Top Gear

Edwood

He was bought out in September 2012. "In September, BBC Worldwide struck a deal to buy out Mr Clarkson and Mr Wilman for a combined £14.4million. A spokesman for BBC Worldwide said that "no licence fee income" had been used to pay shareholders."

So he is now an employee of the BBC.  Which is why they can can him.

Someone at the BBC said he did not hit the (assistant) producer, but all staff at the BBC have been banned for talking about the "incident".

"More than 600,000 people have signed an online petition (started by UK political blogger Guido Fawkes) to return Jeremy Clarkson to Top Gear. Clarkson has been suspended following claims he hit a producer on the program. The BBC has pulled two of the final three episodes of Top Gear in the current series in response to the suspension of Clarkson. But the BBC has not only lost revenue from the episodes being pulled, it has opened itself up to compensation claims from foreign broadcasters for non-performance of a program-supply contract.

But is the suspension a case of the BBC shooting itself in the foot (and in the cash register)? UK reports say Clarkson is out of contract at the end of this month, so the suspension won’t mean a thing. In fact, The Guardianand other media outlets say the BBC had been hoping to wrap up new three-year contracts with the program’s hosts -- Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. Those talks are now reported to be off.

The fate of the third episode of the current series is up in the air and the BBC is now trying to fill the gap of the two dropped episodes by offering broadcasters fresh (but old) Top Gear material. Both ITV and Channel 4 have tried to poach Clarkson from the BBC in the past and his departure would spark a huge bidding war among the corporation’s UK commercial rivals, including pay-TV groups such as Sky, Virgin and BT.

Top Gear is shown in 214 “territories” (not necessarily countries in all cases). It has an estimated 350 million viewers around the world. The BBC arm, BBC Worldwide, makes (reported by UK media) 50 million pounds a year from the program from revenues estimated at 150 million pounds.

The fastest growing area of income for the BBC has been the live shows. The next of these is a now sold-out Top Gear Live event in Stavanger in Norway, due to be held on March 27 and 28. If Clarkson is not available, it will not be what has been advertised. The live tour, which is a joint venture between BBC Worldwide and a company called Brand Events, will have to be cancelled if Clarkson isn’t there (and contracted), costing BBC Worldwide an unknown amount of money. "

Oh boy - the BBC really have not handled this at all well.  Mistake number 1 was going public.  Mistake number 2 was gagging all BBC staff from commenting (to press, social media etc).  Mistake number 3 was underestimating the amount of support (662,000 and counting on change.org).  Mistake number 4 was, given all the above, not resolving the issue with red-line urgency.

Other presenters that have been sacked by the BBC in recent years are Angus Deayton on Have I got News for You (use of prostitutes and cocaine use; was married, now not) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2373711.stm and Russel Brand and Jonathon Ross who left an exceptionally bad taste  message on Andrew Sach's (AKA Manuel in Fawltey Towers) voicemail on live radio http://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/apr/03/russell-brand-jonathan-ross-bbc-fine . Also known as SachsGate here.

But although these were seriously big media news in the UK, neither programme has international reach.  Completely unlike Top Gear.

Clarkson's from Doncaster, what else can you expect?  Anyone who has been to Doncaster will understand the truth of this.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

I know it's not likely to be very popular around here but if Clarkson actually struck a co-worker over the lack of food service he deserves to be sacked in my opinion.

Of course it could have started as about food service and escalated: "wtf there is no food", "yup", "fucking fix it", "fuck off", "no fucking fix it", "Shove it up your arse you prick".... punch. That wouldn't be grounds.

I do agree that BBC needs to figure out what they want to do.

OK - the BBC absolutely must have contingency plans.  Suppose Clarkson had been taken ill, had a car crash etc.  In those circumstances they would not have cancelled the show - so the unanswered question is what are those contingency plans, and why were they not implemented.  Or even continued the last three shows with just Hammond and May - you can bet the ratings would have gone through the roof, with people watching just to see what TG is like without Clarkson.

So cancelling the 3 remaining programmes "while they investigate" is hopelessly feckless.  How long does it take to investigate anyway?  Only two people are involved, and there must have been witnesses - it is the job of 24 hours max.

