Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC

/me wants. I realize its a manner of diminishing returns of course, but I do wonder if its twice as good as something like an Ayre QB-9. Plus, $699 for the Lynx AES card =(

X2. The Berkeley is really the cost of the Berkeley DAC and a Lynx L22 card for me and that puts it out of my range. Numbs seems to think the Ayre QB-9 is very good and I believe someone here just bought the QB-9.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty interested in the Ayre myself. I have to wonder if that would have been a more financially prudent route to follow.

Augsburger: I'm only getting the Lynx because I'm doing the recommended Mac configuration with the Amarra software. So far, I've been liking the Berkeley just fine using only the AES output from my disc player.

Lynx. Hmmmm.

Has anybody out there listened to the Lynx vs some other (read cheaper) soundcard or USB converter option? With the Berkeley or some other top-drawer DAC?

A number of people who don't seem to be hearing challenged have said it's better/great/whatever, but I'm a little more comfortable if I -or people I actually know - have said "yes, it's worth the money", or "no, it's not", based on actually hearing the damned thing.

If something seems logical or makes sense on general principle or costs very little (like dressing your interconnects neatly, say) that's one thing. I'm all for taking a flyer. But this is one heck of an expensive sound card we're talkin' about here. 14 /16ths of which we won't utilize. And the idea doesn't square with the popular notion of what matters in digital audio (not that that's any real guide)

A good comparative listen would seem in order.

-Carl

I'm waiting to see if RME releases a PCI-E card.
The HDSPe series is PCIe. I ordered my HDSPe AIO in June '08 and finally received it in April...

Good call on poking around on gearslutz for a comparo, thanks jp!

I am deliriously happy with the AIO overall. Best bonus was that my Grate-oh RS1s sound *way* better plugged straight into the AIO's headphone out than through the RA1!

The HDSPe series is PCIe. I ordered my HDSPe AIO in June '08 and finally received it in April...

Good call on poking around on gearslutz for a comparo, thanks jp!

I am deliriously happy with the AIO overall. Best bonus was that my Grate-oh RS1s sound *way* better plugged straight into the AIO's headphone out than through the RA1!

Woops you're right, it looks like the RayDAT has the closest feature set to the 9652 or 9632?

FYI, after asking to the people of Pass Labs for possibilities to upgrade my D1 DAC to accept 24/96 (my unit is a earlier one, only latest production D1s were 24/96) they told me for 'Redbook' use (CD) it is optimal as is (cs8412 receiver, npc filter and pcm63k dacs), and if I really do need higher resolution they pointed me... yes, to the Berkeley Audio Alpha!

Another big point for this unit IMO.

Very interesting! My D1 (which was 24/96 upgraded when I bought it...) was just back at Pass having a good look-over as I have been thinking of selling it. Would love to hear a non-24/96 D1 as it is supposed to sound better for redbook... I haven't had the chance to hook the D1 up and give it a listen since I got it back as I've been away on business but it has a ton of new caps (one leaked...) and resistors, can't wait to give it a good going over.

I've been waffling over whether I should sell the D1 and SFD-2 Mk.III in preference for something more modern, or since I really don't play anything but redbook at this point, go for a SDR-2000 Pro... the Levinson No. 30.6 is mighty temping as well...

The Ayre QB-9 makes a lot of sense as I am going mostly computer now... but the Berkeley is tempting as well... Ayre has fully discrete circuitry and their wicked digital filter... Berkeley has piles of inputs and I already have a good sound card to output to it with... the Berkeley eliminates the need for a preamp though which is really appealing... anyone know how its volume control works?

Congrats for your D1... and do not sell it ;)

I was after an absolute deal on a mint ML 30.6 (the guy had its separate PS stolen, so the main unit was mint but one had to make a complete PSU for it, easy if you are into DIY) but was out of home and missed it by so small margin (finished under $2k btw)...

This days you see 'plenty' (say some) of EMM, dCS, etc gear on sale, and opinions vary on those high-end DACs, but there is always a common opinion: everyone is pointing to the Berkeley, even some other makers as I said in my previous post. Holy grail?

The volume works in digital domain btw, see their literature on the website were, IIRC, there was a description. But the HDCD light will be 'on' anyway in this unit :)

Congrats for your D1... and do not sell it ;)
Thank you... bought it in late '05 and it is certainly a nice piece... haven't heard a digital source that does deep, tight, authoritative bass like this thing. Combined with the X250.5 into my Magneplanars (MG-IIIa), I have no desire for a sub... as for not selling it, even though it's been 24/96 upgraded? :P I have always wanted to hear one of these with a PMD100 in it, looks like it'd be mighty easy to drop into the earlier CS8412/PCM63k version using an adapter... Interestingly I have only ever seen one picture of a unit that left the factory as a 24/96 version, all the others I've seen have been after-the-fact upgrades... I'd give my balls for one of the original input cards but Pass told me to sit and spin.
I was after an absolute deal on a mint ML 30.6 (the guy had its separate PS stolen, so the main unit was mint but one had to make a complete PSU for it, easy if you are into DIY) but was out of home and missed it by so small margin (finished under $2k btw)...
ugh! brutal! what a steal...
This days you see 'plenty' (say some) of EMM, dCS, etc gear on sale, and opinions vary on those high-end DACs, but there is always a common opinion: everyone is pointing to the Berkeley, even some other makers as I said in my previous post. Holy grail?
Who at Pass were you talking to about the Alpha?
The volume works in digital domain btw, see their literature on the website were, IIRC, there was a description. But the HDCD light will be 'on' anyway in this unit :)
perhaps I'm being daft but I can't find a technical explanation on how the digital volume control works... and no doubt it wouldn't break HDCD on this thing ;)

