Ye Macce Threade

Don't know about Trash but Iris 2 for $29 is insane!

It's in my top 3 synths (of course I'm no huge expert,.. on anything). 

This sale make me want to buy it again!

BTW I'm a big believer in doing that kind of stuff Dusty.

If you really love that effect, you might want to take the time to build a sample instrument with it so you'll always have it.

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apple refreshed the iMac series and it includes an 8 core i9 version with turbo boost up to 5Ghz! 

Thunderbolt 3, Radian 580, upgradeable ram and 4 or 5k 27inch screens. 

Gotta say I'm tempted to finally retire my cheese grater!

I guess my only "if" is how many years the monitor will last or stay current?

But for someone who was going to pull the trigger on a new monitor (like today) it stopped me in my tracks. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TMoney said:

Keep in mind that a new mac pro to replace the trash can is rumored for march. Might make a hell of a lot more sense than the iMac Pro for most users.

That's what I am waiting for as a new bioinformatics machine at work. "It has been a fuck-long time Apple! Let's go!"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phew.  

qOR0cKo.png

XBJ2OgC.png

The landscape has changed since I last did this.  One thing has not changed.  2.5" drives use 4 pegs to stay in place.  I brilliantly forgot to swap them from the ca. 2011 HDD to the new SSD and realized the fact just as I tightened on the last screw on the underside panel of the Mac.  Many screw (and curses) later, I re-opened the laptop, extracted the SSD, attached its 4 pegs and re-installed everything.  Blissfully, the machine booted with no problem.  Then I had to enable TRIM.  Years ago I used a freeware app called TRIM Enabler.  In 2019, said app is no longer free and arguably malware.  Fortunately, there's a command in Terminal that does the same thing: sudo trimforce enable.  The above screenshot confirms it's working.

Even with a 2011 i7, going from 4GB of RAM and a slow AF 2.5" 750GB HDD to 16GB of RAM and a modern SSD is like working on an entirely new machine.  High Sierra was not meant to run with 4GB.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't wait to put my hands on one in person!

Unfortunately, not really for my needs (at first look) but it should be popular with the video crowd.

I'll probably order an i9 iMac this fall.

Looks like Logic Pro X is gonna get a boost!

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 1

Looks like it will be very powerful (it's definitely very expensive). I'm glad they designed it with fewer thermal and power constraints.

I hope they are working on making Metal more efficient, as there is still a bit of a performance gap between similar applications running DirectX vs. Metal (it would be a shame to run Windows 10 on this box).

They will probably jump to PCIe 4.0 (or 5) as soon as possible... I'm wondering if Intel's Optane will work in the new Mac Pro. The lack of Nvidia support means they are going to lean hard on AMD to execute on Navi's performance potential in the short term.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grawk said:

I heard from a little bird that amd won a next gen super computer deal so their gpus should be getting significantly faster soon.

AMD's partners have been showing off PCIe 4.0 on their motherboards lately, so that's an option if Apple jumps to Ryzen and Threadripper in the next Mac Pro update.

Edited by HiWire

2 hours ago, skullguise said:

This means you're getting two....or three?

The sane take is it fills a big gap in their Pro product line and the prices are reasonable for that segment of users -- but if you want one at home to browse the Web, you are an idiot. I therefore rule nothing out.

Edited by Hopstretch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

The display is $5000, plus another $1000 if you want the stand. 

:frantic:

Look at the prices of the monitors it’s competing with. This is seriously a case of Apple using their amazing economies of scale to make things *cheap.* 

Edited by EdipisReks1

I looked up the "nano-texture" matte option on the display... it's an interesting idea. I wonder if they'll look at offering it on the other products later. Who is going to be able to use the display without the stand? Almost makes me glad I have a spare VESA arm under my desk.

Edited by HiWire