USB drive to get things started, but I'm not really sure if this is right.

Another issue, is that this is a Windows family, so we have no other Mac's to create such recovery disks from.

Please Help - I'm really uneducated on the Mac side.

Someone more versed can probably help you more. Since the HD is dead, no recovery partition on it to start up from (and not sure how far back on OSX that went anyhow). What version of OSX were you running? Do you have the system DVDs (or whatever they are)?

This page may be of some help:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/24/how-to-start-mac-recovery-mode/

• 1 month later...

I really need a new office computer, my Mac Pro from 2009 is so slow and it is slowing down my productivity.  I have money from the University towards a computer but need to use it by June 31, 2017.  I was hoping that Apple would update the iMacs and then I would get one.  But it looks like they won't be out until October and I can't wait that long.  

What should I do (besides buying a Windows machine). Thinking of this setup: 

Imac.jpg