Sonic Studio 302 (aka Metric Halo ULN-2)

jp11801

• 1 month later...

Well I have achieved partial success with the ULN-8. Most of my miss starts can be attributed to my ignorance of pro audio and sound engineers protocols, nonetheless what I am hearing so far is very promising. Unfortunately for now the impressions are only from the headphone jacks since I cannot get any signal out of the DB-25 analog port to my mono blocks. The music I am hearing is damn good and will only get better when I can send them through my speakers and sub.First and very preliminary impressions are very large yet realistic sound stage, very fast and accurate dynamics. currently I am listening to Friday Night in San Francisco [Original recording remastered] of Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and this is the best I have heard of this CD yet. The dynamics and decay of the guitar seems to me to be pretty much spot on. Every Saturday I take my son to guitar lessons where I am able to hear a lot of "amateur" acoustical guitarists playing classical pieces and I can say this ULN-8 seems to reproduce the music as if it is live. Very surprising and is much much more than I ever hoped for. Thanks Al and John this is a real find and a sick deal given the price to quality relationship.

I had a chance to briefly listen to the ULN-2 last fall at a meet, and really liked what I heard. Still, the dependency on Mac-centric software to control things as simple as changing digital inputs (at least that's what I glean from the user manual) unfortunately makes me pause. Current lack of Windows support is doesn't help.

Wondering how the ULN-2 is holding up months later, and against other DACs y'all have had to compare?

I will compare it to the PWD this weekend. I'm not expecting the PWD to blow it away as the ULN-2 is very good. Obviously, since I have it already the mac only issue and input issues are not problems for me. Where I am certain the PWD will come out on top is in feature present and in the future (Bridge). Both can be used as a preamp but the PWD has a remote. The PWD offers balanced output 24/192. You to move up the Sonic Studio/Metric Halo line to get those features. The ULN-2 offers the ability to use it as a phono preamp and has a decent enough headphone out, that can be a bit bright with certain headphones.

Many phono preamps are somewhat noisy. It's when the noise is more than you are willing to accept that it's a problem. Mine became noiser after I moved stuff around and added to my system. Jp's noise level is lower and acceptable. I just no longer want to deal with the problem any longer and don't necessarily blame the ULN-2 for the problem. You still need a mac. Jp can explain how the RIAA is done as he merely sent me a file that I use.

• 5 months later...

Well this thread and the recent Stereophile article on the Pure Vinyl software got me intrigued about replacing my Modwright Transporter with a ULN-2. I also wanted to use the ULN-2 as a phono pre. I started experimenting needle drops with an old Egosys Waveterminal USB ADC/DAC I had laying around and downloaded the Pure Vinyl software demo. The results were that while the sound wasn't as good as my Manley Steelhead I just sold, it was better than the modified Fisher 400 I was using as a phono pre. Based on this test I ordered a ULN-2 Expanded with 2d card on a 30 day trial and started using it yesterday. So far I can't really tell the difference between the Transporter and the ULN-2 playing 16/44 flac's. I can't test the phono pre capabilities until I get some more TRS to RCA adapters. I'm still unclear if I need the DSP license to do RIAA equalization so if anyone can help me with that I would appreciate it.

I figured out the RIAA equilization in the Mixer Console. I didn't have to buy the DSP license. I decided to keep my Live! MC-10 Step-Up Transformer in between my Rega turntable and the ULN-2. This is a really great phono preamp with the added ability to make some nice 24/96 recordings of my albums very easily. I still can't tell the difference between the Modwright Transporter and the ULN-2 when used as a DAC. I'm listening primarily through the BHSE and 4070's while I evaluate this thing.

• 1 month later...

