Ye Macce Threade

Wow that new iPad Pro looks great. Good thing that I ended up not getting one a while back when I was thinking about it, since I heard the rumors about the new one coming out. Ha ha, just need to finish paying first for the shiny Ti implant, lol. I was laughing other day as many fancy aftermarket bike parts are made out of Ti and ceramics, keeping up with the trend, I guess. [emoji12]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was most happy that 10 Gigabit Ethernet is an option on the new Mac Mini and that they are offering Vega GPUs on the MacBook Pros in November: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/30/18042572/apple-amd-vega-graphics-options-macbook-pro

More details: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13532/amds-vega-mobile-lives-vega-pro-20-16-in-november

Edited by HiWire

I didn’t take pictures and it wasn’t an exciting adventure. It did take a day of tinkering to get full video acceleration but that’s because I installed Mojave and the tools aren’t finished for that yet.

My video encoding time went from 8 hours per hour of video at 1080p to 20 minutes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

Have been an iMac loyalist since the lamp model, but not sure I want a huge slab of screen in my office anymore. Seriously tempted to try a 13" iPad Pro as the main computing device. Can't run Roon though I don't think?

I think there are three big things that keep the iPad from totally replacing a home computer for me.

1. Lesser versions of essential software. For me, this is MS Office. For others it could be video editing software like Premier. The mobile versions of some of the flagship desktop productivity apps are fine for opening and reading docs/spreadsheets/doing light editing, but I absolutely need the full desktop version to do real work.
  2. Games. If you are a gamer nothing can replace a PC.
  3. Can't host a content server. I use plex on my PC to host my music/photos/videos/etc to all the devices in my home.

5 minutes ago, grawk said:

I have basically replaced my laptop with my iPad Pro. I didn’t replace my server or media editing machines with an iPad.

Google docs is more than sufficient for my needs.

I'm with you on that. I have a work laptop I only take out of the office when I go on the road.

For home iPad plus desktop PC works great.

Edited by TMoney

On 10/30/2018 at 9:31 PM, Hopstretch said:

Jokes aside, it does seem like Apple has finally embraced the Mini, which it always treated like a red-headed stepchild.

Agreed, I just may buy one for a home desktop machine. Still waiting for them to get off their ass with the Mac Pro so I can get a real bioinformatics workstation that doesn’t run Linux.

I have an older Synology 5 drive unit and it has been rock solid for over 5 years. I highly recommend them for both their hardware and software. I will also be buying one of the new Mac mini’s as my new home computer. Need to figure out how to mount two monitors since there will not be a a laptop monitor. 

It turns out that of all the points of failure (Macintop, OWC 4 bay external enclosure, elgato thunderbolt dock) it was the ...USB cable I was using between the dock and the enclosure.  I switched to a USB 3.0 cable, even though I'm running at 2.0 speeds.  The device end of USB 3.0 is a much bigger and more robust connector.  Knock on wood, I've had no random disconnects since switching to it.

I'm still toying with the idea of a rack mount NAS at some point.  The form factor works really for me, seeing as I have like 10 free rack spaces and zero free desk space.

• Like 1

I had the same issue with a midi keyboard. Out of nowhere it would just stop working and I had to reconnect it .

Most of the usb cables I had laying around came for free with something or other and it seems like they don't age well or something.

Anyway, I started using some UGREEN cables from Amazon and so far so good (6 months I think). Pretty cheap so you might give em a try. 

I have a feeling it might be related to the female connector on my Novation since I don't have that problem with any of my other 8 usb devices I use all the time.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P0FO1P0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

• 4 weeks later...