Stupid M3 questions which I'm sure have been answered before...

geremy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear that it sounds moar killer when sprinkled with JMFD (Jena Magic Fairy Dust), which is made from a propriety combination of ground Unicorn horn and Dragon's teeth.

On a serious note, how does the Cardas Tri-eutectic solder compare with the quad for ease of use? I'd prefer to delete the lead.

Edited by guzziguy

Almost all the parts are now in and I have some more silly questions:

1) I plan to mount the board in the chassis backwards (volume and bass-boost pots to the rear) to minimize the length of wire from the input selector/volume attenuator kit and also to place the heat sinks closer to the edge of the case where the venting is. This means that I will be using the front board inputs only. When looking at the board, this means that I have about 6" of copper trace antennas on each signal channel. Is there any recommended termination schema? Should I cut the traces to the rear (my front) inputs?

2) For C4, C5 and C7 I ordered from the Nichicon PW line. Do these caps make much of an impact on sound being that they are not in the direct signal path? Should I upgrade these to the KZ or go for some boutique brand? I don't see how they are going to make any difference but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks for the help.

From Mouser:

9 X 647-UKZ1E221MHM = $3.42

7 X 647-UKZ1E101MPM = $2.38

9 X 647-UPW1H331MPD = $5.85

7 X 647-UPW1H331MPD = $2.52

Being able to say your M3 has boutique caps that were cheaper then the standard caps = priceless. :D

the UKZ caps are only rated at 25 volts instead of 50 volts for the UPWs which after the diode drop should not be an issue with a Q11 configured to output 24 volts. Sound wise I dunno if there is enough difference to warrant the added $, especially since you already have the UPWs.

Actually according the nichicon website there is UKZ1H caps available, rated at 50V. I cannot find them on the mouser site thought. The do have a slimmer temperature range (-40 to 85 C) and are only rated for 1000 hours as opposed to the PW's 3000 hours.

Thanks though, I didn't believe that there would be any appreciable difference but I wanted to check.

Now I need to find a small +5V linear standby supply for the volume/input kit. I'm thinking about going with the standby supply which Mister X linked me to earlier in the thread here: Standby supplies

I have attached my projected faceplate design. Inputs are appreciated! I'm not sure whether or not it is OK to use the AMB Laboratories name. Anybody know?

Current Plan is for the case to be the Hifi2000 Galaxy GX348 with the optional 10mm front panel. The text is (hopefully) milled out from the plate. The knobs are also from modushop.biz, they are the 29mm for source/power and 39mm for volume/mute. The jacks are standard neutrik. I am considering adding the milled handles if that is possible on the galaxy front panel but I'm worried it may be overdoing it.

post-1547-12951154119197_thumb.jpg

Nobody has any thoughts about terminating the 6 inches of copper trace from the unused inputs? Is the question just silly?

Cut them if you are concerned with them... couldn't hurt (unless you need to reuse the board later).

I have attached my projected faceplate design. Inputs are appreciated! I'm not sure whether or not it is OK to use the AMB Laboratories name. Anybody know?

Current Plan is for the case to be the Hifi2000 Galaxy GX348 with the optional 10mm front panel. The text is (hopefully) milled out from the plate. The knobs are also from modushop.biz, they are the 29mm for source/power and 39mm for volume/mute. The jacks are standard neutrik. I am considering adding the milled handles if that is possible on the galaxy front panel but I'm worried it may be overdoing it.

Front looks ok, no real comments. You might PM amb to see if it is ok using Amb Labs. Not quite sure what you mean by the text being milled out from the plate? As in cutting away material to leave raised text? I would think the rack handles might be a bit much as this isn't a big power amp. That's just me though.

• 3 weeks later...
- Is the input voltage symetrical ? is it 27V (seems to be a lot) or +27V and ground ?
It's a single supply (27V/G) and split on the board by the TLE voltage divider.

-If I do not want the the bass boost, do I just shorcut everything like Sbll do ?

RTFM, the instructions for what to do if you do not want bass boost are right on amb's website. :)

For your other 2 questions I have no idea what you're asking.

Sorry for that.:(

I'm asking if the mosfets are powered the same as the op-amp like here.

I understood how the BB works.

For the MMM, the is no reason to use any other resource than AMB's site. Everything is detailed there as clear as day.

The power to the OPAMPs is heavily isolated from the MOSFETs - that is the whole point of AMB's design.

Sorry to have called it a modified SDS labs, if it is unfair, i'll simply call it MMM ;).

That was precisely what I din't understand, the V- on the schematic is ground, isn't it ? I read a lot the MMM page again and again but I didn't find everything I was looking to understand.

I want to try a project ona breadboard, no printed PCB.

That was precisely what I din't understand, the V- on the schematic is ground, isn't it ? I read a lot the MMM page again and again but I didn't find everything I was looking to understand.

Only a single supply is needed. It is not necessary to use a dual (or "split") power supply with positive and negative rails. The single supply is internally split on the M

What, precisely, did you not understand?

The mosfet power is not symetrical, V- is ground. Am I wrong about this ?

And best of luck with the breadboard experiment, I do not envy you the hours of routing of jumpers that will be necessary.

Last project I did was stupidly populating a printed PCB (dynalo). I learnt lots about how the amp works but nothing about layout.