Ye Macce Threade

14 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

11 Pro Max delivered today and that is one snappy phone, yo!

Wait till you get to the end of the day and have 30% more battery life left than you did before. The battery improvement is the best thing about the new phones, IMO.

I'm usually a year behind on OSX and that seems like enough time for "foot draggin' -cheap ass- head in the sand" developers to get with the program and update their software (if they are still in business that is).

Otherwise, there's a couple of shells that can bridge some out of date plugins.

In the mean time, be sure and create an installer before it's updated. Lately, you couldn't "jump" over a named update so you had to search for an old installer online. Those can be great places to pick up malware.

It is always hard to tell the signal from the noise with the whining that occurs any time Apple ever does anything. The plural of anecdote is not data, but if there is smoke there could be fire.

I updated my work computer on Monday and have been having no real issues. All the apps I use work just fine, including MS Office. I didn't use any apps that weren't updated from 32-bit, so I'm sure that helps.

• Like 2

In all the years I've used OSX ( since Tiger) I've never had an issue with the OS (although I realize that there have been bugs just like any other software that complex).

It's the developers of the other software that I use that is the problem. 

There are the usual suspects (cough, Pro Tools/Avid, cough) that hold up the show.

It's a minor gripe for me but I feel for the big studios that have invested $50k+ for the pleasure of using the Avid ecosystem. They really must hate it. 

But like I said, for me, what's the difference if I upgrade to the latest this October or next September?

I just have to remember to make an installer before it's replaced in the App Store.

Edited by ironbut

Interestingly enough the new Mac mini had Mojave installed. I was expecting it to have Catalina. I will be updating it to Catalina as soon as I get it totally set-up in Mojave and get a complete back-up done. This is the perfect system for the first Catalina install since my current music server works just fine. So even if Catalina totally destroys it no big deal.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:38 AM, morphsci said:

Interestingly enough the new Mac mini had Mojave installed. I was expecting it to have Catalina. I will be updating it to Catalina as soon as I get it totally set-up in Mojave and get a complete back-up done. This is the perfect system for the first Catalina install since my current music server works just fine. So even if Catalina totally destroys it no big deal.

I'm curious to get your impressions of Sidecar.

IIRC, you were using Duet to use your iPad for a second screen. I'd be interested in how Apple have implemented this.

Damn you have a good memory Steve. I do use Duet, which always works great for me. Sidecar is one of the Catalina features I am looking forward to. Hopefully Sidecar works as well as Duet.
I hit a little hitch with the Mac mini. It seems I already have five computers authorized for iTunes so I have to deauthorize one of the two computers I have at work. A music server should probably have an iTunes authorization. First time I have come upon that limitation. Still don’t really understand that one.

Edited by morphsci

• 2 weeks later...

Do have a bit of a battery drain problem on my iPhone 7+ but my IPad also seems just fine, maybe even better battery life. To be fair I seemed to start having battery life problems on the phone starting with my first upgrade to iOS 13, which was 13.1, doesn’t really seem any worse on 13.1.3.

Edited by morphsci

1 hour ago, HiWire said:

Apple announced the new noise-canceling AirPods Pro yesterday.

Looks like their Beats investment is going to start paying off soon. The 4.5-hour battery life is too short for my liking, but it well sell well regardless.

My AirPods currently last about two hours, so this is gonna be a perfect.  They are my most used tech that isn't a phone or computer.