Kitty Talk

Dusty Chalk

Dunhill joined me for a movie, last night, after I turned on the space heater.

Coraline, if anybody was interested (Field of Dreams, which I had never seen, was first. It was delightful, but Dunhill didn’t join for that).

It wasn’t Bossa Nova, so Silver couldn’t be bothered. She loves Bossa Nova (especially when it’s a Stan Getz video; good taste) and ignores almost anything else. She stares intently and keeps perfect time with her ears (this is not a joke) to Bossa Nova music. I have video evidence.

C5C87438-6ABA-496B-B157-90AD463AA71B.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

My new small obsession: Fat Cat Art.  A HS FB friend followed this woman's page, she has a fat cat and is a painter (or does photoshopping well).  She injects her cat into various scenes and famous paintings.

Sadly, her cat (Zarathustra) just passed recently.  But she's amazing and fun with her work, even some YouTube videos that had me chucking tons.

I especially liked this because we used to have a fat orange cat named SOTA.  Some of you may remember a multi-page thread around 2006 on H-F where SOTA was photoshopped to hell and back.  He became known as The Rambo Bose Kitty, and had his 15 minutes of cat fame.

Anyway, fun to browse:  https://fatcatart.com/?lang=en

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dunhill has been having urinary incontinence issues the last few days. Going to the vet tomorrow (wanted today, but I had to deal with my mother this afternoon; her dementia has progressed to where I’ll have to force the issue sooner rather than later).

Push comes to shove I’ll wash his butt three times a day and I’ll spread newspapers on the floor (I’ll have to start buying newspapers), but I don’t think he’s a fan of it either. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Sad 7

I had no idea your mum had dementia, Jacob. It is much rougher on family than it is for those with the condition. Carole's dad went that way. He was a Fire Commander. But dementia is no respecter of what you did in working life.

And Dunhill - although that is fixable with antibiotics or some such.

So sorry for your troubles.

Thanks guys. She’s 80, which is certainly up there. She started showing  signs about four years ago. Well, she had had shown signs before, but that is when she failed her first neurological test (the draw the clock one, and she failed it in the most stereotypical “early signs of dementia way,” with all of the numbers bunched up on one side), and it has slowly progressed.

It’s much worse at night, of course, and she has been in a great deal of pain due to her hip (replacement scheduled for March, but we’ll see), which hasn’t helped things, but it has progressed to the point where in bad days she’s not really able to take care of herself. But that’s not every day. It may not even be most days. But it’s too many for my comfort with her living independently, even just living 15 minutes away from me.

Yesterday was one of the less good days. I did get her to eat, at least, but it’s sad when you use the same strategy with your mother that you do with your partner’s picky 8 year old: “one more half a ravioli and then you can be done.”

Dunhill is just old, and his hips hurt too. Maybe he can’t reliably get to and into the boxes. I know he is not doing it on purpose, and he seems to do his best to get to a box. I may have to break down and put one in my bedroom (that’s the location I’ve been resisting). We’ll see what the vet says. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Sad 2

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

Also very sorry to hear about your kitty. For Dunhill, a litter box with low sides may help. They make them for rabbits. We had one for an elderly cat and it helped a lot. Additionally, there are some new treatments on the horizon for arthritis pain in cats: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2022/01/14/cat-arthritis-fda-approves-groundbreaking-drug-pain-management/6524588001/

• Like 3