who here likes rap?

atothex

I've been kinda wondering lately why nobody in audiophiledom seems to talk about rap. Do audiophiles just not like rap? Nobody seems to care about ripping CDs or bumping classics on vinyl, which doesn't make much sense to me, because rap is a very popular genre. It's weird, because obscure shit like tech death or black metal gets plenty of love on forums. But not rap?

Well, rap is my second favorite genre after rock, and I hope some of y'all want to talk about it with me. I'm not really into that 80s bboy shit; my tastes only stretch back to early 90s gangsta. My personal favorite rap group has pretty much always been Jedi Mind Tricks, especially the Violent by Design and Legacy of Blood albums. Lately, I've been listening to shitty mp3s of Big L's freestyles, and I'm pretty sure he's like the sickest rapper ever.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can enjoy some rap, just usually not as an audiophile endeavor. By no means am I an expert, but I enjoy some backpacker stuff and even a little mainstream. Aesop Rock, Jurassic 5, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, a little Jay Z now and then, Tupac... Haven't really listened to much rap since the backing tracks evolved from funk era samples into modern techno bs. I always felt the artists were more comfortable and worked better with the funk sound.

When i used to work with adolescent gang members I listened for awhile. But i noticed how the violent lyrics affected me in a negative manner and stopped.

Go get yourself some Jurassic 5 or Outkast: terrific positive commercial rap imo. I personally gravitate toward violent lyrics, but even metal isn't all violence.

Do you not like action movies then?

I really don't understand the need for people to come into the rap threads and unleash their minds on how rap isn't music, its warps minds bla bla bla. I stay out of jazz threads because I don't like it, and won't add anything to the discussion. Honestly, if you don't want to add positively to the discussion, kindly keep your 2 cents out.

I forgot Outkast! It's been so long since the last album. Def one of my favorites. Big Boi spoke the other day about a new Outkast album after both him and Dre release solo albums. I'll probably grab all three.

I really don't understand the need for people to come into the rap threads and unleash their minds on how rap isn't music, its warps minds bla bla bla. I stay out of jazz threads because I don't like it, and won't add anything to the discussion. Honestly, if you don't want to add positively to the discussion, kindly keep your 2 cents out.

Truth.

An odd double standard, right there.

I forgot Outkast! It's been so long since the last album. Def one of my favorites. Big Boi spoke the other day about a new Outkast album after both him and Dre release solo albums. I'll probably grab all three.

Can't wait for Dre's new album also check out "The Knux" I mentioned them in my previous post but they have an outkast type vibe/style.

many of you know I was way into rap at one time, but I honestly haven't listened to much for the past couple of years.

I go through phases. A month or so ago it was nothing but Relapse and Busta. Right now I'm back to Regina, Jane Moneheit, Immy, etc. Variety is the spice of life!

Every once in a while I'll get out the Illmatic or Resurrection.

There has to be at least some loose approximation of melody or notes, or I lose interest immediately.

Also, stuff like stupid telephone skits peppered throughout the albums is of no interest to me.

I enjoy mediocre rock a lot more than I enjoy top-shelf rap though. By about 1000 orders of magnitude, squared.

Music cycles usually last about 10 years give or take. To be honest rap is dying. I've watched the rap section in the cd store I go to decrease from 8 rows to 2.

I don't care for it one bit, but I also know there's probably some good rap out there. Most likely by people that you don't hear of in the mainstream.

Lifestylez is a great album and probably my favorite rap album.

I used to listen to lots of "underground" rap many years ago, but there's so much more unexplored music out there, that I haven't really kept up with rap. One of my biggest complaints was even the really good albums just had too much filler on them. I don't mean skits, because sometimes they are well done, filler as in terrible songs. Only a few perfectionists released consistent albums IMO. Some of the real underground artists from Boston and NYC (CDRs or demo tapes) still put out consistently good stuff.

I do think jazz is far better and for every good rap album there are probably ten exceptional jazz albums.

Edited by deepak