Michael Jackson RIP

John Willett

It's surreal.

I think that, generally, people my age (20 and under) never really got to know Michael Jackson as the "king". I have heard his most well-known work, I conceptually understand how large of a scale his popularity was, but in one large respect he is comparable to Elvis for me. The Jackson that my age group knows is the one that faced trial, money issues, a complete drop-off in professional success, etc. Essentially, we spent time making fun of MJ rather than appreciating his impact on culture.

It is quite a shame.

It's surreal.

I think that, generally, people my age (20 and under) never really got to know Michael Jackson as the "king". I have heard his most well-known work, I conceptually understand how large of a scale his popularity was, but in one large respect he is comparable to Elvis for me. The Jackson that my age group knows is the one that faced trial, money issues, a complete drop-off in professional success, etc. Essentially, we spent time making fun of MJ rather than appreciating his impact on culture.

It is quite a shame.

I agree. In my household he was still revered but amongst my peers he was reviled. I grew up doing the Thriller dance in my living room and singing "Ben." When I was 9 I had the opportunity to be in one of his music videos and I was able to meet and talk with him. It was odd because he seemed just just as nervous as I did. As odd as his public antics were, during our conversation, he seemed really down to earth.

He'll definitely be missed by a great many people.

He really was extremely talented. Too bad the head was so fucked up.

I couldn't agree more. After the Jackson Five I just never could get into him. And I grew up mere miles from his home town of Gary. It's sad that he died so young but people on TV deifying him seems a bit much...

And it makes me think - he's less than a year younger than me.

Wow! Growing up with the the Jackson 5 and then watching as his star grew and his sanity shrank. I'm not a fan, but I do have a couple of LP's, Off The Wall and Thriller were Classics. He ended up being a nut case and social pariah, but he's been part of the fabric of my life, and tonight I feel a little unwound.