Concord Cd's & SACD's for $5.98

jimmyjames8

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely hardwire. I wouldn't run the lines more than 6 inches, without a line driver circuit. The real question is how much room is there in the case for a few power supplies and what not. Have you dug up all the threads that reference this from DiyA and HF? If so, I'd like a short list of them to read over.

well, remember this will be digital, not analog connections (think I2S).

Hmm, not to sure about that. It is digital data but it would not really be an I2S connection as it is the DSD data that is being tapped into from the Denon not PCM based data. Unfortunately all my notes and such are back in IL so I will not have access to them until late next week. Im pretty sure Russ' ghetto connection using alligator clips was quite a bit longer than 6 inches, but then again I am male.

True but the length limitation on transmitting data via I2S may not be relevant here.

6" is a rather standard recommendation for I2S. There is a line driver circuit by Elso Kwak around if you want to go longer, but IMHO it just invites many issues I don't want to deal with. Now as you said, whether this is relevant, I don't know, but seems like a sane place to start.

6" is a rather standard recommendation for I2S. There is a line driver circuit by Elso Kwak around if you want to go longer, but IMHO it just invites many issues I don't want to deal with. Now as you said, whether this is relevant, I don't know, but seems like a sane place to start.

My point was that this is not an I2S interface issue as I2S carries PCM not DSD (PDM) data, thus the length limitations of I2S are not relevant to this connection. Only 90% sure on this so I'm certainly willing to be proven (not browbeaten) wrong.

My point was that this is not an I2S interface issue as I2S carries PCM not DSD (PDM) data, thus the length limitations of I2S are not relevant to this connection. Only 90% sure on this so I'm certainly willing to be proven (not browbeaten) wrong.

:)

I understand, I just don't have the equipment to convince myself one way or the other (and trust few people's word on the subject), so I figured as short as possible and definitely less than 6" will be what I shoot for.

:)

I understand, I just don't have the equipment to convince myself one way or the other (and trust few people's word on the subject), so I figured as short as possible and definitely less than 6" will be what I shoot for.

OK, healthy scepticism is what differentiates HC and HF. ;)

Well, no, it's still digital, in that it's binary data. The point of I2S is to separate out the word clock, and there's still the concept of clocking with DSD, so I2S could easily be modified to carry DSD data, but it'd otherwise be the same, and have the same limitations. However, luvdunhill's other issues of not wanting to complicate matters with a buffer and/or amp are, of course, more limiting. And I doubt I'd get around to it first.