Ye Macce Threade

I know they make ipad mice but I've never used one.

Can't see the use right off hand.

With touch you don't have to move a cursor. You start off with it pretty close to where you need to be. But making selections is clumsy and not at all precise.

My biggest problem with touch is it's like having to do everything with a mouse.

The story goes, a recording engineer was searching for an intern to help with editing. 

He would audition each candidate by having them sit at Pro Tools and follow the instructions he gave.

If the would be intern touched the mouse, he was out. 

Using a mouse is very slow and for folks who are supposed to be well trained, they should be able to explain why they use one (and not why they need one).

I'm out of the loop, obviously, but having no mouse option when stationary pretty much tubes the iPad idea.  Jim's points about editing (plus multitasking, frankly), just about convince me also.  I will go to the Apple store to check out both, and then maybe I will take Adam up on his offer of a short iPad loan if the iPad seems like it is even an option.  Thanks for the input and for making me think it through.

My 2c, I ditched my iPad nearly a year ago and rarely have looked back.  About the only time I want a tablet is when I'm on a plane and it's during those brief moments when the flight staff won't allow for the use of anything other than "portable electronic devices".  I've started transitioning to using my phone in those times to further eliminate the use case for a tablet and the past two times I've traveled it's worked well enough. #firstworldproblems

IMG_0139.thumb.jpg.fa5a0c5dcf6264f379f84555e6f85c68.jpg
Oh yes.
Good lord, 120hz on a tablet feels do damn good.
This thing is a monster.

Bah, was holding off on biscuits to help out Chris (but don't tell him that) and was elated to see what I thought was a cracked screen. Alas.

Enjoy the new toy; maybe PUBG will come out with a GRW-esque companion app for you.

**BRENT**
  • Like 1

Missed Al's post.  If you want to do typing, get the 12" Macbook.  Super light and small with a real keyboard plus fast enough for anything I need to do on the road!  I use it all the time at work and in coffee shops and never need anything faster.  The keyboard takes time getting used to but I actually prefer it now. 

Ordered a new iMac 27", 4.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of VRAM, and 512GB SSD (for those times when I need something a bit faster than the Macbook). 

Also, got the new ipad pro in the mail today.  Excited to open it up. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, morphsci said:

@Shelly - Do you find the single USBc port to be a limitation. I see you can now get them with 16Gb RAM so they are getting there. 

Not at all but I rarely plug anything into a USB port on my laptop.   The battery life isn't quite as good as an ipad but it is solid and doesn't take that long to charge.  I can certainly go a whole day without charging but haven't really paid attention.  The new Macbooks are supposed to have a battery that last 35% longer.  Also, when I got mine, I got the slightly faster m5 version for what its worth.  There is also a multiport adapter you can get but I haven't felt the need to get one.    

A little change on the new iPad that I appreciate: they've moved the logic board on the smaller iPad Pro from the right side of the device to the center.

The area surrounding the logic board gets quite warm under load, so its really nice that its moved from where you'd place your hands to a spot on the iPad that you don't touch as often.

Hard to know whether this was done on purpose or if its just a serindipitous coincidence, but it is a welcome change. 

Before (9.7" model):

97.thumb.jpg.f1cf34139f73437fce6e4b94487b11b4.jpg

After (10.5" model):

UI4lUmugaCJ2IhNo_huge.thumb.jpg.94d5e8cba0cde411d470c7846dec9cef.jpg

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 4

After going to the Apple Store, I'm pretty well settled on the new 13" Macbook Pro. Curious whether people have opinions on processor and memory options. Two i5 options and one i7, the latter of which seems completely unnecessary for my use. Then 8gb vs 16gb for the memory. I usually get more but the Apple genius types said the new MacBook is so efficient that even 7-8 open programs running would not tax 8gb. Advice?

• Like 1

More RAM uses more energy (apparently that's one of the reasons they don't offer 32GB, much to developers dismay the world over, as then they wouldn't be able to offer xx hours use, because marketing bullet points are more important than some "niche" (for developer values "niche" use cases, not that developers, who work in Starbucks, possibly the target market for the mac book pro, are bitter, you understand)). You could always just plug your laptop in.

Could you go back into the Apple Store and fire up a representative selection of apps / browser tabs, and look at actual memory consumption / switching speed on configured target systems. You know, benchmarking?

6 minutes ago, Grahame said:

Could you go back into the Apple Store and fire up a representative selection of apps / browser tabs, and look at actual memory consumption / switching speed on configured target systems. You know, benchmarking?

Sounds like work.

:kitty:

• Like 2

Get the i7 and 16.

My reasoning is 3 fold:
1) Stop being poor.
2) This is d-_-b
3) It seems to kept your MBA for quite a while. The i5 will be fine for quite a while, and I can't imagine 16 GB of RAM being a bottleneck for years to come. However, in 3-4 years I can see you getting frustrated with it feeling a bit sluggish, where the i7 would probably get you 4-5.

You may not care and just get another in 3 years, but if you can see wanting 4-5 for an extra couple hundred vs dropping 1500 again a year or two earlier makes sense to me.

FWIW, I have an Ultrabook that's 4.5 years old with an i7 that would be OK had it more RAM, but even the processor is starting to show it's age.

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk