Ye Macce Threade

On 9/24/2021 at 12:33 PM, swt61 said:

The problems of modern man are immense in scope. Oh for the simple days of chasing down your food and avoiding being food.

If we were to ever revert to those days, I'd want Brent as my wingman!

So are you saying that you are sure you can run faster than Brent therefore he will be the first one taken down by the predators? And to make sure you will kneecap him with a nail gun just for that added margin?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I realized Steve Jobs had been gone for 10 years.  Crazy to think that Tim Apple has been at the helm of AAPL for a decade.  He's done a bang up job keeping the company in the black, but I miss the vision (warts and all) of Jobs.  A joke we told in the late 1990s:

What's the difference between Apple and Microsoft?  Some people actually like the megalomaniacal asshole who runes Apple.

I was looking at the old refurb 16" Intel MacBook Pros last week: had one at near $6,000 and a less extreme one at around $4,000 (32 vs 64GB RAM, 5500M vs 5600M, and 2TB vs 4TB SSD). That's a lot of money to ask for something with a 2018-era CPU and a 2019-era GPU.

At least you'll get more performance and battery life out of these new ones.

The pricing of the current M1 Mac Minis and MacBook Air computers, especially refurbished, offers one of the better values I've seen from Apple (relatively) in years.

Edited by HiWire

One of my big concerns with the old 16" MBP was the reported fan noise from connecting an external monitor. It's nice that they wanted to make sure thermals were under control (without throttling performance), but I prefer a silent computer if possible. The new one should be quiet.

Edited by HiWire

So much progress with this refresh and then they go and put a fucking notch in a laptop display?  I literally don't have words for that.  How this is in any way, shape, or form better than a slightly larger top bezel is beyond me. My currently laptop has 5/16" bezels and they look plenty small to my eye and in no way objectionable and houses enough crap in the top section to support windows hello (or whatever they call it) pseudo facial recognition for log-in purposes.

macbook-pro-2021-notch-feature2.jpg

• Sad 2