Oh boy... :rolleyes another XXX$ usb cable...

MASantos

You know, someone once defined the difference between an "adult" and someone who is not as, the adult will receive criticism, disregard the messenger, and decide for himself if the criticism is appropriate or not, and then do with the information what is appropriate. I.E. if something is broken, fix it, irregardless of whether or not the complainant is a whiny bitch or a polite individual. That would be like someone complaining that cable reversed polarity and the cable-maker saying that there is room for interpretation on what defines "cable". Ultra:palm:.

Seems fine to me if he wants to deviate from the spec. He just shouldn't call it a USB cable. ;D
That's actually a good point. Perhaps he should be reported to the USB police? Edited by Dusty Chalk

Out of interest, what was the purpose in posting the comments about USB spec in his thread? Also, does it matter particularly if it meets spec or not?

And yes, I think that if you can afford such a USB cable, you can afford a DAC where it wouldn't make any difference. Just wondering where useful posts ends and posting for sport begins.

Out of interest, what was the purpose in posting the comments about USB spec in his thread? Also, does it matter particularly if it meets spec or not?

And yes, I think that if you can afford such a USB cable, you can afford a DAC where it wouldn't make any difference. Just wondering where useful posts ends and posting for sport begins.

USB is a standard. It's ethically wrong to make a cable that doesn't meet those standards/specifications and market it otherwise.

If a USB cable doesn't meet the specifications, the result would be 1 of 2 things:

1) the audio is unchanged

2) data errors are introduced, which may or not be audible. if this were a video cable, you would see the errors, because eyes > ears. which is why every HDMI cable is made the same way, you can't ignore the physics of it and just braid wires together.

The possibility of improving the sound never exists, unless the data errors are magical. But I guess that's enough to still need a 3rd possibility.

3) Lost or misinterpreted 0's and 1's result in added bass, added warmth, bigger soundstage, take your pick.

You know what would make a difference...for that kind of money, you could probably get a box that optically or transformer isolates all 4 wires from the computer and reclocks the data, and uses a battery to supply the 5V to the device.

I think it was an embarrassment to him when someone posted the link to the proper USB spec, instead of the Wiki spec that he (they?) had been using. I agree that if it is marketed as a USB cable, it better meet spec.

He deleted that post, then made the decision to delete the rest of them. I suppose some of this comes back to the Amphora thread responses, etc. as well.

I linked up the spec and made the critique, extremely diplomatically I thought. I had written up a new post to start a public thread with after he deleted all of the badness for business, but its saved on my laptop which isn't here.

I'll post it on head-fi tomo. Frankly, It needs to be done. Ducking basic questions like that is Singlepoweresque and plain unacceptable to my sensibilities. And this may just prove an excellent oppertunity to draw a line in the sand between science and audiophool bullshit (unless the cable turns out to meet the USB spec and/or exceed it).

who cares?!? how much different is this USB crap from selling a $100+ LOD? i mean really when your buying a few inches of cable for a simple ipod dac'd line out to a portable headphone amp for that much is a "highend" USB cable much worse?

USB is a standard. I expect any USB cable I buy to work for any USB device I connect to it be it an external hard drive, a scanner, a midi controller, DSL modem, etc, etc. If the cable is not as resistant to noise (this would appear to be the case here) then it's worse than almost any cheap USB cable I can buy.

I made no posts on the thread, but I don't see a problem with the spec having been posted there. It isn't something that should be a problem to a vendor who truly stands behind their product. If he wants to make a $xxxx USB cable that meets the specs then that's fine. I'd still disagree that it does anything extra, but at least we'd still know it at least meets the minimum requirements for a USB cable.

I linked up the spec and made the critique, extremely diplomatically I thought. I had written up a new post to start a public thread with after he deleted all of the badness for business, but its saved on my laptop which isn't here.

I'll post it on head-fi tomo. Frankly, It needs to be done. Ducking basic questions like that is Singlepoweresque and plain unacceptable to my sensibilities. And this may just prove an excellent oppertunity to draw a line in the sand between science and audiophool bullshit (unless the cable turns out to meet the USB spec and/or exceed it).

Duggeh: Reading between the lines (of one of mbriant's posts), I think you've been declared a troll who posts on behalf of a group of conspiracy-creating people on here.

I was tempted to suggest earlier just reposting in the regular forums, but that would make me part of the conspiracy. ;)

Duggeh: Reading between the lines (of one of mbriant's posts), I think you've been declared a troll who posts on behalf of a group of conspiracy-creating people on here.

I was tempted to suggest earlier just reposting in the regular forums, but that would make me part of the conspiracy. ;)

mbriant, saving the world from the evils of Head-Case. :rolleyes:

If he actually ends up selling it as a USB cable and calling it such without meeting the specs I smell a lawsuit.

Oh and anyone that buys one of these deserve a visit to the :basement:

Edited by tkam

This entire fiasco on part of ALO is despicable. How greedy do they have to be to sell a cable that may not even be up to USB specs for megabucks using audiophool bullshit and marketing hype when a perfectly good USB cable cost can be had for ten bucks? Not to mention the complete lack of integrity in deleting a thread in which someone dioplomatically called them out for their bullshit.