Top Gear

Edwood

From where I sit I think they went out in pretty good order.  The last episode in particular had me in stitches.

I'm hopeful, but doubtful, that the three of them will get together elsewhere to do something.  Right now, it's like an athlete retiring way too soon...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Top Gear Related.

JC is guest host on HIGNFY. Should be fun.

Spoilers from the recording

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-battered-first-bbc-6557434

And live tweeting of a follow along to the broadcast

http://www.telegraeph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11907578/jeremy-clarkson-have-i-got-news-for-you-live.html

Journalism, eh?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile the hand-picked new producer has bailed out.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-12-22/chris-evans-loses-his-top-gear-executive-producer-lisa-clark-after-just-five-months

... together they devised and produced a range of entertainment formats and scripted comedies across all channels and platforms, from BBC1’s Celebrity Dog School to BBC3’s Tittybangbang.

How did I possibly miss the latter?

Well, BBC3 has been fertile ground for new comedy, and has some massive successes to its name.  I never saw Tittybangbang, but knowing the alternative comedy genius of Bob Mortimer the collection of challengingly weird characters does not surprise me at all.  That it survived three series suggests it had an audience.

But the BBC is making some very strange decisions lately.  In spite of massive protest BBC3 is being axed from the TV and put 100% on line.  They have just decided to quit Formula 1 coverage to reduce costs, and it has been picked up by Channel 4.  And the axed a 3rd series of House of Fools, one of my all time favourite comedies, in spite of great ratings.

Chris Harris is the best automotive journalist on youtube. Though credit also has to go to his cameraman, Neil Carey, as he puts out some terrific work. Together the two of them have produced stuff that I've consistently liked more than Top Gear lately, so inviting Chris is the natural, logical choice. Considering that he hasn't been doing that well since he left Drive, it's also only logical that he accepted. I'm not sure about Sabine, and word round the campfire is that David Coulthard will also be joining them. Either way, that's a pretty good lineup of presenters.

I would have loved to see Rowan Atkinson but the BBC probably can't afford to pay him.

Now here's to hoping that the BBC's managerial clusterfuck doesn't tighten the leash too much and make them copy the old TG formula verbatim.

On 12/24/2015 at 10:56 PM, n_maher said:

He's the only Youtube subscription that I ever setup.  That said, they should just give him a show and not call it Top Gear.  Burdening anyone with trying to fill that void seems fruitless.

It really is going to put an unfair amount of pressure by keeping the old name. The orangutan, midget, and captain quick (and the incredible production crew just as much) made Top Gear into what it is, the BBC should just let that stay associated with "Top Gear" and let Harris create something of his own without that baggage.

Is most of the crew staying with the BBC or following the trio?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...