Apogee ONE

grawk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming I can find my RCA to 1/8" adapter `thingy', I will hook it up to the GS-1 and WA5-LE and compare it the ECD-1.

I assume that the hiss is similar to that of the Duet. I do not detect any hiss except through IEMS by the way.

I am also not so sure how to get a "line out" from the ONE. The instructions say to put the output on "stereo" which is the same as the output setting for "headphones" (with volume adjustment on the computer/ONE) so won't this necessarily not be the same as a line out but the same as a headphone out. There is an "amp" option but the directions seems to claim that is only an instrument amp. I am so confused. :(

http://support.apogeedigital.com/assets/documentation/one_usersguide.pdf

Edit: Here is what it says in the manual:

"Output Level - Select the operating characteristics of ONE's output in this menu:

Select Stereo when ONE's output is connected to headphones, powered speakers, a mixing console or a home

stereo

Select Amp when ONE's output is connected to an instrument amplifier. ONE's output level is fixed (i.e. hardware

and software output level controls won't change the output level) and reduced to a level better suited for instrument amplifier inputs."

Same as with the duet. Just find a level that works for your amp.

Ah ok. So put it on stereo and don't turn it all the way up (maybe 2/3 of the way or so)? Will there a problem with clipping if I put it all the way up or is it set up to handle that?

They say in the manual to put it all the way up ("0 dB"):

"Connect a home stereo to ONE

OK, found my RCA to 1/8" adapter to try the ONE with the GS-1. It is hard to decide what volume to set it on with the ONE. For some songs, if I set it on half volume, I have to turn the GS-1 to 3pm. For others, 11pm is ok. So I had to keep changing it with each song. The DAC portion is pretty good, not quite as dynamic, impactful or as musical as the ECD-1 but I wasn't really expecting anything like that. Also, I compared it to the 2move that I have and slightly preferred the ONE over the 2move, both as a DAC through the GS-1 and as an amp/dac. It is too bad the 2move is so much quieter (at least on low gain) than the ONE with IEMS. :( Of course, you should take all of this with a grain of salt since this is my findings over about an hour of listening.

• 5 months later...

yeah no netbook rigs till mac brings one for those thinking that. looks sweet and i'm yet to hear anything from apogee I didnt like. i'm sure it'll have a few people droling already, but yeah mac only will limit the market somewhat, not me but i'm all sorted for portable dacs

no problem hehe (assuming sarcasm), hey its all conjecture at the moment, I would think my statement is at least as valid as 'do want' i'm still keen to hear any real impressions when someone gets one, always good to know whats going on in this price bracket for recommendations even if I dont need one myself and if its even half as good as any of the apogee pro convertors i've heard, i'd have no problem recommending it to someone. the mic truly does make it interesting for students and the driver support for apogee on macs is unsurpassed; especially for anyone using logic studio/express

• 1 year later...

So reportedly the apogee one is compliant, and works on the ipad, and under linux.

Just as a general comment, you need at least ALSA version 1.0.23 drivers and utilities to run USB Audio Class 2 compliant devices. That requirement would be satisfied with pretty much any current Linux distribution.