Audio-gd Phoenix

Edwood

Was expecting to find a Head-Case melodrama thread about this amp here, but it's not the case.

The inane banter and debates on the Head-Fi Phoenix thread about CAST, DAC, etc, makes me skim alot and not read much there.

This amp's two box layout is rather interesting to me. Without really knowing too much about the actual circuit, the build quality looks pretty impressive to me. Seems to be an ideal layout for me as well, as I don't like full wdith stereo components. Digital volume control and inputs galore are a plus.

One issue I have is the internal conversion to CAST, and how it's converting single ended to balanced.

"When fed with an RCA signal, Phoenix can change the RCA signal to an exact XLR signal at first, then change to a current signal to feed CAST modules.

When fed with an XLR signal, Phoenix can re-proofread the XLR to complete mirror ( exact ) XLR signal, then change to current signal feed to CAST modules. In cases where the source output XLR signal is not exact, (Hot signal level not same with cool signal level' absolute value) through this re-proofread process, it can correct the signal to produce an exact XLR signal.

In short, whatever the input might be, Phoenix will output XLR signal to Headphones, unless your HP is plugged into to SE output sockets."

More info and pics here:

[url=http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/Phoenix/Phoenix-1.htm]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, the Audio-gd Phoenix design looks like shit.

Please elaborate. Though I do remember reading the Phoenix is just an adaptation of one of his preamps.

This thing has been shill'ed like none other by a few people using proclamations of greatness without even have heard the thing.

Judging from the posts of the people on HF (especially IpodPJ), I don't think there will be any fair reviews of the phoenix for quite some time.

One issue I have is the internal conversion to CAST, and how it's converting single ended to balanced.

I find the "proofreading" and the "correction" part disturbing as well.

Edwood: The shovel action has come and gone. I've noticed people talk a lot of shit over there when waiting for gear to arrive.

I'm getting one, then deciding whether I'll stick to Stax or HD-800's, as my Stax amps are borrowed at the moment and eventually they will be wanted back. It's going to have to be seriously good to make HD-800's (balanced) displace the Stax. It's a pity the DNA special for $1k happened when it did, as I'm starting to pick up a desire for a tube amp, not helped by listening with a HF-1 + Yamamoto yesterday.

insyte: The Stax rig I'm using is about $1000-worth, so it's certainly better value IMO than a serious balanced rig. I had previously written off the idea of a balanced rig when I found out that I'd need $2k or thereabouts to have a balanced Beta 22 built.

I wouldn't drop that kind of money on an unknown amp (debug button? wtf) without at least a single review/listen from a trusted source. I was unimpressed with the sound of the C2C, although I guess its a decent buy for the money. However, the used M3 I got is head and shoulders above it and cost me $50 more.

I wouldn't drop that kind of money on an unknown amp (debug button? wtf) without at least a single review/listen from a trusted source. I was unimpressed with the sound of the C2C, although I guess its a decent buy for the money. However, the used M3 I got is head and shoulders above it and cost me $50 more.
I also don't want and can't really afford to put money into an unheard amp. I have the C-2C and for me it was a good first desktop amp, though now I am itching to upgrade, or try something else.

insyte: The Stax rig I'm using is about $1000-worth, so it's certainly better value IMO than a serious balanced rig. I had previously written off the idea of a balanced rig when I found out that I'd need $2k or thereabouts to have a balanced Beta 22 built.

Well the the SRM-717 alone would already cost near $1K, I was thinking of just starting with an entry level SS Stax amp because I'm not really sure if Im going to like it :)

I've seen them go for a couple of hundred less than that, and a pair of LNS in good nick for $200 or so, making it a $1k rig (excluding shipping).

I've booked a listening session with a Luxman P-200 for next week with the HD-800s. I'm contemplating taking the Ref 1 with me, as they have an Esoteric D-05 I can compare it with. I was reluctant before because I didn't realise that I could park directly under the shop. The staff are keen to try the HD-800s. If DHL don't fuck up this time and the Phoenix arrives in time, I'll go for the triple bogey and compare the lot, at least as much as I can in an hour or two.

Great to hear you enjoy the M3 :) It does outclass my friend's Compass which I had chance to try for a couple days.

Yeah, its definitely the best amp I have yet to own (and 2nd cheapest, go figure) - thanks again. Now I have to figure out how to sell this RSA HR-2 (although I'm sure someone on HF will take it).

Currawong - let us know how the phoenix is. I'm not completely sold on audio-gd yet, but at least it looks like it has the possibility of being a good piece of kit.

I am getting the Phoenix and I'll post my thoughts on it. I'm also going to try it as a preamp. It's not a FOTM over there yet, but the writting is on the wall. Safe bet that the Audio-gd fans will LOVE it.

Hey, Singlepower is finally out, so somebody's going to replace it as far as walking on water goes. Why not Audio-gd? At least I won't find wire tied wall warts inside when I pop the lid.

I am getting the Phoenix and I'll post my thoughts on it. I'm also going to try it as a preamp. It's not a FOTM over there yet, but the writting is on the wall. Safe bet that the Audio-gd fans will LOVE it.

Hey, Singlepower is finally out, so somebody's going to replace it as far as walking on water goes. Why not Audio-gd? At least I won't find wire tied wall warts inside when I pop the lid.

No doubt the Audio GD fans will love it. As far as the next FOTM company goes, there have been plenty since the downfall of SP. That said, I think that if it performs decently well, it'll be fine.

Edited by PFKMan23

Sorry to hijack a bit, but can you guys let me know what you didn't like about the C-2C? I am about to start building an M^3 (big plans) but was considering ordering a C-2C in the meantime, as the M^3 won't be finished anytime soon. I need two rigs anyway (work and home).

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack a bit, but can you guys let me know what you didn't like about the C-2C? I am about to start building an M^3 (big plans) but was considering ordering a C-2C in the meantime, as the M^3 won't be finished anytime soon. I need two rigs anyway (work and home).

Thanks.

The general consensus based on those threads seem to be that the C2C sounds too smooth and as the result, ends up masking some sonic details.