Wow I want one

hungrych

Very cool, but at that price it will be hard not to justify going with a DAC and a normal squeezebox.

That 2x squeezebox + 1TB NAS storage bundle they have is great too. If only I were rich. :(

You guys don't seem to get it... it's a 2kish dac with a squeezebox built in. It's not going for the same group as the squeezebox. :P

No, I get it... and you even get another free squeezebox. :P

All I am saying is you could spend $300 on a squeezebox and then spend $1700 on a DAC... instead of paying $2000 and getting two squeezeboxes and a $1400 DAC.

But to each his own. ;)

You'd still have to get a proper transport and DAC that can sync together, and who knows how the Transporter performs as a $1700 DAC..

The only ~$1700 DAC that pops up to mind is the Stello -- there's doesn't seem to be too much in that category. In the $2500 category is the LessLoss, but you gotta get your transport modified or upgraded for that.. something like an RME Hammerfall doesn't come cheap!

No, I get it... and you even get another free squeezebox. :P

All I am saying is you could spend $300 on a squeezebox and then spend $1700 on a DAC... instead of paying $2000 and getting two squeezeboxes and a $1400 DAC.

But to each his own. ;)

The Squeezebox is just there as an incentive for people to preorder, after that it'll be a 2k dac with a squeezebox built in. :P

I don't get it, some Mark levinson cost 10 times more and nobody says anything about that, but when Slimdevices makes a "High-End" product everybody start saying it's expensive :mikey2:

Its good to have a high end product from a company that doesn't overestimate their products like 99% of the audio industry. :police:

I don't have the slight knowledge how it sounds, but they are aiming high and that's what important ;)

I don't get it, some Mark levinson cost 10 times more and nobody says anything about that, but when Slimdevices makes a "High-End" product everybody start saying it's expensive :mikey2:

Its good to have a high end product from a company that doesn't overestimate their products like 99% of the audio industry. :police:

I don't have the slight knowledge how it sounds, but they are aiming high and that's what important ;)

I think some of the skepticism is that it's a bit of an unknown as far as the DAC goes. $2k for a newcomer of sorts. It's almost too good to be true for folks looking to build a computer based setup and integrate it into their regular systems. Then again, I think that's healthy to a degree. I'm torn as the argument for a SB/DAC is a good one but to have it all in one very cool box....well, if the sound is there, they've got a big hit on their hands. It seems to answer all of my prayers that's for sure.

That may be the case but until we actually get ahold of one and peek under the hood and give it a listen, I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand. Heck, it may not be "audiophile" but it certainl fills a need in my system and simplifies things greatly.

Separate DAC is certainly an option and probably far less risk involved as it's more clear as to what you're getting for your money. Still, for someone like myself who's been wanting to put a computer based setup together, the Transporter seems to answer it all with one, simple solution. I'll be anxious to hear what the early adopters have to say about it.

Personally, I think the E500 will be my last blind plunge and that's only because I thoroughly enjoyed the E5C. From now on, I'm going to wait, read up and choose carefully....promise! ;)