Ye Macce Threade

I sold all my books ages ago, though I wish I held onto them. I had TRO 3025, TRO 3050, all the house sourcebooks, etc. The clan invasion was interesting enough, but the story just goes so off the rails afterwards, and I prefer the more traditional political intrigue of the older storylines.

Edit: Here's the intro for HBS's Battletech game. You'll recognize a number of names and events.

Edited by Fitz

I remember the AC-20 had a short range, which makes the imagery even more hilarious.

The BattleTech sourcebook writers may have been paid by the word: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/battletech-the-1980s-in-space-forever.751195/

The "Unseen" mechs were a major part of the game for me (I was also a Robotech/anime fan), so the new, ugly Mech designs haven't captured my imagination like the originals. 

Edited by HiWire

1 minute ago, TMoney said:

I want to join a Hunchback-only clan that runs in, fires off their AC-20s, then runs away.

Doesn't exactly run, but my favorite build in the HBS Battletech game is a King Crab with dual AC20s and as many SRMs as I can fit. It takes a while to get into range, but once it does, it literally deletes any enemy from existence.

So... my Windoze machine (new in June) is screwing up on OneDrive stuff. IT wanted to give me a Macbook Pro instead. Since I've been a Mac user since the '80s, I was game, until I discovered that Macs don't deal with OLE embedded docs well. No go on embedded pdfs or ppt or anything other than Word or Excel. WTF? Disappointing, but since I really need that at work, so no go on the Mac. Shit.

Is this MS or Adobe, or both on this?

I would think the folks in Cupertino are pretty happy with today's ruling. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being disaster and 10 being maintain the status quo I'd say this is probably a 7 or 8 for Apple.

I would think this means most apps are about to go free and require you to sign up for a subscription outside of Apple's payment system so as to dodge the Apple Tax.

Good take:

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 2

On a semi-serious note the inclusion of a 3x optical zoom lens on the Pro phones is actually interesting to be.  I use the telephoto lens on my ancient XS Max all the dang time (just 2x) and more capability there coupled with the wide-angle side of things is great in my opinion. I'm edging closer to the idea that my phone really has replaced 99% of what I'd use a traditional SLR or mirrorless camera for but with kids and sports I keep creeping back towards the dark side...

• Like 2

I'm thinking a full-power iPad mini is going to be a great fit for a lot of people. Going to upgrade the kids from XRs to 13s at Christmas and just deciding on color for my 13 Pro Max -- the new blue is a little too powder puff and the gold is OTT, so I guess we're back to the good old black or white?

• Like 6

Pretty painless upgrade to iOS 15 today… at least on my current gen Apple devices.

I might be imagining things, but I feel like they definitely put some big dev effort in to the 120hz animations and smoothness. I have not seen it written up in any of the reviews, and without a second device side by side running iOS 14 it is impossible to tell for sure, but things feel really good on my iPad Pro. It would certainly make sense that 120hz mode would be a focus with a whole lot more 120hz Apple devices about to come online this Friday.

• Thanks 1