Audio-gd Phoenix

Edwood

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, what's with the Glock hate, Vicki?

Glock hate is fun. Actually I've got nothing against Glocks, except they don't fit my hand as well as my M&P, which is pretty much exactly like a Glock....but better :)

So, Les has responded, and though I don't know if we can coordinate anything, hopefully, I can hear the Phoenix in a couple weeks.

If SS amp come very hot ... t's a problem because I will leave SS amp almost all time on.

They need to use large heat sink to dissipate the heat.

FYI - My phoenix has now been on for 95 hours, and excluding a small puff of acrid smoke there's been no heat related issues. :)

Kidding about the smoke.

FYI - My phoenix has now been on for 95 hours, and excluding a small puff of acrid smoke there's been no heat related issues. :)

Kidding about the smoke.

Does it get hot? I don't know if you have ever owned or saw a First Watt F1. They get pretty hot. If you have, can you compare? Thanks.

I like Les. He's cranky, nudgey, obsessive, and vocal, but I'd take 10 of him over half the people posting over there daily. Maybe if I said we could go to the shooting range, he might be more interested in the mini-meet. He has some nice guns, minus the Glock .40. I think he's ignoring me.

I guess the next thing that will happen is I will get banned because of my Penchant for Austrian Firearms, tough crowd!

I figured it was just a temporary thing so he'd stop acting stupid. I guess his skin was just too thin for this place anyway.

I've been reading up on Punctuation.

Actually, Les, we'd be more likely to want to shoot your guns than ban you for them, but I'm speaking for myself again. Welcome back.

Sorry the mini-meet isn't going to work out for you this time, but maybe later.

I'm moving to PSL, just sold my house in Jupiter and real busy right now. I would say that there is a window of opportunity here for buying the Phoenix and saying you want to wait for the typos to be fixed. That would give you time for more impressions. If you didn't like the sound of them, then you could cancel. It sounds like the corrected backplate would ship around end of July.

I haven't made up my mind yet totally on the sound. I'm trying to figure out if maybe it's missing "something" and that's what makes it sound so good, or if it really is that good. If that makes any sense. Ir seems to be able to make bad recordings sound good. I'm trying to figure out how it's doing that one as well.

Wait, wait, wait, they expect the end user to replace the back panel? Have fun unsodlering the 20 or so connections it'll take to do that and don't forget to mark the monochromatic wires so you stand a chance at getting it back working properly. All of the XLRs mount to the outside of the chassis and will have to be removed to replace the panel, the other connectors I can't tell. It could be even worse.

Huge.

F'ing.

Fail.

Wait, wait, wait, they expect the end user to replace the back panel? Have fun unsodlering the 20 or so connections it'll take to do that and don't forget to mark the monochromatic wires so you stand a chance at getting it back working properly. All of the XLRs mount to the outside of the chassis and will have to be removed to replace the panel, the other connectors I can't tell. It could be even worse.

Huge.

F'ing.

Fail.

No, I didn't mean replace the panel, I was referring to buying one after the debacle is fixed. No way I'm doing THAT soldering Job! Personally I think he should send out "Fixed" ones as a cross ship. Then he can resolder and resell his B-Stock as Demos or whatever.

Les, how do you feel about the overall safety of the Phoenix? Do you think it's up to the same standard as other amps in the category? Sorry if this has been asked already.

All his gear is well made. The only gig I would give him is that some of the solder joints on thru holes are not fully penetrated on the top. The REF1 runs about 108F on the sink points on the underside of the case. If the ambient air temp is 80 and under and there is sufficient air movement, his gear doesn't get hot. I've found air movement is very important to his design. If my ceiling fan is not running, the temps climb pretty well. I have mine on a small shelf on top of my desk, so basically I have it in a pretty decent air stream. If you have the gear where air can't move around it, temps will climb a bit. He says that if the Phoenix is too cool it will not sound as good. I'm no EE, but I'm not sure I believe that.

He doesn't execute perfectly, I wish he would. I think he offers awesome gear in his price point. I think his engineering is sound. He's got these idiotic failings of QC AND decision making ability to make you wonder.

Nobody wants to open a box on their New Toy and have a WTF moment. It ain't pretty!

I think it's a cultural thing. I'm sure Chinese companies have gotton away with selling shit to their citizens for so long, that they have to undergo a paradim shift to embrace a culture that is free to speak it's mind.

I don't see any safety issues though. Anything in particular you're interested in?

He says that if the Phoenix is too cool it will not sound as good. I'm no EE, but I'm not sure I believe that.

It probably runs more stable warm. There seems to be a fine line between too much ventilation, which can cause temperature gradients in the case, and not enough ventilation which can cause stability and longevity issues.

I don't see any safety issues though. Anything in particular you're interested in?

Thanks for your continued thoughtful posts, Les. Some folks see the QC issues as purely "cosmetic," but I think you and I agree that they are indicative of more fundamental problems. And I that's certainly not a criticism that I would only make against audio-gd. As for safety, I just want to make sure that no one is concerned the equipment is going to start an electrical fire or anything like that. One issue of dealing with a China-based manufacturer with no significant presence in the US is that the consequences for putting a dangerous unit into commerce are minimal and our means of redress limited.

Nice score on the M^3. Now I have HD-800s, I'm unsatisfied by the C2C as well.

The debug button allows you to change the volume control settings, according to the web site. Since I'm happy with the Ref 1 DAC, I'm confident I know what I'll be getting.

I'm curious why you haven't seen fit to upgrade your re-assessment of the C-2C to the A-GD pages at HF, one of which is your review of it??

It probably runs more stable warm. There seems to be a fine line between too much ventilation, which can cause temperature gradients in the case, and not enough ventilation which can cause stability and longevity issues.

I think it gets a little Heat Soak if the air is stagnant.

@TheMonkey

There is no UL certification here, you're right. I think the fact that some of his gear may or may not be fused on the IEC would be something you might refer to. As somebody mentioned, walking away from your house for the day with it running is a percentage game I guess. I think it was said that on the Compass there was a fuse that had to be replaced by Kingwa if it blew. I guess it's on the underside of something there because I didn't see it. You bring up a valid point/concern that I actively decided to ignore when buying his gear. I knew what I was getting into with this. I just checked my DV and the IECs on it are fused, Kingwa's are not.