Top Gear

Edwood

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gee, there's a big surprise. After pissing people off for years and getting away with it because nobody takes them seriously anymore, they finally stepped on one toe too many. That's what happens when your primary selling shtick is a mix of crude bumbling slapstick and caricature nationalist xenophobia. I'm gonna say they had it coming.

Some things are obviously pranks, but I can buy their side of the story.  I'm not sure what the specifics of plate registration are in Argentina, and the explanation was not terribly illustrative, but suffice it to say that this appears to be their reputation catching up to them, and perhaps not deliberate provocation.

In any case, it is hilarious.  I love their style, and I'm glad that they're willing to ruffle feathers in pursuit of it.  Most people never have the opportunity to cause international incidents with their caricatures, and I'm glad that Top Gear takes their responsibility seriously.  A little mockery on the international stage helps defray larger tensions, and no one can be held accountable for what Top Gear does but the show itself.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm kinda lucky being in the UK - you just turn on the television and pow - there it is  ;D

Couple of years ago I was stuck in a traffic queue in front of James May in his RR.  Both he and Clarkson live within 30 miles of me, which actually isn't really saying much because the UK is really very very tiny.