Kitty Talk

Dusty Chalk

Yes, I realize that.

EDIT: Or rather, I should say, I realized that, as soon as I posted. But I still wanted to earmark the day while I thought of it. Was also looking for the name of the Pipolino toy, which at this point I need to get for Bobby, so that he will stop spending so much energy trying to dominate Missy. He and Luvbug never integrated, he would just terrorize her...without the committing suicide part, so she's locked in the master bedroom 24/7, which she is perfectly content with...mostly.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

• 3 months later...

Hey, look at my harbls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4010[/ATTACH]

HEY, LOOK AT MY HARBLS.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4011[/ATTACH]

OH, THAT'S RIGHT, YOU CAN'T!!!1! MARK MY WORDS, I WILL (eventually) MAKE YOU PAY FOR THAT!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4009[/ATTACH]

Maybe later, after you finish scratching me, which will be ... nevar!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4008[/ATTACH]

post-65-12951158630039_thumb.jpg

post-65-12951158632964_thumb.jpg

post-65-1295115863603_thumb.jpg

post-65-12951158638629_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Voluntary recall on Wellness canned cat food

A letter from the CEO

Anyone know anything about this? Specifically, I've been deliberately feeding Bobby Wellness Core, a mix of the poultry varieties formula, and the fish varieties formula, because it seemed not to make him so "spastic", as the regular Wellness canned cat food. I attributed this to thinking there was something in the non-Core that he had a sensitivity to, and this was some sort of "reaction". In hindsight, it may well be thiamine malnutrition. I'm tempted to just keep feeding it to him. My question is, are there any long term bad side effects? I'm kind of hoping there aren't -- I mean, he still bounces off the walls, he just bounces off the walls less.

But I'm not going to take any chances. If I don't hear a reasonable explanation why this isn't bad for him, I'll make sure to return the cans I got that are within the purview of the recall, and put him on the good stuff. Spasticness or no.

Science Diet is good stuff, but I was happy with the price to performance ratio of Wellness & Wellness Core. The primary criteria I was taught was look at the first couple ingredients on the ingredients list. If the first ingredient is "chicken", that's a good thing. "Chicken meal" is a good second choice (in the wild, they'd probably eat the feathers and whatnot then spit them out, so chicken meal is probably more comparable to what they'd eat in the real world), and anything else -- especially filler materials -- would be inferior, of course.

I think they're doing the right thing, so I'll stay with them for now (unlike Iams, which I didn't, because it took them so long to come out with product after their recall that I ended up switching, and ended up being too lazy to switch back).

Wellness is going to replace my cans, but I still feel terribly "un-green" throwing the old ones out -- anyone know whether or not I should donate them to a local shelter? My reasoning is, shelters end up running out of food a lot, so it's better than starving, but if it's really bad for them, then I won't. I'll probably just take it to them, and let them make the decision.

Good idea to give to a shelter.....I think they'd take whatever you're willing to give.

For our cats, I give them California Natural dry food....best I've tried for them. They would occasionally toss kitty cookies with some of the other brands.

EDIT: just saw the post on weight for cats :blink:

My cat SOTA (named after the turntable manufacturer, and famous as the "Rambo Bose Kitty" on Head-Fi) peaked at just over 31 pounds! 450+ human pounds? ? ? ? ?

Edited by skullguise

We are putting the coupons in the mail today for free cans to replace the cans that have been recalled. Please dispose the recalled product and do not donate this. Since these product might contain less than adequate levels of thiamine (also known as Vitamin B1), we recommend not to donate this.
Still haven't decided for myself. I mean, it's not like they can stop me. I've been unknowingly feeding my cats the recalled food for months, and they are not showing any of the symptoms described. I've contacted the shelter to see if they'll take it, but I want them to know, because I can see how it might be a concern with recent rescues, where the nuitritional state of the cat may not be known. I was also thinking of donating an equivalent amount of non-recalled food (which kind of renders moot the coupon), just so the shelter could mix it up.

• 1 month later...

kitty - FOUND. cute but holy shit is it annoying! every 2 hours mE WMEW MEW ME WMEW. based on pictures and internet research i am guessing it is about 5 weeks old

could it be a stray? it was found outside. it warmed up to people in about a day and started playing. his attempts to pounce are cute and awkward. would only drink milk, but now will eat wet cat food, but not hard food. does not understand the concept of drinking water.

also, he does crap in a litter box, and even meowed to be let out of the carrier he was sleeping in to use it.

5689177723_bf33077e72_z.jpg

kitty by headamp83, on Flickr

Edited by justin

could it be a stray? it was found outside.
Dude, that's the definition of stray. No, srsly, cats don't need much training, and if it's really young, it's probably naturally overly trusting of humans.

And quit feeding it milk, it's probably lactose intolerant, and all the mewling means, "I have a tummy ache!"

And congrats! Kittens are cute. If only they'd stay that way...

And if anyone should name their cat, "buyer's remorse" (aka Babu), you should. (In honor of the most recent episode of Archer on Hulu.)

yeah, the milk was just because it refused to eat anything else except milk out of a hand. it's eating wet cat food now. he does have teeth, so it's old enough for regular food.

i just wasn't 100% sure he's a stray because he's very clean

Edited by justin

He does sound overly civilized for a stray. I would keep an eye out for postings in the neighborhood. If he's that young, he might be from a litter, in which case he may not be missed, and I wouldn't worry too much about keeping him.

Is that you in the background? As Justine, of course.