Kitty Talk

Dusty Chalk

Dunhill has broken a tooth. The tip of a canine. He has always had prominent canines (one of his nicknames is “snags”). He has had to have teeth pulled, and he was just seen by the vet a couple weeks ago for shots and a checkup. This clearly happened since then. 

He HATES the vet. I’m reluctant to drag his ass into the car, especially since he and Silver will be going with me to North Carolina in September when we spend a month with my partner. 

But I haven’t had a cat snap a fang. I don’t think the pulp is even close to being exposed, and he doesn’t seem to be in distress or discomfort (he sure fucking eats likes normal). I don’t care what it costs to be looked at, I just would prefer to save him the trip for nothing, if it’s nothing. He hates traveling. 

I’m not the most experienced cat owner (I’ve only been lucky enough to share my space with 5, to this point).

83223E9A-BB72-4AB5-AF71-132B872F85A3.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

A blinded (I think it has been attacked by something) 6 week or so old stray tuxedo kitten found itself on my patio. Currently at the SPCA getting medical treatment. I guess my good deed for the year. I have the cat’s number, so I can keep track of progress. 

A6C05FF5-C68E-4408-8BDC-D1837965B5EB.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 4

We had to say goodbye to our old girl - 18 1/2. Until yesterday she was great, eating like a horse. And two days ago I took her to have her nails clipped.

But in the last day she went downhill real quick. In the end she could hardly stand, and had even lost the will to get out of the litter tray.

At the vets there was no option, and we had to make that difficult kind choice.

Carole came along for moral support, because we reckoned that the end was not far off in any case.

We're having her cremated, and we'll bury the ashes in the garden

RIP Cleo, you were a splendid cat.

• Sad 14

16 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Sorry - why was that a funny post, TMoney? I can assure it it was not fucking funny having a cat I've know since she was 1 year old euthanized. Not even remotely a ha ha moment.

I think he clicked the wrong face. On a small screen it's difficult to see. @TMoney is a lover of cats.

I am sorry for your loss, Craig. 18 years is a long time for a cat, and a sign that you gave her a loving home.

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Sorry - why was that a funny post, TMoney? I can assure it it was not fucking funny having a cat I've know since she was 1 year old euthanized. Not even remotely a ha ha moment.

Sorry, CS. Was on my cell and hit the wrong button. So sorry for you loss. Doug is indeed correct. Lost my old girl about 5 years back so I know the feeling. 

• Like 3

In her day she was an incredible ratter. We had a rats nest under the shed. They set up home because our neighbour had an aviary, and the rats were after the roosting birds.

I bought a rat trap - a huge back breaking sort. Baited it with chocolate and waited. Next morning, trap tripped, chocolate gone, no rat. I eventually bent the mechanism to operate on a hair trigger, if you sneezed it would trip. Next morning bait gone, trap tripped, no rat. Those buggers are clever - they must have used a stick to trip the trap. I had no idea that rats were tool users.

The guy next door tried a humane trap; all he caught was a hedgehog.

Then Cleo got on the case. Worked her way through the lot of them. Of course they fight back, so she'd come in really proud with tail high looking a bit battered, and outside a half eaten rat. She got all five of them. She was a quite small cat, but a scourge of rats!

And voles, and mice, and birds etc etc. Many brought back alive as a trophy to try to teach the higher primate chimp owner how to kill a small animal.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t spend a lot of time not moving. I only get on the sofa, really, when my partner is in town. She’s asleep at the moment. Dunhill is taking every second of couch time he can. Other cat is on the other side, but not quite close enough to me to not be “not in contact.”*

3C785639-25F6-4BBB-B5CE-C440A1640B7C.jpeg

EE857A4C-7E18-4285-AC6B-FC41C2A5048F.jpeg
*time not quite right between the pics because I had to let Silver settle in. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 4

Craig; I just saw your post. I’m so sorry. But that’s a pretty amazing cat life. Boy, I sure hope to go from functional, if ancient, to gone that quickly, when my time comes. Your feline family was/is/will be very lucky to have you as their valet. Always. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...