Ye Macce Threade

16 minutes ago, grawk said:

I miss the finger print reader.  Face unlock is a pain in the ass in the car.

I have zero issues, but I also have CarPlay.

16 minutes ago, n_maher said:

Thanks. 

I also don't think the cheaper Watch will kill FitBit or Garmin.

I don't think you realize just how close to the edge both companies are.  FitBit is barely solvent.  Garmin is close.  "Hurting sales," at this point, is a death sentence for both.

Edited by EdipisReks1

My sainted mother turns 78 tomorrow.  I spent an hour today on the phone guiding her through the process of updating the firmware on her her AirPort (one I bought from HC's own Salty IIRC.)   After a repeated error message, having her reboot the AirPort three times and her cable modem twice, we were successful.  The updated decided it was automagically applied after appearing to fail repeatedly.  

Apple discontinued the AirPort a number of years ago at this point and didn't make a replacement.  I don't know what I'm going to do when it's time for a replacement.  I really appreciate the UI and bulletproof nature of the AirPorts.

• Like 1

The $199 Apple Watch won’t kill Fitbit and Harmon because there are enough people that hate Apple and/or would never buy an Apple product because they assume everything is overpriced that they will still have a market.

I’ve had every version of the Apple Watch but I think I’ll pass on this one. I still love the 4.

I backgraded (for app compatibility reasons) to macOS Sierra 10.12 this week and my 10-year old Bluetooth Apple Mouse is freezing intermittently now. I've got a newer Magic Mouse connected via Bluetooth and it doesn't have the same problem, but I hate that this seems to have been a problem for years (I did all the fixes – NVRAM and SMC reset, dumped the Bluetooth .plist, and reset the Bluetooth system, pulled external monitor and USB hub, disabled Handoff, etc.). I'm hoping that upgrading to a newer macOS version someday will fix whatever is wrong with my Mighty Mouse.

It was working perfectly on another computer running the same version of macOS last week. The MacBook's trackpad is working perfectly well, too.

Edited by HiWire

I might take this as an opportunity to get a sweet Razer DeathAdder Elite, then. I've been using the older DeathAdder Chroma quite happily on my home computer for a few years.

The Logitech m325 looks great too and I'm also tempted by the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S (if I can find it on sale).

I started buying Logitech K380 keyboards to replace my coworkers' broken Apple keyboards, but they discontinued all the cool colors as soon as I discovered them.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:01 PM, shellylh said:

The $199 Apple Watch won’t kill Fitbit and Harmon because there are enough people that hate Apple and/or would never buy an Apple product because they assume everything is overpriced that they will still have a market.

I’ve had every version of the Apple Watch but I think I’ll pass on this one. I still love the 4.

I'm still paying for my two Series 4 watches for a few more months (ATT zero interest plans) , so I'll be skipping this one too.  I bet Series 6 is going to be killer! I do want that always-on screen, but what I really want is a battery life that doesn't go down by 50% after a run when I use GPS and stream to my AirPods using the AppleWatch. I'm sure part of the issue is where I live; there are some areas in my neighborhood that have very poor cellular reception, and I'm sure that the watch is having to push wattage hard somewhere between miles 2 and 4, as my podcasts often stop for a while there, and I've seen a precipitous battery drop at around the same point.

Edited by EdipisReks1

^^ That's essentially my issues with any "overly smart" smart watch.  I swear there has to be a sweet spot in this ecosystem for an Apple product that does most of what the current watch does but has 5x the battery life and is wi-fi only.  I'd buy that in a heartbeat, if they put it in a round case.  Picky, I am.

• Like 2

It isn't gonna be for everyone, but Dark Mode on an OLED iPhone screen is something else.

"But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice." -Yoda

First impressions of the new watch are very positive vs. the 3rd gen one I had been using up until I broke it over the 4th of July weekend.

The always-on display is a game changer for the watch and was badly needed. Not having to do the "apple watch flip" with the wrist every time you want to check the time is a godsend.

Also, won't be true for everybody but I really like the lighter weight of the base aluminum watch. There are some people who like a more substantial watch on their wrist but I prefer something I barely notice. This fits the bill. The base aluminum model is noticeably lighter than the Stainless or Edition models. Yes, it feels cheaper as a result. At least for me comfort is paramount.

IMG_0115.thumb.jpeg.93b5ed3954140e6b04baeb4fcb1aea29.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just a gentle reminder,..

OSX Catalina has been released today and it is 64 bit only.

If you are using any older software which has not been updated to 64 bit, it will no longer run (correctly? at all?) in Catalina.

For example, Pro Tools has not been updated and even though Reaper is 64 bit, the plug in it uses to convert flac files is not (or at least the last time I checked it wasn't). 

In an earlier post I linked a free app that will check your system for compliance so if you haven't checked, that's a painless way to check.

Myself, I have several mission critical apps that won't. 

• Like 1

I installed macOS Catalina on an external SSD drive on Tuesday and played around with it yesterday.

It is definitely buggy – the App Store gave me a blank screen when I changed network settings and stayed blank after I restarted the app. The network settings pulled the wrong numbers from DHCP so I set them manually and it kept them after that. I ended up restarting the system to fix the App Store.

I installed the Server app just to check it out. They've gutted (deprecated) all the functions, leaving only Xsan and User/Group management of devices. It was laggy starting up and also switching between tabs.

On the other hand, everything else feels super snappy. I think they deliberately went through all the GUI/startup code to preload and optimize response times. Safari is particularly fast – loading the Wikipedia home page, for example, is significantly faster.

I'll see if I can find time today to test Microsoft Office and the Adobe Creative Cloud apps.

Edited by HiWire