Ye Macce Threade

What is this ship? 💩

I downloaded Monterey yesterday but I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet.

It's very purple. 😈

P.S. I had to run Monterey on a 2020 MacBook Pro this morning to wipe a Big Sur volume and both Finder and Disk Utility crashed several times. I think most people should wait a few months before upgrading to Monterey.

Edited by HiWire
  • Haha 1

Thinking about buying an M1 Mini to replace my 2012 i7 Mini. I'm assuming that neither the RAM or internal drive are user replaceable? If so, thinking about going internal 256G SSD and 16Gb RAM ($899) plus an external Samsung 1T SSD for $139? Sound reasonable?

Sounds like neither RAM nor the SSD are upgradeable on the M1 Mini.

Are you buying a refurbished unit? They have the same warranty as new Macs.

Your specs sound reasonable for general purpose computing. I'm not sure when they'll update the Mini next... it might be next year. I think the current M1 prices are some of the better bargains out there for cost vs. performance.

Agreed. The 16G/256G at $899 was what I was looking at. Paying Apple another $200 to go to 512G SSD is a bit much, as the Samsung external is less for a 1T. Just concerned as far as usability, i.e. moving Documents to a different drive, etc.

Still clunking along on my 2014 27" iMac, which can't run any new versions of MacOS going forward. Pretty sure there will be a M1-powered iMac Pro along in the Spring next year, but I'm kinda tempted by the additional flexibility of a MacBook Pro + external monitor, even if I'd be using the laptop docked like 80+ percent of the time. And I could get that right naow, which is always better than waiting to be gratified. OTOH, I've been an iMac guy since the G4 lamp days and change is scary ...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

“I'm kinda tempted by the additional flexibility of a MacBook Pro + external monitor, even if I'd be using the laptop docked like 80+ percent of the time.”

This is exactly how I use my 16”. It lives on my desk at work during the week with an external 4K monitor and comes home with me on weekends or when I go on the road.

I think the biggest thing you’ll miss with laptop + monitor vs iMac is that the iMac will likely have some amazing 27” (or bigger) ProMotion HDR display. The iMac also may get more cores/GPU but these M1 Pro/Max MBPs already fly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Apple Music boss admits he can’t hear any difference between compressed and lossless audio: “our ears aren’t that good” | MusicRadar" https://www.musicradar.com/amp/news/apple-music-lossless-audio-dolby-atmos-difference

"Apple's Eddy Cue on Spatial Audio, Future of Music – Billboard" https://www.billboard.com/pro/apple-music-eddy-cue-spatial-audio-lossless-future-of-music/

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

Man, AAPL has just sure made using the Migration Assistant (formally one of the platform's greatest strenghts) into an absolute nightmare to use.  

Yup, tried it three different ways recently for my Dad as he migrated to a new Macbook.  Utter fucking failure.

I've found using Migration Assistant with a Time Machine backup works better than a Mac-to-Mac transfer, even with Ethernet cable. Moving to a different operating system is also dicey, so keeping each computer at the same version of macOS (if possible) reduces complications as well. FileVault also introduces its own issues, so I tend to keep it off if I'm thinking about transferring the system (Keychains can get messed up in the migration as well).

I think macOS Monterey (12.2.1) is still buggy at this point, so Catalina and Big Sur are better bets for mission-critical systems.

Edited by HiWire