Top Gear

Edwood

Top Gear Australia is absolutely terrible.

I saw two episodes of the second season before I left Australia, and it was a LOT better than the first season - though still inferior to the original obviously.

The problem with the first season was that they said to the new hosts, you can play Clarkson, you can play Hammond, and you can play May. In the second season, James Morrison is a BIG improvement, and the other two are allowed to be themselves a bit more.

I really like Top Gear but I hate their attitude. The whole chauvinist Britain > * attitude and the idea that everyone else can settle for second-grade content. They can go fuck themselves. If you don't want everyone else to watch your show don't show it to them, but don't give people scraps like they were dogs while you sit and eat your five-course meal. Also youtube is what gave them their popularity in the first place and their constant crusade against youtube'd content is ridiculous. I always pay for shows and music that I like but they're not getting a cent from me as long as they keep treating me like a second-rate viewer.

I thought the whole Schumaker thing was pretty lame too. They've been milking the whole Stig identity thing on the web site for years and now that the show is running out of ideas they're probably going to start doing it every episode on the show too. But the rest of the episode was pretty good IMO.

I really like Top Gear but I hate their attitude. The whole chauvinist Britain > * attitude and the idea that everyone else can settle for second-grade content. They can go fuck themselves. If you don't want everyone else to watch your show don't show it to them, but don't give people scraps like they were dogs while you sit and eat your five-course meal. Also youtube is what gave them their popularity in the first place and their constant crusade against youtube'd content is ridiculous. I always pay for shows and music that I like but they're not getting a cent from me as long as they keep treating me like a second-rate viewer.

I thought the whole Schumaker thing was pretty lame too. They've been milking the whole Stig identity thing on the web site for years and now that the show is running out of ideas they're probably going to start doing it every episode on the show too. But the rest of the episode was pretty good IMO.

While youtube made Top Gear popular with American audiences the show was already extremely popular in Europe and Britain former colonies.

Every network both American and British are vigilant about having their content removed from Youtube. I see Europeans and Canadians complaining all the time because they can't access Hulu or watch dailyshow clips because of their IP's location.

The Vietnam episode was a bit of a let-down for me. It was a bit of a chore to get through and has none of the re-watchability that many of the others do. I'll often show the specials to various friends and end up watching them 3 or4 times. Definitely not the case with the Vietnam special. It didn't hold a canlde to the Polar special, the SE US trip or the trans-African trip, which was probably my favorite. Oliver FTW!

The Vietnam special wasn't exactly a let down but it won't be exactly difficult to top either. Now the north pole special.. THAT will be difficult to top.

-Sir Ranulph falkon

And not just because of the knee-jerk shock and outrage from the moaning minnies.

95464594gd5.jpg

The Tasting Note: Top Gear G&T in hot Polar water (hows that for a tabloidesque headline!)

clarkson460.jpg

Television: Top Gear in hot water over G&T on ice | Media | The Guardian