Kitty Talk

Dusty Chalk

Yeah, this will be the first male cat for which I am the responsible adult for him losing his reproductive abilities as well. I feel so guilty, and yet, I will still do it, because I believe in spaying and neutering.

The ''operations'' were done last friday. I tried to alleviate my guilt by providing (A) the best feline hospital setting and (B) accepting their offering of a special post-op treatment that made the life of the cat as easy it can be. After a 3 days period I had to face the task of giving the medication myself for another 4 days. Seeing how the cat behave I think I'll keep the medication reference for myself....:P (The part where I push the pill in back of the cat's throat is an interesting experience...:palm:)

And that's a good point about pet health insurance -- any particular reason you like that one? I'm thinking I should probably get pet health insurance as well.

After investing almost $1000. for an healthy street cat (OK 50% of this amount is a one in a lifetime medical event) I made the decision to protect our new guy from bad surprises and us as well.

Why Petsecure? I looked around before asking the vet for an age evaluation (it's the insurance starting point for every inquiries) and they were looking pretty serious on their website. Few days later when I got the age evaluation (1.5 year old) they were also the first service my vet was pointing to before I mentioned my interest openly in Petsecure.

BTW the level 4 was and still is a financial joke. Level 1 and maybe 2 are the way to go if you want an adequate protection and want to keep alive your interest in headphones...:P

Mine just tested positive for worms. :\

Bad news but in such a young fellow the medical outcome can only be good.

Amicalement

PS

Hold on to someting: Merlin's dentist recommended that we brush his teeth on a daily basis.:chair:

My senior citizen cat loves when I rub her gums. Oh, and I received this in an email, it was supposed to help as instructions on how to medicate a cat:

How to give a cat a pill

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the d@#n cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little b@$&@%d's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from h@%l and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give A Dog A Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.

2. Toss it in the air.

Well, I just medicated Bobby for the first time yesterday, and it was as easy as getting the pill past his tongue, getting bitten in the process (but not enough to break skin), and then watching him struggle with swallowing it (!).

Yep the first time it's so easy. The surprise element will be on his side from now on...

Mine had this for me for the second round:

armure-chat-1.jpg

Amicalement

My youngest son's kitten that he found almost a year ago. He and some friends were going past the high school not far from out house, and he heard a kitten meowing next to a tree. She was too young for adoption (vet said 3-4 weeks), and we thought we might need to feed her milk with a dropper, but she did just fine.

First pic was a couple of months after he found her. Second pic is from a couple of weeks ago when she was spayed and declawed (front). She likes sitting up on her hind legs, and can walk on her back paws a bit.

abby_kitten.jpg

abby_pdog.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I gave him his second pill today -- wasn't too bad...was a little bit worse than the first time (he only broke the skin in four or five places, and I immediately cleaned them with hydrogen peroxide), but I think I'll try the pill pockets next time.

He's definitely grown -- he didn't have any problem swallowing this one, so if his gullet is larger, then he must be larger overall.

Oh, and I discovered yet another form of amusement -- I fold back his ears and wait for them to pop back into place.

Nice picture of my boy! Yes, Ivan just loved Doug. It was kinda weird. He's a friendly cat, but he took to Doug the second he walked in.

That's a great shot.

Maybe he dug the accent.

He could probably smell haggis on Doug's clothes.

I'm much more a cat person than a dog person unless tha dogs are really nice dogs (like Mikes dogs). And cats seem to be able to sense this with me. So they know they're in for whatever they want from the stranger.

I took a bunch of pictures but the focus light kept making him move. That one is my favourite, but theres another thats better in focus.

Vicki let me know if you want all the others that aren't in the big upload. All of your JH13 pics are in the big upload too, but if you want them sooner (ie. now or tomo) then let me know too).

Catface_1024-2.jpg

The shot makes the cat look like it has his arm around your shoulder and is coming in for a kiss

One of my cats loves it when I pick him up and cradle him a bit like a baby. His paw WILL come around my neck, and as I scratch his neck and sides of his face, he'll kneed a bit, digging his claws into my neck. Sometimes hurts a bit, but too cool to stop.

Great guy....but he's the first cat of mine/ours NOT named after stereo equipment :D

• 3 weeks later...

my poor angel has a terrible foot infection. It looks like he was attacked by an animal-- probably a raccoon. He disappeared for 6 days and showed up with a food that was swooned to about 3 times it's normal size. I took him to the vet to get a rabies shot and antibiotics. I have to hold a hot compress to his foot a few times a day and force a pill down his throat. I've become his worst enemy in his opinion, I hate being the villain, it makes me glad that I don't have any children as I'm actually depressed by my cat hating my guts.