HDMI cable clamping force woes

swt61

While reading the new July issue of Stereophile, I came across a good article on HDMI cables. The article is mostly about the cables one achilles heal... light clamping force. The article goes on to state that the problem is not just aggravating, but can lead to cable and or socket failure. If the cable connection is dislodged too many times it can cause the cable or socket to fail permanently.

They go on to give a few cable solutions, namely cables with a tighter clamping force, cables with a PC type screw connector, and finally a clamp system for use on any HDMI cable.

The latter is the solution that most interested me, since I will soon be putting my A/V system together, and plan to use HDMI between my Oppo Blu-ray player & A/V receiver, and from the receiver to the plasma TV.

The company is Blue Echo Solutions, and the clamp is called hd EZ lock. While maybe not the best solution for those constantly moving gear around, it seems like a good solution for my needs. It's not exactly cheap at $20.00 per pair, but can be a bargain compared to socket replacement or cable failure.

I'll expound more on them once they've arrived and have been installed in my system.

Blue Echo Solutions: hd EZ lock - Universal HDMI Locking Adapter, HDMI Cables, and more Consumer Electronics Solutions | www.blueechosolutions.com

Yeah, whoever designed the HDMI connector deserves a good :basement:. Those locking adapters are indeed kinda pricy (more than the cable), but might be very useful for installations where the cable just won't stay put. Keep us posted on how well they work.

Yep hdmi seriously sucks.

I've built small metal brackets, custom for each device. Attaches to

a nearby screw, and holds the cable perfectly level about 3 inches

away from the connector. No problem so far.

For the long runs of which i have 2, i'm using hdmi to dual 100T ethernet

converters. Works great with cat6 cable even at 1080p.

I've been reading about these complaints regarding HDMI cables for years now and while I agree the design is pretty piss poor I still wonder how many people have actually had connectors fail and that sort of thing?

Yep hdmi seriously sucks.

I've built small metal brackets, custom for each device. Attaches to

a nearby screw, and holds the cable perfectly level about 3 inches

away from the connector. No problem so far.

For the long runs of which i have 2, i'm using hdmi to dual 100T ethernet

converters. Works great with cat6 cable even at 1080p.

We have a 50 foot run of the Blue Jeans long run cable, at 1080p/50 and 1080p/60 we get unacceptable signal corruption (sparklies).

How difficult and expensive is this network cable solution?

We have a 50 foot run of the Blue Jeans long run cable, at 1080p/50 and 1080p/60 we get unacceptable signal corruption (sparklies).

How difficult and expensive is this network cable solution?

I have one long run at 15'. I won't know how that will look until the TV arrives (hopefully within the next week). But this sounds like a good solution if the current setup is unacceptable.