Ye Macce Threade

The new machine is certainly shiny.  This 16" display is pure pleasure after 6 mos of staring at the three ghetto-ass panels I have attatched to my Wintendo.  Also everything is amazingly fast and responsive.  With that said, this has been the bumpiest ride in a new Mac I've ever had.  I have mostly sorted out 1Password (NOT the SaaS version, KTHX) now.  Mostly.  AgileBits are downright malicious with their browser extensions.  I sorted out a weird "log in to you Apple account to continue" issue that had been resulting in an endless gear icon yesterday.  I even got notoriously finicky Mixlr up and running./

Where I have not been so lucky is Traktor.  I installed a fresh version of Native Instruments's utility "Native Access" and through that a fresh version of Traktor.  So far it launches and immediately beachballs.  I've done a number of google searches and NI swear up and down that the latest version of Traktor Pro 3 (3.5.2) works just fine with OS X Monterey.  Not for me, it doesn't.  I haven't even attempted to import my 6000+ tracks, nor gotten to the point where I can try.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, Grahame said:

Gentlemen, start your speculation.

Take it at face value. Big announcement Tim Apple is being replaced by a holographic, more diverse and musically talented Steve Jobs 2.0 AI. The "one more thing" is the singularity is reached and our deaths follow as a band plays us out. 

Edited by blessingx

23 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

image.png.ec04c093c807e9a0994d2d4a50726a0b.png

Studio plus screen - I don't think I will push the Buy button today... 

If there’s still a Pro coming how much will it and screen cost? More or less than a Tesla 3?

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That permanently attached power cord gives me flashbacks to 1990s components.  I remember in the late aughts when I donated two LCD panels to my friends DVD rental business (which I motored up to in my model T) because his were failing.  Remember the bad capacitor curse of the first half of the 00s?  My frind's business got hit pretty hard by bad caps.  I helped him replace two monitors and a HT receiver, but I digres...

Both of the LCDs that I gave away had permanently attached VGA cables.  One of them also had a permanent power cord as well.  Apple's choice makes even less sense given that they engineered a very nice magnetic power cord for newer iMacs.  I expect better both from Tim Apple and for a fricken $1600-$1900 display.  For that money, even from Apple, there are some basics that need covering.  A power cord contemporary with the century in which we are living is one of them.

There's also the issue of the "Studio Display" being a really poor match for the fricken Mac Studio, with which it shares a name and presumably a market segment.  I have talked to a number friends who produce music, video and photos.  I have a gentleman's bet with them that more or less all of them will be buying a Studio in the next few years.  The amount of desk space and power consumption it saves vs a cheesegrater Mac Pro is something that looks appealing to basically everyone.  The only holdout I can name in my personal friend group is the one guy who has make use of a couple PCI-E cards.  

...also, anyone else find it highly amusing that El Cabeza de Sputnik needs an app called "Magnet"?

• Angry 1

• 2 weeks later...

OWC makes a nice Thunderbolt 4 dock.  It's unobtanium.  "Ships in 98 Days."  The CalDigit TS3 dock, which is built like a brick scheisshaus, is now OOP and going up in price on the used market.  It's only Thunderbolt 3 (meaning it works fine with Macs, but will have weird incompatibility issues with Winders laptops) but it has an optical digitial audio output (which is appealing to an incredibly narrow demographic that includes me.)

Everyone's favorite high pitched, hyperactive Canadian tech dropper does a deep dive on the guts of the Mac Studio.  It turns out that with considerable work, it is possible to user service the SSD.  Much more interesting to me: there are at least two different PSU designs for the Studio, and they are interchangeable.

• Angry 1