Ye Macce Threade

6 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

I just don't think Apple/ARM are going to have anything in the class of a 10-core i9 Intel chip for a while yet. Which is why they are doing this last iMac in the old form factor as a 2 - 3  year stopgap, in my uninformed opinion. I wouldn't buy an Intel laptop now, because that is where the focus will be, but think desktop performance with the new silicon is still a way off?

That's what I was thinking, plus no one can assure us that Apple is going to develop a groundbreaking processor any better than Intel would be in three years. The only concern would be that Apple managed to make an awesome way over the top device that could deem obsolete this new model in three years, so it won't support any OSX update. I don't think that's going to happen, Apple is selling right now many other products which have more limited performance, based on Intel hardware, whose owners won't be happy if that happens.

I'll keep an eye on the RAM specifications, those Corsair are DR4 2666GHz PC4 21300 modules compatible with 9 and 10th generation Intel based computers. Could these new Macs sport any faster? It'll be more expensive...

Whatever the ram specs say regarding speed (on mine it's 2666) is usually as fast as a stock Mac can use so anything over that would be a waste of money.

In the real world, the difference won't be perceivable (maybe in some gaming apps) for most users. I know in audio production it doesn't make a difference.

There are lots of articles on the web that get down to the nano seconds per hz calculations but here's a pretty simple one (couldn't find the super detailed one I looked at and didn't understand before).

https://www.thetechlounge.com/blog/ram-speed-and-timings/

Edited by ironbut

Macs can be picky about memory, too. I usually go with whatever is labelled "Mac or Apple Memory" rather than going by specs alone, as I've had some problems upgrading iMacs and MacBooks in the past.

Since you can't alter memory settings on the logic board, there's no point getting overclocker memory unless it has a good chance of satisfying the basic requirements. In general, you don't want large heat sinks or spreaders that can get in the way of properly seating the memory modules.

Edited by HiWire

23 hours ago, HiWire said:

Macs can be picky about memory, too. I usually go with whatever is labelled "Mac or Apple Memory" rather than going by specs alone, as I've had some problems upgrading iMacs and MacBooks in the past.

Since you can't alter memory settings on the logic board, there's no point getting overclocker memory unless it has a good chance of satisfying the basic requirements. In general, you don't want large heat sinks or spreaders that can get in the way of properly seating the memory modules.

I'm not sure if there are less added taxes/duties but Amazon es does distribute OWC memory. 

You could go to the OWC web site, get the part number, then find it on Amazon es and try ordering it there (search Other World Computing).

If you have any question about the exact part you need, the OWC sales folks will be happy to tell you.

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

The Big Sur public beta dropped today. There hasn't been a MacOS beta wanted to try more in years, but I don't dare install it on my work computer.

I can't wait to hear what others think of it heading up to the public release.

https://www.apple.com/macos/big-sur-preview/

If you have enough space, dual boot.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/dual-boot-mac-3659676/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ironbut said:

I'm not sure if there are less added taxes/duties but Amazon es does distribute OWC memory. 

You could go to the OWC web site, get the part number, then find it on Amazon es and try ordering it there (search Other World Computing).

If you have any question about the exact part you need, the OWC sales folks will be happy to tell you.

If you have enough space, dual boot.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/dual-boot-mac-3659676/

Thanks. I've needed to search more deeply (Amazon search engine sucks) but I found it. They have OWC 2x32 modules at 360€ ($426) all included. They have Crucial memory, same specs and size, a bit cheaper at 340€ ($403). When I was more into building my PCs Crucial had a good reputation, I don't know if that still stands.

As a couple of you know, while the pandemic continues I'm switching remote video events/meetings from my house. My desk has four MacBooks running endpoints, videos and slides, an ATEM switcher, a multi-view monitor and a do-everything-else fifth control MacBook. I'm out of space (so adding normal sized extra monitors is out) and need more from that control MacBook (usually running 4-5 apps during events that I need to instantly view, often without hands to jump between). Which lead me to this. By chance anyone have experience with it or suggestions for similar? I wonder how the recent MacBook's top/screen would handle the weight? 

spacer.png

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

Thanks. I've needed to search more deeply (Amazon search engine sucks) but I found it. They have OWC 2x32 modules at 360€ ($426) all included. They have Crucial memory, same specs and size, a bit cheaper at 340€ ($403). When I was more into building my PCs Crucial had a good reputation, I don't know if that still stands.

That's a decent price for 64G.

Crucial makes great stuff. I'm using their MX500 SSD's instead of Samsungs these days.

I don't use OWC SSD's since I had to send a couple back in the early ssd days.

Edited by ironbut
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's a Nordost Odin left in Patrick's root cellar for 98 days, then cut with a serrated knife, hand woven into a nine-strand litz, and terminated with proprietary plugs cut off display Galaxy Notes at a local Orange shop.  The mic itself is unimportant, the sound is all in the cable.

Edited by Sherwood
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blessingx said:

Not Mac specific, but anyone have a recommendation for a sturdy USB-C do everything third party cable? 

For "plain" USB-C cables, I like the Anker Powerline (in general, their cables seem to be pretty decent for aftermarket). If you're going to need a Thunderbolt connection or will need to charge a MacBook, you'll want to opt for a higher-rated cable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...