Sonic Studio 302 (aka Metric Halo ULN-2)

jp11801

Okay I got the thing out of the box and I am working to set it up. I assume I will use the basic mixer or do I need to do a custom mixer to set it up for firewire input, analog out and aes/ebu pass through?

I will keep digging through but if someone has an easy answer I would appreciate it.

Okay I got the thing out of the box and I am working to set it up. I assume I will use the basic mixer or do I need to do a custom mixer to set it up for firewire input, analog out and aes/ebu pass through?

I will keep digging through but if someone has an easy answer I would appreciate it.

PM JP#s

• 3 weeks later...

at some point Al and I need to compare the sonic studio 302 (ULN-2) to the Amarra 4 (ULN-8). While I think the 8 will best the 2 in all areas I think it might be shades or grey as opposed to black and white. I am looking for a reason thought to go ULN-8 at some point.

I get the apprehension for those that will use it just as a dac but for those with vinyl these make really nice phono pre amps and can also serve as a system pre amp.

I got to spend a little bit of time comparing the two and I am now very tempted to upgrade. The ULN-8 would appear to me to be a very special DAC.

Although there is the Berkley Alpha that I want to buy also. Need to sell a few of the losers off to fund some more purchases.

This DAC stuff is way too difficult.

I have to think the ULN-8 is something special because I already spent top dollar for mine in the guise of the Amarra Model 4. Not telling you to skip the comparison with the Alpha DAC, but I think the Model 4 was definitely the superior and better sounding DAC and does tons of stuff the Alpha doesn't do.

This weekend we should be able to at least start the 302 vs. 4 throw-down. Let's get ready to rumble!

I got to spend a little bit of time comparing the two and I am now very tempted to upgrade. The ULN-8 would appear to me to be a very special DAC.

Although there is the Berkley Alpha that I want to buy also. Need to sell a few of the losers off to fund some more purchases.

This DAC stuff is way too difficult.

Does this mean the PS Audio is getting the boot?