Ye Macce Threade

11 minutes ago, morphsci said:

The OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock has a FW800 port.

Yes, that's the kind of docking station I was referring to, but like that one, most offer a lot of functionalities that I don't need, so just a FB3>FW would be perfect and probably more sensibly priced. Hopefully someone makes that by the time I decide to get a new computer.

As if someone was listening,..

I got an email from Sweetwater yesterday and it linked a decent article about the different standards (?) for TB3 and USB-3

So, I guess there are 3 wattage levels mentioned, 10, 60, 100. The ULN-2 needs 12 watts to boot.

I'm guessing that big companies like LG, Samsung etc. have energy savings goals they try to stay under so having the minimum power supply is probably in their best interest.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-mean-to-musicians/?utm_content=article1-button&utm_source=insync&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180203

I’d check, but those you should be able to do the drive and memory yourself. Judging from my 2012, they aren’t too bad to work on. So get what you want for processor but limit the rest. I’d take a look at iFixit for instructions, and look at OWC for pci SSDs. Not sure if Samsung is offering those yet or not. Crucial, etc. for RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What are you using it for? I'd go for the 2TB Fusion drive because it has a larger SSD cache of 128GB... the 1TB Fusion drive might have a 24GB or 32GB cache: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7975498

I'd also go for 16GB of RAM and an i7, but that's just to mitigate the fact that it's a product from 2014. Graphic power is a weak point, but it's good enough to run 1080 resolution. A bit hard to justify at the prices Apple is charging, even refurbished. The strong points are that it has Thunderbolt 2 and you won't have to buy a dongle for Gigabit Ethernet or HDMI. It's probably a good idea to use an old keyboard and mouse... Apple increased the price of the new wireless keyboards and mice.

Actually, the main purpose is for app development for iOS.  Not sure that requires a lot of firepower.  Most of my home music listening is on this, my Windows machine, and most of my work and travel music listening is on mobile devices, FLAC and Tidal cached streaming.  So back to the Mac Mini -- no need for super high power GPU assisted computing, or video power, or audio power.  It'll be largely for an IDE and not much more.  If I wanted that, I'd probably get the new iMac Pro, but I don't have that kind of money.  I kind of thought software had a longer lifespan on Macs, so I didn't think 2014 was that long ago, "in dog years", as it were.

But yes, I think I'd be a little too frustrated with the 1.4.

And yes, that's what I was thinking -- I wouldn't need as much cache memory if I had a fusion drive...I think.  I've actually not ever designed a system around compromises.

I believe you can develop ios apps in a Windows environment.

In any case, I'd find a developer's forum and see how far you can get with what you have before investing in new hardware.

If you get to the point where you think you need to buy a Mac for this, find a used one on Craig's list. You'll be able to buy a nice i7 machine from 2014 for just about nothing (or just ask around here, I've dumped some perfectly good machines for scrap).

Edited by ironbut

26 minutes ago, ironbut said:

I believe you can develop ios apps in a Windows environment.

In any case, I'd find a developer's forum and see how far you can get with what you have before investing in new hardware.

No, you really can't.  I mean, you can, but it's basically faking out a Mac OS, notice #5 on this list:

https://learnappmaking.com/develop-ios-apps-on-windows-pc/

Appreciate your other suggestion, though.  I'll look around, but I'm weary of 2nd hand computers, because you never know what issues it has.  Except here, I would of course, trust people here, but I think I've only ever seen one Mac Mini go on here ever.

Is a hackintosh on the table? Best bang for buck I've found. I can still use osx without paying Apple prices. Doesn't work out of the box or as seamlessly as an actual apple product but saves a considerable amount of money. I am running one from 4 years ago and it still runs like a champ. The processor (i7 - 4770) is starting to show its age while encoding videos but more or less it is still quite good. I doubt I would get a significant boost for an insignificant increase in cost. 

• Like 1

For software development I would go with at least 8Gb RAM and a fusion or SSD drive. The 2014 models are significantly harder to upgrade either RAM or HD/SSD. I also would not go with the headaches associated with a Hackintosh. I like saving money but I hate wasting time more. Mac Sales (OWC) has nice refurbished/upgraded Macs.

• Like 1

Antonio,
The dongle landscape has changed so many times in the last decade that I never buy one until I need it. 
Someone could come up with a TB3>firewire adapter tomorrow for all we know.
Hopefully things will settle down with USB3/TB3 long enough for everybody to assimilate??
Marc, the problem with your LG is it isn't suppling enough power to run the MIO. It used to be that once you got your unit running, it would run off of less juice. If you have your AC adapter try plugging that in then plug your firewire+dongles into your monitor port. Now that it's booted, try removing the AC power. It might run off of bus power (until the unit powers down completely again). 
Me, I just always keep my MIO's attached to AC and firewire. Makes rebooting a little bit of a pain but that's just the way it is.

So, this isn’t work for me. Booted with external power applied, then plugged the dongles into the monitor, then plugged the monitor into my MBP. I don’t get the FireWire light on the front of the MIO.

If I then unplug from the monitor and directly into my MBP, I get the FireWire light and it comes up fine.

Now, if I remove the MIO from my MBP and plug it back into the monitor, still no FW light on the MIO.

Now I rebooted my Mac and tried again with the MIO plugged into the monitor and I get the “Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory” warning in my Mac. I don’t get the FW light on during this message either.

External power was applied for the entire sequence above.
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hopstretch said:

I kind of want a HomePod.

(Should this be in the Mac thread or the iPhone thread?)

Yeah, me too.  I've had an iPhone X and a pair of AirPods for all of a day, though, so I think that is my Apple allowance for a while.  I love both of them.

5 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

I really despise the default music app in iOS.  It's a complete nightmare to operate while driving a stick shift.  Any suggestions for 3rd party apps that have a clean UI?

car record player 1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopstretch said:

My attitude is, if it's an iOS device, then it belongs in the iPhone thread, and if it's Mac, then it belongs in this thread, so...yes.

Thank y'all for the input, especially for the refurb links.  That's the way I was leaning, so appreciate the confirmation and the better prices.

Hackintosh is definitely on the table in the future, but for iOS development, I kind of want legitimate everything.

13 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Yeah, me too.  I've had an iPhone X and a pair of AirPods for all of a day, though, so I think that is my Apple allowance for a while.  I love both of them.

car record player 1.jpg

That's an automatic.
kMdWAvt.jpg

13 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

My attitude is, if it's an iOS device, then it belongs in the iPhone thread, and if it's Mac, then it belongs in this thread, so...yes.

I'll ask there, assuming the search engine shows me the thread.

15 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

I've got a friend who has one coming in on Friday. We are going to play around with it and do some testing with various placements to see how Apple's DSP handles everything. I'm pretty curious to see how it sounds as you move it from place to place in a room.

The lack of an analog inputs makes it a non-starter for me, but there is always version 2 to look forward to!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TMoney said:

The lack of an analog inputs makes it a non-starter for me, but there is always version 2 to look forward to!

Apple is done with physical inputs (and outputs). They've decided wireless is the way, hence the dedicated chipsets to take the pain out of pairing and managing the connection. Mark my words, as soon as wireless charging is deemed "good enough" they'll disappear the Lightning port too.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and, as with the headphone jack, not a single fuck will be given in Cupertino.

• Like 2

Getting rid of all the ports might allow them to make a waterproof iPhone/iPad (IP68).

It's going to be a pain point with A/V gear for a while, though... I can foresee a booming business in XLR to Bluetooth dongles, low-latency wi-fi hubs for mixing equipment, effects, etc... maybe in ten years. Not sure if fiber optics will get a shot before cables disappear.

Edited by HiWire