Kitty Talk

Dusty Chalk

Also, "Cha-cha" in English is pronounced with a hard "ch" sound, so it sounds a lot different than "Chat-chat" (soft ch) does.

I'm quite impressed. I was presuming that this kind of nuance would have been noted only by GPH. You got a point Sir but try to keep this subtile distinction alive while you're eating a peanut butter sandwich and someone ask you the name of your cat....:P

What? You're not going to even consider "Adolf"? ;)

The only german names allowed in the list are dead German architects...:cool:

Amicalement

I'm quite impressed. I was presuming that this kind of nuance would have been noted only by GPH. You got a point Sir but try to keep this subtile distinction alive while you're eating a peanut butter sandwich and someone ask you the name of your cat....:P

It took me a minute to figure it out. I'd never heard "Cha-cha" used to mean cat in French. I've heard "Minou-minou", but not "Cha-cha". Then it hit me. :palm:

The only german names allowed in the list are dead German architects...:cool:

Amicalement

It's not German, it's Austrian. At least in this case. :D

A little less than 2 days to go before I get "Bobby"!

That came across as the very Anglo Saxon version of 'gettin' jiggy'. As in...

"As soon as I find a suitable place to set my Scotch and soda, I'm going out to that dance floor and getting Bobby with it."

Edited by swt61

My outside Cat (Momma or Momma Girl) had another litter.

She actually had two kittens, but one didn't make it through the first day. She brought it to me to fix, but there was nothing I could do. She didn't hold it against me though.

So meet Solo. She brings it out every day, so I can pet and talk to it. That will make it much easier to transition it to it's new home once weaned. My painter has dibs on Solo, so it will have a good, loving home.

MommaCatKitty0011077x808.jpg

MommaCatKitty0021077x808.jpg

MommaCatKitty0031077x808.jpg

Congrats on your soon to be new addition Dusty!

Edited by swt61

Dusty,

Keep us posted on your efforts to integrate a new kitty into an established cat household. We're considering cat number two, and all we speak with indicate a large amount of hissing until their smells start to mingle. Some suggested as much as rubbing your hands on one cat and then rubbing the other, and visa versa (waiting for Stretch to pounce on that comment).

Read ya on the smitten part. My cat has me completely wrapped around her little paw. Coolest thing; follows me around the windows when I get home and hops on my shoulder for minutes of head-butting affection.

I am fortunate enough to know several people who have integrated cats before, so have received some good advice. My cat #1 (Luvbug) is ...uh... ornery, to say the least. She still hisses every time she sees Missy (the house owner's cat). They have come to a decent truce of sorts in that one stays on one floor mostly, the other on the other mostly. We think we've found scabs on both of them, but there hasn't been enough bloodshed or tufts of fur to be sure of any out-and-out battles.

The recommended methodology is to keep them in separate rooms for two weeks -- they'll smell each other through the door. Then introduce them in controlled circumstances (hold one, bring it into the room with the other, and vice versa). I'll see if I can dig up the email and quote it.

The thing that's going to be difficult is that this little guy is only about 7 weeks old, and Luvbug is 14. As in, years; as in, a senior citizen. He's going to want to play; she's not. So yeah, there'll be blood, I'm sure. Probably mine.

The other thing is, the little guy is a people climber, so if I'm holding Luvbug and bring her into the room with me, and he starts to climb me, she might try to kill me via acupuncture. I have a feeling that one will be a two person job.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

The recommended methodology is to keep them in separate rooms for two weeks -- they'll smell each other through the door. Then introduce them in controlled circumstances (hold one, bring it into the room with the other, and vice versa). I'll see if I can dig up the email and quote it.

This method has worked very well for me in the past. After the segregation I started introducing them slowly, maybe 1/2 hr. at first.

He was playing with a toy, and I snickered. He looked up, ran towards me, and leapt into my lap. I'm smitten. He's like a little ninja of love.

Bobby is a sweetheart. He was doing his chainsaw purr when I met him. You've got a great little kitty (just add cat food and wait, and he might not be so little in a bit...)

Ghost does the same leap into the lap thing at times. The problem is that Ghost weighs about 20 lbs. If you don't see it coming, a 20 lb. cat landing in your lap can do some serious damage.

Yeah, this will be the first male cat for which I am the responsible adult for him losing his reproductive abilities as well. I feel so guilty, and yet, I will still do it, because I believe in spaying and neutering.

And that's a good point about pet health insurance -- any particular reason you like that one? I'm thinking I should probably get pet health insurance as well.

Mine just tested positive for worms. :\

This is my GF's cat... He's staying with her sister when she moves in, as I have 2 cats already and she thinks a 3rd would be too many. As much as I hate to admit it, she's not wrong.

Jasper:

IMG_0441.jpg

He's adorable... I'm still trying to figure out why the hell she's willing to trade him for me :D