Apogee ONE

grawk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grawk, what kind of Mac will you be running? If it's a MBP or just a regular MacBook, could you give impressions of the built-in mic vs the ONE's mic? I'm interested in doing some amateur recordings of my violin, but honestly, I'm not serious enough to buy a nice mike and interface, especially when I can have the ONE doing double duty.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had $100 credit at amazon so I ordered the ONE. Hope there is not too much hiss since I plan to use it with the JH13 (or ESW9) at the office.

The Apogee Duet only had mild hiss with the ES3X with the volume down. Since the JH13Pro have less hiss than the ES3X, hopefully the One will work just as well or better.

I was thinking about getting One to add to my DAC/amp review. And I'm hoping to get a review sample of the CEntrance DACport which is a 24/96 USB DAC/amp that sounded as good with my Grado RS-1 as the Duet did when using 24/96 native music. I liked it enough to loan them my RS-1 for two days at RMAF so people could appreciate it better. They license the 24/96 USB technology to others like Benchmark, and it was expected to sell for about $300 when I talked with the guy at RMAF. I don't know why it never occured to me to try my ES3X or JH13Pro with it. :palm:

This is one of the reasons that I didn't get the duet. If the Apogee ONE is hissy with IEMs, it will probably be going back - I will just have to spring for a Gilmore lite + Pico DAC for the office. :P

By the way, I just looked at the price of the Gilmore lite, it seems to be $499 now. Wasn't it just recently $399 or I am just being stupid?

I understand, from a business perspective, that the portable amps are the way to go (especially if you can get other people to build them for you). I can still pout though. I am very happy with my GS-1 and certainly never plan on selling it (unless, perhaps, I were to replace it with a GS-X - assuming that is still an option in the future).

Got the ONE in the mail today. Very easy to setup (downloaded software off Apogee's website for Snow Leopard...). I plugged in my Klipsch X10's and ....... hisssssss - no good. There is about the same amount of hiss on the ONE on near zero volume as I get on my Ipod Classic at near maximum volume. There is still less hiss than straight out of the Macbook Pro but that doesn't say much. I guess I will probably be sending it back because I don't think I could ever listen to the JH13 on it.

Also, the ONE seems kinda cheap (I feel like the button you push on top is made by Fisher Price plastic) but it is pretty cheap so I cannot complain too much.

Cannot really say much about the sound quality because I actually haven't listened to it much yet.