Linear tracking tone arms experience

shaizada

Donald,

How are your skills with setting up an arm like the Master TQ-1? Just curious if I can learn some of them from you if I ever do end up owning such an arm.

It's been a long time since I set up a Sowther/Clearaudio tonearm. You need a lot of patience for it because it can get frustrating at times.

The early Clearaudio TQ-1 arm uses thick Discovery wire which was much stiffer than the very fine wire originally used by Sowther. This thick wire resisted free movement of the cart along the track. You actually had to tilt it downwards a slight amount towards the spindle for it to track all the way across the record :palm: I hope they've improved this.

It's been a long time since I set up a Sowther/Clearaudio tonearm. You need a lot of patience for it because it can get frustrating at times.

The early Clearaudio TQ-1 arm uses thick Discovery wire which was much stiffer than the very fine wire originally used by Sowther. This thick wire resisted free movement of the cart along the track. You actually had to tilt it downwards a slight amount towards the spindle for it to track all the way across the record :palm: I hope they've improved this.

Hey Donald,

My understanding of the current wire used in the Master TQ-1 is a very fine and easy to bend wire. They definitely improved this aspect from the complaints of the stiffer wire used in the older Sowther arms.

From all that I am reading, seems like it's a pain to setup, but once setup, the musical gratification is on an unprecedented scale.

Hey Donald,

My understanding of the current wire used in the Master TQ-1 is a very fine and easy to bend wire. They definitely improved this aspect from the complaints of the stiffer wire used in the older Sowther arms.

From all that I am reading, seems like it's a pain to setup, but once setup, the musical gratification is on an unprecedented scale.

I wouldn't go so far as to say unprecedented ;) For that you need a Forsell or Goldmund :cool:

The Sowther wires were incredibly small and flexible. The first Clearaudio tonearms used the stiff Discovery wire. I'm glad to hear they've addressed this problem. Where do you live?

Not a huge fan of VPI although I like the Aries and HRX but not the scout or scoutmaster series. If you get an Aries I would suggest the upgraded platter and a cart on the lively side of nuetral. I love my Galibier but it us more tweaky and takes 3/6 months to recieve. I would go raven, teres or redpoint over the Vpi line or clearaudio and stay away from acrylic platters.

Most of the feedback I get about the VPI tables is that they are very dark sounding in general. Plus having no suspension, they are somewhat difficult in regards to vibrational feedback. However, I think that stand should address the problem of suspension.

I've heard the Teres but it sounded overly colored to my ears (t was mindblowing on classical music)...boy was that a huge turntable but just a beauty to look at:

certus_460.jpg

Voltron, the I've also read so much about the TW Acustic tables, but haven't gotten a chance to hear it. But, at $18,000, I won't even think about it! :) The Raven one is more affordable, but there is just too little feedback from real owners about it. I know RobN has one.

JP11801, the Clearaudio platter is actually a huge acrylic platter. That is one of the main tables I am contemplating on picking up.

Update:

I've been thinking about this all day yesterday and the large part of the night.

The more I think about it, the more practical the VPI setup seems to me. It is a solidly built table, comes with practically everything that I would possibly need (cartridge, alignment tools, massive purpose built table/stand) and the company is based right here in the good ol' US of A. If something goes wrong, there is a massive support structure in the sheer user base and VPI owning community. The table was a top flight table in 2004 and has been running happily since.

The Clearaudio, though as beautiful as a statement piece should be is an all acrylic assault. The linear tracking arm is no easy feat to deal with and I would have to have a dealer come out especially to set it up. What happens if I god forbid, want to change a cartridge and some setting gets thrown off. This one looks good, has an amazing german precision engineering behind it and oozes beauty and quality. But, the long term ownership virtues are questionable. Will it play day after day, record after record in a consistent and dependable manner? Would I have to send something to Germany if there is some mechanical problem? I'm not so sure with that Linear Tracking arm as beautiful as it may seem.

What do you guys think?

If you go VPI I would go with either an Aries or HRX and stick with the SDS and fly wheel on the Aries.

Not sure if you are still thinking of going TNT but if so maybe make a call to NJ and ask VPI if they have parts for it. I am a bigger fan of the older platter or the new heavy platter over the acrylic platters. Al, did the switch so he is a better place to comment on it. The Aries 1 table uses the older heavy style platter and the new heavy platter is an upgrade from VPI.

Ironbut has an Aries 1 that sounds really great as well.

The Nottingham tables don't get alot of attention but the 294 table is really nice as well.

Are you talking about the Super Platter? I'm quite sure I'll be upgrading two things down the road; one is the super platter and the second thing is the rim drive kit.

Oh, looks like the Clearaudio seller found someone local :( I don't blame him if he doesn't want to go through the shipping troubles.

Now that leaves a lucrative option with the VPI TNT V Hot Rod, which I can slowly upgrade I guess, or maybe something else (I don't know what that something else is).

If you folks have some other ideas for me, please do mention them. This itch for a vinyl setup is really digging deep with me. Should I just get the Galibier Serac and wait it out? :)

Here is a link to A-gon (key word search Galibier) several good threads on the subject

At the end of the day any of the tables listed will sound really good and you can't go wrong with most of them. My personal preferences are for explosive dynamics and a mylar tape drive seems to deliver that. If money was no object I'd have gone Gavia and do see myself trading up in the Galibier line eventually. Thom although he is not crazy about % differences put it to me that if the Stelvio was 100% then the Gavia was likely 85-90% and the Serac was 70-75%. Keep in mind the Serac slaughters the VPI SSM (IMHO) having owned both. I think it would be closer with an Aries rim drive/super platter.

Why not give Thom a call, I know both Tyrion and I are extremely satisfied with our Seracs.

Not much to add to what JP has said. I'm very happy with my Serac. If I decide to upgrade, it will be to a Gavia. Thom has an excellent upgrade policy, basically giving you full value of your trade in towards the next level. I have heard the HR-X a bunch of times and it's an excellent tt. I've never heard the Aries 3, but I expect it's similar to the HR-X. For the money, I think the Serac is something to consider.

OK....the VPI seller sealed the deal with me. He is throwing in a BRAND NEW Clearaudio Accurate cartridge in for free ($5000 retail). He won me over with that.

I've paid for it and thats that. I am now awaiting a VPI TNT V Hot Rod with the stand as shown in the previous pictures.

I am giddy with excitement and can't wait to take this major step into the Vinyl world.

Now, looking for a better phonostage and a RCM. Probably an EAR 834 to start with and a VPI 16.5 RCM. Anyone have any thoughts about the ASR Mini Basis? That could be a possibility as well.

Chapter closed for now :)

Thanks so much Vicki...I'm definitely very excited :)

Heard the Tim Parvicini Disc Master turntable (Helius Omega tonearm) through an EAR 912 and Marten Design Bird speakers today....god vinyl really is just something else.

When I got back home, I just needed some analog goodness. Got in touch with the seller and did the deed.