Ye Macce Threade

Unless you think your going to need the absolute best unplugged run time I would definitely go with max ram because you cannot upgrade it later. I would probably go middle I5 because for most programs the I7 does not bring any huge advantage. But it also does not bring a huge disadvantage. The only time I felt I had too much laptop was when it weighed too much.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Voltron said:

After going to the Apple Store, I'm pretty well settled on the new 13" Macbook Pro. Curious whether people have opinions on processor and memory options. Two i5 options and one i7, the latter of which seems completely unnecessary for my use. Then 8gb vs 16gb for the memory. I usually get more but the Apple genius types said the new MacBook is so efficient that even 7-8 open programs running would not tax 8gb. Advice?

I tend to go for the most power and capacity that I can afford, in an attempt to future proof, but that's more of a Windows mentality, because Windows software has a tendency to act like a liquid -- take up the form of its container.  Apple software tends to have much better longevity (from everything I've heard), so I think you just answered your own question -- i7 and 8G, for battery life and lack of overkill.  (i5 don't really take that much less power, they're just i7's that failed quality control.)

And who knows, if you get garageband, you may want the extra power.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Voltron said:

Maxing out is fine financially, but I don't like to have way more machine than needed or waste money for no reason. Do others agree with the biscuit genius?

My general advice to anyone is to get the base model unless you know you need/want better.

Got my mom the new macbook pro (i5/8gb/256gb) for her birthday. She had been using her 1st generation macbook air since it came out and it was starting to have issues. She mostly has a ton of browser tabs open, uses office software and does simple photo/video editing but she is certainly not a power user. The machine is quite snappy and should serve her well for some time to come. 

Here's a question: are the Thunderbolt 3 ports running at full speed on both sides of the 2017 13" MacBook Pros?

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207256

The non-Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro (MacBook Escape) seems to be a decent middle ground:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/10/review-apples-new-kaby-lake-13-macbook-pro-without-touch-bar-unexpectedly-speedy-vs-2016-model

Edited by HiWire

I would not want to have to run my 13" MacBook Pro with Touchbar with less than the 16Gb of RAM it has. YMMV but unless there is serious financial constraints it just does not make sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, HiWire said:

Here's a question: are the Thunderbolt 3 ports running at full speed on both sides of the 2017 13" MacBook Pros?

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207256

According to Apple, no. According to me, in my usage I have been unaware of any real usage difference, but my usage is mainly flash drives. I do plug my docking station(s) into a left side port.

• Like 2

Heck, while you are at it, check out the new iPad Pro as well! :lol:

I am soooooooo happy with it.

Apple has just been killing it on the hardware front lately. Yeah, their prices are high, but damn do they deliver quality hardware.

• Like 1

I'm about to irritate everyone by waxing lyrical about "Ye", as in the title of this thread. This goes back to pre-Caxton times, when there was a letter called thorn, written Þ . This had the sound value "th". So "the" would have been written Þe . Now Caxton, back in the 1400's standardised his printing press on the latin alphabet, and so had no way of writing the thorn. So he picked Y as being the equivalent of Þ .

So "Ye" is actually just pronounced "the".

The thorn, as Birgir will immediately point out, is still a valid letter and sound in Icelandic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morphsci said:

I would not want to have to run my 13" MacBook Pro with Touchbar with less than the 16Gb of RAM it has. YMMV but unless there is serious financial constraints it just does not make sense to me. 

According to Apple, no. According to me, in my usage I have been unaware of any real usage difference, but my usage is mainly flash drives. I do plug my docking station(s) into a left side port.

Good call. I'm buying a few new Macs at work and the 8GB limit of the MacBook Air is starting to look like a deal-killer.

The 12" MacBook needs full Thunderbolt 3 speed instead of USB 3.0 in the next revision. Everything else inside is roughly comparable to the bigger MacBooks, otherwise.

I'm about to irritate everyone by waxing lyrical about "Ye", as in the title of this thread. This goes back to pre-Caxton times, when there was a letter called thorn, written Þ . This had the sound value "th". So "the" would have been written Þe . Now Caxton, back in the 1400's standardised his printing press on the latin alphabet, and so had no way of writing the thorn. So he picked Y as being the equivalent of Þ .
So "Ye" is actually just pronounced "the".
The thorn, as Birgir will immediately point out, is still a valid letter and sound in Icelandic.

That's great! ALT+0168 for the ASCII character, right? I remember using that all the time back in the day, but never knew the background. Perhaps this will help me in a trivia match one day, and not be just a way to make a text smiley with the tongue in the middle instead of on the side.

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have issues when using an external monitor with a MacBook Pro?

I'm moving so my Mac Pro is in storage for a couple of months.

In the meantime, I'm using my mid 2012 quad core 15" MBP. I installed the max 16G of memory and a 1T Evo 850.

I'm using a Thunderbolt2/mini display to DVI cable to my aging Asus PA248 monitor. 

When I watch streaming videos for a while (over an hour usually since my TV is in storage too) my browser freezes. Spinning beachball. 

This happens with Chrome, Chrome Canary and Safari so I don't think it's a problem with the browser (of course it could be).

I've tried restarting the browser, clearing the memory (Memory Clean) but I have to restart the computer to get things going again.

This was all in Clamshell mode (lid closed on the MBP while using a usb keyboard and bluetooth magic mouse).

Crazy as it seems (to me at least) when I use this setup with the lid on the MBP open with the second screen active, no Freeze!

Before I discovered that, I was guessing that it was a GPU issue but now I'm not so sure. 

Just to complicate this issue, I've also got a number of outboard gears connected.

1. Firewire 800 connected to a powered external drive (OWC Mercury Elite Pro) with a 2T Evo 850 (my sample library).

2. The above drive enclosure is daisy chained to Firewire 400 to my Metric Halo ULN-2 (to monitors/headphones/mics)

3.Powered USB hub with my iLok and eLicencer (euro version of the iLok) and my Novation Impulse keyboard

4.The usb hub on my Asus monitor has my Apple full keyboard, a Korg microKey mini keyboard and a PreSonus Faderport control surface.

Before you ask, I've tried disconnecting all of these but this freezing issue occurs with just the MBP and Asus monitor (but I haven't done extensive tests yet).

• 3 weeks later...

So my 27"iMac arrived for work on Wednesday ( I think it is same specs as the one Shelly got: i7/32Gb/512 GB SSD/ Nvidia 580/8Gb). Took almost two months but did end up getting the latest model with better i7 CPU and GPU. It did arrive with the base looking like this:

IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.8a46232b95f495a9bb4b0cd60d6f0e1f.JPG

Annoying but not functionally important, especially to me since it works just fine but technically I don't own it. Nobody at ERAU seems to care but I told them if they want it replaced it is not leaving my desk until the replacement arrives. Also found out that I am technically not listed as part of the Daytona Beach Campus, even though I signed my contract back in April. Glad to see that HR is no better at private vs. public universities. 

Edited by morphsci