I think the interest in the ULN-2 has died here but I'll provide this update. I bought a new turntable even though I was perfectly happy with the Rega P25 and Denon 103R. I found a Pro-ject RM10 with a Grado LO Sonata for $1400 locally. Not a huge step up but the RM10 is so solid I could polka right next to it and the record would not skip. The sound improved somewhat with the new setup but I still had some slight hum issues through the ULN-2. I also had some cartridge loading concerns and was looking at solutions including soldering the appropriate resistors on the XLR to RCA adaptors to accommodate the correct loading for the Grado. Eventually I bought a Channel D Seta Nano phono preamp that provides configurable cartridge loading and XLR output jacks without RIAA equalization. Immediately the hum was gone and the sound was greatly improved. The top end is extended and I can really hear/feel the bass through speakers. I'm still playing with this setup but like where it's heading.

• 11 months later...

I just got hold of a ULN-2 sans upgrade and optical ports and I understand why you guys love the sound. Unfortunately the S/PDIF input is flakey so I'm using a Neutrik AES to S/PDIF adaptor, but that is working fine. Apart from the hassle of changing the settings every time I want to, say, switch which input I use, it was a great buy at $700. Hopefully I can make use of the inputs at some stage.

While the headphone out doesn't sound so great with LCD-2s (hardly a type of headphones they could have anticipated) with the Stacker the whole rig is glorious if a bit more on the smooth and mellow side of things compared to my rig.

You can save settings to the presets on the front of the unit which can make things a bit quicker.

What is flaky with the SPDIF input?

Thanks for that tip. I was wondering what they were for and if they were related to the presets menu.

The S/PDIF input, if used, cuts in and out rapidly during playback.

• 2 months later...

So what is the verdict on this DAC? Still getting a lot of love?

I want to get a new source for the desktop setup: Mac -> Pico DAC -> GS-1 -> whatever. I had the Parasound 1500 but it took up to much space. The Pico is a good DAC and I am not sure if I buy a random DAC that it is going to be all that much better than it. Seems like there is a lot of love for the ULN-2 though.

Is the firewire going to work with Thunderbolt? My MBP currently has firewire but I am not so sure that will be the case in the future. Also, the Air doesn't have firewire.

Edited by shellylh

The only thing I am worried about the Apogee is background noise. I remember that the One had a bit of noise. Not sure if that was from the headphone output or...

How black is the background on the ULN-2? Could I use it with GS-1 and JH13 with a perfectly quiet background?

Also, where do you get a pair of decent TRS -> RCA cables? I didn't see any at BJC.

I love my ULN-2. The FireWire connection has worked flawlessly once I figured out how to correctly route the signal between the various inputs and outputs. I initially had it connected via coax SPDIF with a squeezebox receiver as source. Sounded comparable to using the MAC Mini and FireWire but there was never a direct comparison so take that with a grain of salt. I will be purchasing an Amarra 4/SS 304/MH LIO-8 in the next couple of months so this will be available for audition and maybe for sale.

I have no background noise on either the BA with any of my dynamics or the BHSE with either the Omega or OII. Not exactly the JH-13 but I have not really felt limited by my source.

I believe Merkertek has TRS to RCA cables. I have an extra set of TRS to XLR but that is not particularly helpful.

Edited by morphsci

I'd like to try one as well. What do they go for on the used market?

I've gotten good TRS to RCA cables for my test setup from some Ebay sellers. I mean good as in they measure below the noise floor of my test gear.

Canare, Belden, etc. wire is what they use. If you want specific recommendations, I can find some for ya.

If you want something that your audiophile friends won't make fun of, I'd recommend DH Labs wire and cable. In fact, I had some made up at Moon Audio for just about what it would have cost me to do it myself.

The only thing I am worried about the Apogee is background noise. I remember that the One had a bit of noise. Not sure if that was from the headphone output or...

How black is the background on the ULN-2? Could I use it with GS-1 and JH13 with a perfectly quiet background?

Also, where do you get a pair of decent TRS -> RCA cables? I didn't see any at BJC.

The original Duet also had hiss with IEM, but it wasn't too severe although easily noticed.

You might consider http://www.sweetwate...e/detail/DKQR5/

or https://eventhorizon...roducts_id=3050

I have had good results with both.

Oh, and I think you want a TS to RCA cable because TRS is a balanced connector and RCA is unbalanced.

Edited by Augsburger