That black version is SEXY! Too bad I don't have the cash to swing and really would have to hawk the D1 and SFD-2 Mk.III...

I thought I'd post some internal pictures of my own unit after seeing the Ayre QB-9 thread.
Sweet! Thanks for sharing! T'would be interesting to know what op amps they are using in there, I can't tell from the pics... could you ID them please? Looks like there's 12 of the things!
Nelson (Wayne Colburn) should seriously put out a SOTA DAC again (PCM1704, drool). Maybe not in this economy, but eventually... DACs are the hot thing in audio now.
I've actually heard rumblings which suggest that such a product may not be too far off... but why PCM1704 again? That's what's in my 24/96-upgraded D1 (x8)! Really the only thing that sort of sucks about the 24/96 D1 is the DF1704 digital filter and of course it doesn't go above 96KHz... my wet dream would be to build a new input board with a PMD200 filter for the PCM1704-equipped D1...

Wow... Quadrangulum your are the man!

I cannot identify the DAC chip, an Analog Devices 18??

I must say however that after the excitement to see the Ayre unit naked, I am not so hot to see Berkeley's. I knew there were opamps (they look single units, maybe opa627?) but seeing no overkill dual differential DACs, local regulators, and the like... is a bit of a letdown. Obviously their strenght lies inside the bg AS Shark processor, ie software, and obviously for all the opinions seen it is a BIG strenght!

Btw it is a good new to see the voltage selector (110/220VAC) for us outside US ;)

Jeff,

Yes, we can dream about a new input board (seems so easy to change!) and I too have temptations to change my filter (NPC) for a PMD100 HDCD chip (they can be found for around $30) in my case (PCM63K DACs). Probably yes, the DF1704 is the weak link in your D1...

It is strange Pass refused to sell you a (used, coming from any upgraded unit) original board... unless they were re-using them for the new chips (do not think so). I will ask as soo as I can around the DIY forums were Nelson/Wayne usually write... what a pity lately they have so much work avoiding copies of many of their products. I need some time (and bravery) too to, one day, change the elcaps for Elna Silmic IIs (Wayne favourites as on its own unit)...

Josep

Jeff,

Yes, we can dream about a new input board (seems so easy to change!) and I too have temptations to change my filter (NPC) for a PMD100 HDCD chip (they can be found for around $30) in my case (PCM63K DACs). Probably yes, the DF1704 is the weak link in your D1...

A guy in Hong Kong IIRC on diyaudio even did a run of adapter boards for this...
It is strange Pass refused to sell you a (used, coming from any upgraded unit) original board... unless they were re-using them for the new chips (do not think so). I will ask as soo as I can around the DIY forums were Nelson/Wayne usually write...
In fairness I did ask via e-mail and as I recall, it wasn't Nelson or Wayne who responded. If you do have better luck on the boards that would be AWESOME! Definitely new boards as the layout is totally different... someone's gotta have a stash of these things... btw I am away from home on business at the moment, but have a ton of hi-res pics of the inside of my 24/96 D1 if you or anyone is interested in peeking at... could share when I get home...
what a pity lately they have so much work avoiding copies of many of their products. I need some time (and bravery) too to, one day, change the elcaps for Elna Silmic IIs (Wayne favourites as on its own unit)...

Josep

I had heard about the Silmic IIs in Wayne's D1... even hinted it'd be pretty nice if he'd install them in mine when it was at Pass, but got no response on that one, suspect they do not want to be in the business of modding in any way, and fair enough. Definitely too bad they have to work so hard to keep people from ripping them off, especially seeing as how they are so generous with the DIY community... ah well, when you're one of the best...

Cheers, Josep!

I must say however that after the excitement to see the Ayre unit naked, I am not so hot to see Berkeley's. I knew there were opamps (they look single units, maybe opa627?) but seeing no overkill dual differential DACs, local regulators, and the like... is a bit of a letdown. Obviously their strenght lies inside the bg AS Shark processor, ie software, and obviously for all the opinions seen it is a BIG strenght!
Agreed... lot of op amps in there, looks like 15 in total actually! Would be nice to know what they are. Such a bummer this thing is SOTA digital and a pretty disappointing power supply and analog section... the Ayre is hardly a slouch in the digital department however, thing just needs a BNC input and I'd be all over it...

• 2 weeks later...