Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC

14jw5yu.jpg

Pardon the mess; I'm moving next week so I don't have a nice table to put everything on.

I knew I had to buy it as soon as I heard Voltron's set up at CanJam. I got it about three hours ago and it's terrific like I remembered it. So far, I'm using the AES input on my Primare DVD30 to compare the DACs between the two devices. It's my very first piece of individual equipment that costs this much so I'm experiencing a whole new level of sound. For example, I always discounted one recording as flawed because of strange background noises but the higher resolution of this DAC makes it very clear that it's just sound from the audience.

Apparently, I'll get even more mileage out of it when I acquire a Mac with Amarra software. I was wondering if there are any other owners here. What's the reasoning behind the recommendation of using a Lynx AES output card from a computer? Also, any impressions/explanations of the Amarra software alone or feeding the Berkeley would be nice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work on the setup so far! The black Alpha DAC is killer looking and Meier really did a good thing for those guys if he was indeed the inspiration (which he told me as well). Glad you bought from him because it makes it worthwhile that he went to the trouble to bring two Alpha DACs to the meet and hang out there, etc.

If you are going to buy a Mac and Amarra, then you should decide whether you are going to get Mini and some means to get FireWire converted to AES or you are going to have to get a tower and use a card like the Lynx to convert directly from the CPU. There are people on ComputerAudiophile.com who suggest that the tower/Lynx card combo is better for purest digital signal out of the CPU but I have a Mac Mini with FireWire into the Amarra Model Four and I am very happy with it.

I have heard the Alpha DAC in two situations. First at a dealer with a CD transport feeding the DAC and second at the meet in LA with the Model Four's digital output into the Alpha DAC. Both times it sounded great and I think you would get similar results with the Amarra software directly into the Alpha.

Enjoy the rig, and make sure you get some hi-rez audio pumping through that beautiful Alpha DAC because that is when it is supposed to shine its most...:)

Other owners? There's Voltron, of course, and ahh ... well ...

What does that last little text imply? Are you considering something, or just that I am alone out here so far?

Thanks/curses for the advice and the opportunity, Voltron. :P

The Berkeley itself costs more than I wanted to spend on my whole headphone set up but every time I listen to it, I'm glad I jumped. You're absolutely right about its performance with high resolution audio. The few DVD-As I've tried gave me one of those "wow" moments in audio made doubly more potent as I actually own the gear producing the sound. I can't wait to try the Reference Recordings sample disk when I settle on a suitable computer.

I think I'm going to splurge with an Amarra set up as well but I want to know how it works first. The raves about Amarra feeding the Berkeley are enough to convince me to commit but it all sounds like witchcraft right now even after reading the documentation on the website.

I'm also a bit iffy on Mac hardware. I can only justify a single desktop computer but nothing in Apple's line up fits my needs. I think I might build a hackintosh for this though I don't know if that's going to affect Amarra or the Lynx card.

>>>>envy<<<<<

I heard the Berkeley this week on a very nice speaker setup. It sounded superb. A little ways beyond superb, actually. The rig sounded like very good analog, like really good tape.

It was driven by a very generic Dell desktop that couldn't have cost much more than half what the Lynx card that was in it did.

Now, that's kind of like one hand clapping, since I haven't heard the Berkeley with any other computer to compare.

What's worse is that there are those who say the PCI Lynx sounds better than the PCIe one. Which means you either buy the Lynx with less street cred, OR the one that will fit in either PCs or Macs. Damn.

But disclaimers aside, the cheapie PC/Lynx arrangement sure did play tunes through that DAC.

-Carl

*snip*I'm also a bit iffy on Mac hardware. I can only justify a single desktop computer but nothing in Apple's line up fits my needs. I think I might build a hackintosh for this though I don't know if that's going to affect Amarra or the Lynx card.
this was my solution to getting a RME card into a machine that ran MacOS without dropping for a Mac Pro... PM me if you want more info on this sorta thing.

>>>>envy<<<<<

I heard the Berkeley this week on a very nice speaker setup. It sounded superb. A little ways beyond superb, actually. The rig sounded like very good analog, like really good tape.

It was driven by a very generic Dell desktop that couldn't have cost much more than half what the Lynx card that was in it did.

Now, that's kind of like one hand clapping, since I haven't heard the Berkeley with any other computer to compare.

What's worse is that there are those who say the PCI Lynx sounds better than the PCIe one. Which means you either buy the Lynx with less street cred, OR the one that will fit in either PCs or Macs. Damn.

But disclaimers aside, the cheapie PC/Lynx arrangement sure did play tunes through that DAC.

-Carl

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I think I might try the sound with my existing PC and see if I'm satisfied enough to pass on a Mac set up. My only experience so far is with a Mac Mini at CanJam which sounded absolutely delightful. If I can approximate that at home with what I have already, I might be able put an end to this runaway spending.

It's interesting that some people say there differences between PCI and PCIe. I suppose that's because the PCI bus is separated from PCIe?

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I think I might try the sound with my existing PC and see if I'm satisfied enough to pass on a Mac set up. My only experience so far is with a Mac Mini at CanJam which sounded absolutely delightful. If I can approximate that at home with what I have already, I might be able put an end to this runaway spending.

It's interesting that some people say there differences between PCI and PCIe. I suppose that's because the PCI bus is separated from PCIe?

The PCI bus is shared. PCI-E is separate.

or because people are full of shit. either way.

That, or the design of the two products is actually a little different apart from just the bus that they go on. Who knows. Personally, I think I should be entitled to a bit-perfect, jitter-free, totally wonderful stream from my $12 piece of crap soundcard. But I think all kinds of crazy stuff.

-Carl