I've had bad luck with AMD. A couple AMD-based motherboards and video cards have failed (all running at stock clock speeds), and none with Intel/Nvidia so far.

Edited by HiWire
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not to be melodramatic but does anyone else remember a couple of years ago when Tyll was still running the late, lamented Inner Fidelity and wrote that, someday, the really big game changer would be w

Got my new i9 iMac installed, up and running. 8 core i9 processor with Radian Pro Vega 48, 512 ssd, 64 G ram (2 sticks so I can go up to 128 if I go crazy). My external drives are in a Black

The MBP is already fixed and back at my house (in perfect working order)!

Posted Images

On 3/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, HiWire said:

I've had bad luck with AMD. A couple AMD-based motherboards and video cards have failed (all running at stock clock speeds), and none with Intel/Nvidia so far.

Isn't having bad luck and things screw up/have to be tweaked/messed with part of the fun of computers? It's kinda like being into vinyl as an audiophile, no?

Yes, I think the AMD demographic tends to go for hot-rod builds, but I had 2 motherboards, 2 video cards, and a TV tuner card fail in my 20-year experience with AMD (all ASUS) as well as multiple chip failures in MacBook Pros, so I'll avoid them in personal systems from now on. I did think about going with a different OEM (like Gigabyte), but I think the overall experience would be about the same.

Speaking of Gigabyte:

Edited by HiWire
41 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

Isn't having bad luck and things screw up/have to be tweaked/messed with part of the fun of computers? It's kinda like being into vinyl as an audiophile, no?

It was definitely a normal part of life with ATI cards before AMD bought them, though as far as I understand AMD does still have some of that classic ATI driver jank for their video cards.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...