Ye Macce Threade

3 hours ago, CD44hi said:

What is the Ipad pro to get? Is there a reason why not to go with the Pro?

is the extra screen size on the pro helpful? (I know stupid question, but weighing in the extra size of 10.5 vs 12.9)

Mostly for watching movies, Zwift, email, drawing/calligraphy.

Anyone here using the Apple pencil?

I watch most of my Netflix/Amazon Prime on my IPad, definitely go with the larger screen size.

• Like 1

I totally love my 12 incher (okay Steve, do your worst).

One of the things I use it for is as a music reader (For Score) over my piano and size really does matter to these old eyes.

I also use it with Duet as a second display a lot and having the pencil is the only way to go when manipulating images that aren't scaled (or scaleable) for an ios device.

• Like 1

I may be interested if Juan doesn't get it

Dan, go for it as upon some thought, I would have a need for more memory. Very kind of TMoney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I totally love my 12 incher (okay Steve, do your worst).
One of the things I use it for is as a music reader (For Score) over my piano and size really does matter to these old eyes.
I also use it with Duet as a second display a lot and having the pencil is the only way to go when manipulating images that aren't scaled (or scaleable) for an ios device.

I just came back from the Apple store ( I was there getting my phone screen replaced) had a chance to play with both. The 12-incher is absolutely huge (Steve run with it).
Loved the pencil. Really awesome how it modulated both pressure and angle, just like a real pencil.
I watch most of my Netflix/Amazon Prime on my IPad, definitely go with the larger screen size.

Yeah, I can see that large display being the right call for watching shows.
Cheerio!

• Like 1

Having used both the 12 inch and 10.5 inch iPad Pro, I went with the 10.5 as the 12 is just not iPad portable. If I really need the extra screen real estate I would just go with my 13 inch MacBook Pro. The 12 inch to me is just too big for typical tablet use. I do use my iPad a lot; My usage; iPad > iPhone >MacBook Pro 

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 1

The 12 incher is huge. I am on the same boat as could not imagine portable use with it. But since I don’t have a MBP other than the work machine (that can’t be used for fun stuff), I was considering it until I learned that the 10 incher iPad has a better processor/graphics. Likely going with the 256 GB 10inch iPad pro.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:13 PM, morphsci said:

Having used both the 12 inch and 10.5 inch iPad Pro, I went with the 10.5 as the 12 is just not iPad portable. If I really need the extra screen real estate I would just go with my 13 inch MacBook Pro. The 12 inch to me is just too big for typical tablet use. I do use my iPad a lot; My usage; iPad > iPhone >MacBook Pro 

Jim is wise.  I owned the 12inch pro but thought it was too large to be really portable.  I sold it after a year and got the 10.5 pro and I am really happy with it.  I know some people who love the 12inch since they like to use the split screen feature a lot.  The Apple pencil is great; the writing is much better than most (all?) Windows tablets out there including the Surface Pro IMO. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht207582

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was on Sierra for a couple of years (just finishing up a clean install of High Sierra now). 

I found it to be pretty snappy and probably the best (for audio apps at least) since Snow Leo.

If you're running a DAW (I don't know about video editors), it's a good idea to do a clean install every now and then. 

Things get sluggish after a while and just upgrading the os drags all the crap into the new system files and preferences.

I do when I upgrade to a new named OSX. 

So far, I'm finding High Sierra to be about the same as Sierra (speed wise). I did this upgrade mostly to transition to the new file system and also the word is that the latest version of Pro Tools and Logic Pro X both love being High.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nevermind, I've just checked and my dear old MBP isn't Mojave compatible :( I'm condemned to use HighSierra. I might need to make a fresh install of it to see if it helps with the hiccups I'm experiencing. I've been looking for it at Mac's download page, but they only seem to have the repository of the updates, not the plain High Sierra 10.3.1. Any idea on how or where to get it?

Antonio, before you start a clean install, be sure you have a bootable backup of your hard drive.

If you use Google, be sure that all your passwords and info have been sync'd to you account. The same goes for iCloud. 

You'll be erasing all your Preferences so you might take a little time and write down the settings for your email , Network and Mac accounts (in Preferences and Mail client).

I make a list (or screenshot) of my Applications folder and any passwords/activation codes you'll need to get them running.

BTW, have you installed an SSD or do you have the stock HD? If it's an SSD there's an extra step in installing HS (new file system).

Anyway, here are the instructions on doing a clean install. You'll need a USB thumb drive at least 8G to "create" an installer.

https://blog.macsales.com/42502-tech-101-how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-macos-high-sierra

If you've never used Terminal, you're going to just be copying and pasting so don't sweat it.

If the commands in Terminal seem to be taking forever (over a couple of minutes) you might need to hit "enter".

Here's the High Sierra download.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

Don't over complicate things. These instructions are pretty complete.

If you open High Sierra and there's a bunch of stuff missing, you have it on your back up. Just open the backup in another Finder window and drag and drop your Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies to the new folder on your MBP.

All this is kind of a pain the ass but in the end, it should be like having a new machine.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the detailed and helpful reply, Steve. I should be good with the Time Machine automated backups I've been doing for years on an external USB HDD. The whole unit isn't bootable but I think the partition holding the BU is. I had the idea that a fresh install should be able to extract from a TM backup all the information needed to configure the programs when needed after the OS is installed, but probably I have a wrong idea of how it works.

I swapped the original 500GB HDD with a 250GB SSD, on that intervention I removed the optical drive and added a HDD 1TB unit, which is not the backup one. I also added RAM so the MBP has 8GB now. I did this like four or five years ago. However I didn't make a clean install, I took everything needed from Time Machine. I once tried a clean install from a SD memory card, when Mountain Lion was released, but I didn't get the thing to work, that's why I'm a bit hesitant to try the procedure.

Since I'm absolutely OSX command line incapable I'm more pronte to try Disk Maker to create the bootable installer on a USB thumbdrive. As I'm writing this the HS installer is almost downloaded. Just one question, since I guess the install pack has the basic OS, is it more recommendable to apply all the updates before installing the apps?  I'll check here for further recommendations before the erasing and installing.

Edited by Torpedo

I don't think it particularly matters if you update the os before or after you install the apps.  You should definitely do a clean install, then have it migrate from the time machine backup, which is an option migration assistant will give you.  

• Like 1