my next machine planning, help and advice wanted!

I don't think that power supply is overkill by any means. You don't actually want to buy a supply that only barely matches up with your usage. Running a PSU well under it's rating means it stays cool, quiet and unstressed while providing stable voltages. When used that way efficiency is the most important aspect of the supply and those Corsairs are over 80% efficient at 20%, 50% and 100% load. They probably waste less power than many of the cheaper brands do with far lower wattage ratings.

As if that wasn't enough reason, power supplies also degrade over time. I've yet to see actual measured numbers, but have seen "5% a year" thrown around as an estimate.

Looks like a pretty great machine you've got there Billy.

Good points.

Of course I wouldn't suggest a PSU that just barely matches up with the usage. Looking at the build, I thought a 650W Power supply would be sufficient.

Besides, never anything wrong with MOAR power.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points.

Of course I wouldn't suggest a PSU that just barely matches up with the usage. Looking at the build, I thought a 650W Power supply would be sufficient.

Sure, I get what you're saying. As long as the efficiency is good though I'm always more than happy to overshoot power needs. I mean I wouldn't want to run one of these over 325W personally...

tx650w_noise.jpg

well i had a issue with letting itunes know to use only the one drive and not the c drive. i got fed up with it so i redid everything in Raid 0! the speed is amazing fast! and yes i do backups of my stuff weekly so data integ is not the most important thing to me.

the problem i had with itunes was this. i am downloading itunes and setting it up as normal. then i close it and delete the "itunes" file so i can replace it from my backup (this way you keep date added, playlists, etc). the first time around it worked but i noticed later i had the library on the c drive, when i tried to move the library it did not want to go there. so i deleted itunes and reinstalled it on the other drive as orignally planned, but it still didn't want to keep the date added when i loaded it in. throw in my patience level i have now with everything i just reloaded windows with both drives working in raid 0... and i am glad i did cause it is that fast!

this is my first computer i put together and it went smooth as cake, minus my patience levels..haha

i rather run the power supply at lower levels so it does just that as mirumu stated, exactly how German car companies build their engines, over build them to what they will be run at.

seriously you guys helped out major! from dustys talk about cpu's to mirmu talk about power supplies..every comment helped in a major way!

• 1 month later...

update:

i swapped the Thermal take v1 cpu cooler out for the Thermal right 120 extreme. i added 6 more gb's of 1600 ram (12 gb total). i also installed a memory card reader in the 3.5 front bay.

i taken out the 230m fan on the side and a 120 on the back is unplugged..

i am currently running the cpu at 4 Ghz getting 35c temps at idle and 65c under full load (prime and real temp used for testing). i didn't do much but bump the voltage up to 1.25 on the chip and adjusted the RAM to 1603 (auto setting took it to 2000+). just a simple base clock change and a bunch of prime testing in between.. the stock intel cooler had the cpu running at 50c at stock speeds (2.67) just idling,,

thinking about adding Noctua 120 or 80 fan on the side and installing one in the rear later on for better air movement inside the case.

any advice?

itunes opens up great! its my only real program i use alot...haha

update:

i swapped the Thermal take v1 cpu cooler out for the Thermal right 120 extreme. i added 6 more gb's of 1600 ram (12 gb total). i also installed a memory card reader in the 3.5 front bay.

i taken out the 230m fan on the side and a 120 on the back is unplugged..

i am currently running the cpu at 4 Ghz getting 35c temps at idle and 65c under full load (prime and real temp used for testing). i didn't do much but bump the voltage up to 1.25 on the chip and adjusted the RAM to 1603 (auto setting took it to 2000+). just a simple base clock change and a bunch of prime testing in between.. the stock intel cooler had the cpu running at 50c at stock speeds (2.67) just idling,,

thinking about adding Noctua 120 or 80 fan on the side and installing one in the rear later on for better air movement inside the case.

any advice?

itunes opens up great! its my only real program i use alot...haha

just the right amount of computing power for itune :palm:

Did you prime all 8 virtual cores for 24hrs with small FFTs ?

What's your temp delta to Tjunction?

65 does sound high for 45nm core, especially when it's already super cold in Chitown (i.e. your ambient temp isn't that high)

just the right amount of computing power for itune :palm:

Did you prime all 8 virtual cores for 24hrs with small FFTs ?

What's your temp delta to Tjunction?

65 does sound high for 45nm core, especially when it's already super cold in Chitown (i.e. your ambient temp isn't that high)

i ran 8 for 5 hours, should i go longer? what the hell is a temp delta to tjunction? my room temp is about 71 degrees..

65c? That strikes me as a bit high.

12G is pretty epic for iTunes.

thats the max temp it gets..

i looked everywhere and they say thats not bad? oh noes im going to blow my chip! i hope not..

lets have some fun this beat is sick, i wanna take a ride on this intel chip!

i ran 8 for 5 hours, should i go longer? what the hell is a temp delta to tjunction? my room temp is about 71 degrees..

run 8 for 24hrs

run coretmp; it will give you the delta to Tjunction value (how close you are to total core meltdown, or its equivalent)

71 in chitown now means 81 during "taste of chitown" which means your 65 will become 70 or more (depending on how dusty your machine becomes). For your ambient temp I would shoot for sub 60

my room temp is about 71 degrees..
No it's not. Not Celsius anyway.

Do the math, 65 Celsius is about 149 Fahrenheit.

And before anyone else corrects me, yes I'm pretty sure he quoted the units right, especially if he was overclocking AND had both his fans off AND the ambient room temperature is already 71 (note to Billy -- it's never cooler inside the computer than it is outside the computer -- that's why there's cooling).

Okay, someone make a snarky comment that Billy just made the computer equivalent of a RSA Raptor, please. WTF-sweat.gif

Edited by Dusty Chalk

No it's not. Not Celsius anyway.

Do the math, 65 Celsius is about 149 Fahrenheit.

And before anyone else corrects me, yes I'm pretty sure he quoted the units right, especially if he was overclocking AND had both his fans off AND the ambient room temperature is already 71 (note to Billy -- it's never cooler inside the computer than it is outside the computer -- that's why there's cooling).

Okay, someone make a snarky comment that Billy just made the computer equivalent of a RSA Raptor, please. WTF-sweat.gif

but i dont wanna go down in baseclock!!!! cant i just run the prick at 4 not prime testing? until i get moar fans? i mean it only gets in the 40's watching a itunes 720 movie..

run 8 for 24hrs

run coretmp; it will give you the delta to Tjunction value (how close you are to total core meltdown, or its equivalent)

71 in chitown now means 81 during "taste of chitown" which means your 65 will become 70 or more (depending on how dusty your machine becomes). For your ambient temp I would shoot for sub 60

otay i do this later! real temp has a "distance to tj max" thingy, at first i thought it was a google maps thing but maybe its the tj you talk about? (im joking)

my tjmax is at 100, so if i am full load at 65c then my distance to tj max is 35c...