Ye Macce Threade

fuck! just ordered a 13 - MBP the $1700 model so is 8gb going to be annoying? I can probably try it out for a while then switch to 16mb within the return period. Also is apple care worth the $$? 

Thanks I am planning on selling my 2011 MBP and 2011 mini to partially fund this madness, thinking I'd get $400-500 for the MBP and same for the mini. Both are upgraded with a SSD. I couldn't resist the new MBP form factor. 

When I switched to my 16Gb MBP from my 8Gb MBA the difference was noticeable, but I am also sure the processor had a little to do with it. I was also using a few programs that load as much as possible into RAM so that also skewed it a bit. I always get Apple Care. Used it twice and definitely worth it both those times.

So my 27"iMac arrived for work on Wednesday ( I think it is same specs as the one Shelly got: i7/32Gb/512 GB SSD/ Nvidia 580/8Gb). Took almost two months but did end up getting the latest model with better i7 CPU and GPU. It did arrive with the base looking like this:
IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.8a46232b95f495a9bb4b0cd60d6f0e1f.JPG
Annoying but not functionally important, especially to me since it works just fine but technically I don't own it. Nobody at ERAU seems to care but I told them if they want it replaced it is not leaving my desk until the replacement arrives. Also found out that I am technically not listed as part of the Daytona Beach Campus, even though I signed my contract back in April. Glad to see that HR is no better at private vs. public universities. 

Yay for the new computer! Sorry about the stand though; how in the world did they happen???

When I switched to my 16Gb MBP from my 8Gb MBA the difference was noticeable, but I am also sure the processor had a little to do with it. I was also using a few programs that load as much as possible into RAM so that also skewed it a bit. I always get Apple Care. Used it twice and definitely worth it both those times.

When I upgraded my 2012 Mini (i7) from 4G to 16G, I did notice it as well but from what I can tell, the extra 8G is rarely if ever used. SSD made a huge difference as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

love this new machine (2017 13" MBP) super fast and shockingly compact coming off a 2011 MBP 15. Worth every penny of the $1800 they want tor it. Getting used to the lack of variety of ports and the dongle bullshit but all things considered a great machine.

• Like 2

I have unexpectedly acquired an absolutely massive desk (9" by 4") for my new office. It is our old dining room table, which is itself now adjudged by the professionals to be too small for the new dining room.

:rolleyes:

Sitting in the middle of this thing with one iMac -- even the big one -- is going to look quite ridiculous. This seems to call for a multi-monitor setup a la Colin but I'm not sure how best to pull that off in the current Mac universe?

Or I guess there's a two-chair option -- computing at one end, listening at the other with all the gear on top instead of in a rack? Could fit a pretty big turntable ...

What says the collective?

• Like 2

Nottingham Analogue if you want to keep it cost (and time searching) sensible, or a Micro Seiki RX8000 if you are ready to spend some time and effort, with a decent 12" arm. Going insane, I don't know, there are lots of expensive nonsensical things these days, just stay away from Clearaudio, please :D

I use an ultra-wide monitor at work and I love it. I highly recommend it over multi-monitor unless you actually have a use case that requires multiple monitors.

I use a 34" ultra-wide, but if you wanted to do TOTL then this Dell 38" is state-of-the-art.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-38-curved-monitor-u3818dw/apd/210-amrc/monitors-monitor-accessories

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since it looks like upgrading my "cheese grater" MacPro is going to be a couple of years down the road, I did my best to optimize my old (2012) 6 core buddy.

Maxed out the Ram to 48Gigs

Only one spinning disk left Sammy Evo Pro 240G system drive, Evo Pro 500G audio drive (recording/mixing/mastering), Evo 850 2T Sample Library, 2T Toshiba HDD main storage

PCI usb3 card (been in there for a while) x4 usb3

EV3A sc GTX1070 Nvidia graphics card for 4-5k multi monitor, VR ready

And I picked up the latest 12.7 iPad Pro and a pencil to use as a touch monitor (so far with Duet, Lemur, Pro Tools/Eucon and manipulating with the pencil, it's awesome!)

ipadPro.jpg

MacPro.jpg

• Like 8

Yes

The processor is 3.3G so there isn't a lot more speed to be gained.

For serious performance gains, spreading the load to a second computer is the way to go for the work I do.

So far, I haven't hit that wall yet. When I do, I'll put together a Windows machine for a server (way cheaper).

I'd pay a pretty penny for Thunderbolt though.

Edited by ironbut

So our old AirPort Extreme (the last Mac mini form factor model) just gave up the ghost. Was working when we woke up, then about an hour ago it went away. No power at all. Luckily I had bought a new model refurb a couple of weeks ago. Now up and running with much better speed and consistent connectivity throughout the house. Was actually going to use the new one in the new house so we would have connectivity in both houses during the overlap. Guess it is time to order another refurb.

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded two test drives to macOS High Sierra (10.13) yesterday and loaded a bunch of apps on them. No problem so far – everything seems mostly the same as in Sierra. The caveat is that neither one upgraded to APFS... one is a traditional hard drive and the other is an OWC Aura SSD inside an Envoy USB enclosure. The only app that complained is DiskWarrior, which is not surprising, considering how closely it is tied to the operating system.

I am considering testing High Sierra on an "unsupported system", but it might take a while to figure things out: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/page-63

Edited by HiWire

• 2 months later...

No doubt you've seen this by now if you are running High Sierra,

Pro tip: You can log into macOS High Sierra as root with no password

excited_children.jpg

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/28/root_access_bypass_macos_high_sierra/

but at least it's been fixed.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/29/apple_macos_high_sierra_root_bug_patch/

red faces all round