And since Clarkson, like anyone in performing arts, is not employed by the BBC (he is an independent contractor) they have absolutely no hold over him - all they can do is cancel his contract.  Which is due to expire after the end of this series anyway!

From a guy - one of the admins - on another forum (The Audio Standard):

"Having directed in film and tv for 20 years, none of my producers would have made a mistake like that ... But if they did, sure I would be pissed off but can't imagine trying to knock them out even if I didn't get on with them. There are plenty of circumstances when shooting on location when 'meals on wheels' / location catering aren't always possible, but other arrangements are always made."

Oisin Tymon ➿ @TymonOisin  ·  19h 19 hours ago
Filming was stopped for the day my duty manager found out and reported it now it's out of hand this is silly

So he didn't even report it himself - the "duty manager", whatever that is, was the one who stirred it up with the BBC.

I'd say based on Tymon's tweets, and his retweets of the Save Clarkson petition, that the BBC have just carved a massively deep hole for themselves.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

Hard to imagine them not looking like a bunch of reactionary twats if Tymon is telling the truth.

On the plus side they've restocked the internet rage machine for at least a few weeks.  I cannot fathom the gnashing of teeth and hammering of keyboards world-wide over the last few days.

It would appear that the top gear team is like family, and we all know what they are like.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/03/12/top-gear-and-jeremy-clarkson-heres-what-i-saw-when-i-worked-on-the-show/

World Wide, indeed

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31843500

More opinion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2990777/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-white-male-damned-British-No-wonder-Beeb-wants-shot-Clarkson.html

Bored at the top? Brinksmanship? Storm in a teacup?

And on that bombshell ...

Well yes - I read that too.  But we are talking about a report in the Daily Mail, who are not known for their objectivity.  All the reports from that family come back to a Sky interview, and are clearly exaggerated (30 minute rant - not possible)

The standing joke is the Mail reports on the cancer causing, or cancer risk reduction effects of food.  Depending on how they feel on a particular day, as an example tomatoes can be either good for you, or lethal.  

Google is your friend http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/scare-stories/the-daily-mails-list-of-things-that-give-you-cancer-from-a-to-z.html/with links to the original articles.

There are only four (moderately) objective dailies in the UK - the Guardian, the Independent, the Telegraph and the Times.

Here we go:  Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/13/bbc-apologises-top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-inquiry

Nothing at all today in the Telegraph

Indpendent, just quotes the same Sky stuff (minus the typical Mail hyperbole of steak and fondant potatoes, which clearly has no basis in fact) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-family-claim-they-witnessed-presenter-threaten-to-have-producer-fired-during-expletive-laden-rant-10105472.html

And typical Times - you have to subscribe to read an article!

If this isn't a publicity stunt, then the BBC has no idea how to handle the situation, or deal with high-profile talent. This should have been resolved internally, quietly, with no fuss, and without suspending the world's most celebrated show. Sure, Clarkson acted like a pillock, but come on, high-profile celebrities often act like pillocks and as a producer or television director it is your job to make sure that the whole show keeps going regardless. Instead, we have episodes suspended on a whim, dirty laundry being aired out in public, and a whole bunch of irritated viewers who just want their show back.

This is very unprofessional management on behalf of the BBC, and IMO the people responsible should be fired immediately.

• Like 1

If this isn't a publicity stunt, then the BBC has no idea how to handle the situation, or deal with high-profile talent. This should have been resolved internally, quietly, with no fuss, and without suspending the world's most celebrated show. Sure, Clarkson acted like a pillock, but come on, high-profile celebrities often act like pillocks and as a producer or television director it is your job to make sure that the whole show keeps going regardless. Instead, we have episodes suspended on a whim, dirty laundry being aired out in public, and a whole bunch of irritated viewers who just want their show back.

This is very unprofessional management on behalf of the BBC, and IMO the people responsible should be fired immediately.

^^ This

I dunno how I feel about Edmonds.  The hugely popular Noel's House Party got cancelled when they killed a guy - they had a viewer stunt each week, and a guy bungee jumped and the harness broke.  And recently he has been trying to buy the BBC lock stock and barrel using (I believe) Saudi money.

But he is very lucid in supporting Clarkson and his like.

Edited by Craig Sawyers