Omega II or HD800

arnesto

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This tread has got me thinking about the Omega II.

Just a question, if I was to order one, I would want to get the Omega II MKII model with 007tII amp.

Since I live in the USA, I believe the amp will be delivered with the Japanese 100v standard. Does Stax have a USA model that is 120v?

The other question is, the Stax distributor is pretty expensive, it there another way to get the Omega MKII model and not pay retail.

With these type of problems, I may just go for the HD800 to avoid the headache.

I compared the HD800 with the above amps to my Stax O2 Mk1 with maxed Woo GES and feel that the Stax rig is a little more refined and mellow or laid back and relaxing while the HD800 rig is a little more dynamic and energetic, and a little more forward and aggressive but in a good way. The O2 Mk1 soundstage seems deeper, while the HD800 seems wider, but both have good imaging and positioning and definition of instruments in the soundstage. The HD800 remind me a little of my HE60. I do think the HD800 have more bass impact and a more solid and grounded image than the HE60.

My new EC ZDT amp is noticeably better with the 4-pin XLR HD800 than my old WA6 with HD800 and single ended adapter. Even single ended the ZDT is more spacious with better separation. The WA22 prototype is very comparable to the ZDT with SE and balanced HD800, HD600 and SE HF-2. But the ZDT pulls ahead with my K1000. The WA22 can give plenty of volume with the K1000 but it doesn't control the bass detail nearly as well, regardless of the impedance switch being set for high or low.

So, the ZDT is the first amp to make my 4-pin XLR K1000 sound like they are worth keeping. But, my HD800 still have better speed, detail, and transparency. I traded my first pair of O2 Mk1 for these K1000 in Feb, then bought another Mk1 in March when I didn't like the K1000, but I ordered the ZDT for the K1000 just in case it really was an amp issue.

In the end, I could not part with my HD800, O2 Mk1, K1000 or HE60 - I like them all. A couple of days ago I was offered $2500 for my fully refurbished HE60 with Stax plug (and I keep the HEV70), but I just don't think I can bring myself to do it. (my HE60 got new drivers, o-rings, ear pads and headband pad last summer)

Any Stax II model is export so if you were to buy from Japan then they are A models. There is no difference besides the A models only being available in silver and being wired for 100v operation. That can be changed though with a bit of soldering. It's well worth it for the huge savings.

I don't see HE60 prices dropping any time soon. I really wish I'd snatched a set when they were selling for less than a grand. :( Oh well, 20:20 hindsight and all that.

I don't understand why. From most impressions, it would seem the HD800 is like the 60 but better in some areas. In the long run, I'd imagine the HE-60s might be preferred by some. I know the newness of the 800s seem to have caused some to go overboard. Yes, I'm thinking out loud and not really making sense. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

In a way, I hope you're right. I would like to see the non production cans hold their value regardless of the new stuff that comes out.

I don't understand why.

Regardless of the comparisons made the rarity of the HE60 isn't going to change and as long as they remain well regarded (which I don't see changing) I see no reason to think that their "value" will change substantially. The only thing I can see changing it would be if Senn introduced a better, similarly priced (~$2k) stat headphone.

I compared the HD800 with the above amps to my Stax O2 Mk1 with maxed Woo GES and feel that the Stax rig is a little more refined and mellow or laid back and relaxing while the HD800 rig is a little more dynamic and energetic, and a little more forward and aggressive but in a good way. The O2 Mk1 soundstage seems deeper, while the HD800 seems wider, but both have good imaging and positioning and definition of instruments in the soundstage. The HD800 remind me a little of my HE60. I do think the HD800 have more bass impact and a more solid and grounded image than the HE60.

My new EC ZDT amp is noticeably better with the 4-pin XLR HD800 than my old WA6 with HD800 and single ended adapter. Even single ended the ZDT is more spacious with better separation. The WA22 prototype is very comparable to the ZDT with SE and balanced HD800, HD600 and SE HF-2. But the ZDT pulls ahead with my K1000. The WA22 can give plenty of volume with the K1000 but it doesn't control the bass detail nearly as well, regardless of the impedance switch being set for high or low.

So, the ZDT is the first amp to make my 4-pin XLR K1000 sound like they are worth keeping. But, my HD800 still have better speed, detail, and transparency. I traded my first pair of O2 Mk1 for these K1000 in Feb, then bought another Mk1 in March when I didn't like the K1000, but I ordered the ZDT for the K1000 just in case it really was an amp issue.

In the end, I could not part with my HD800, O2 Mk1, K1000 or HE60 - I like them all. A couple of days ago I was offered $2500 for my fully refurbished HE60 with Stax plug (and I keep the HEV70), but I just don't think I can bring myself to do it. (my HE60 got new drivers, o-rings, ear pads and headband pad last summer)

You need a better amp with the SR-007. The difference between KGSS and GES was pretty big to me.

Which one did you like better? Would you elaborate those differences a bit, please?

Antonio it was meet conditions so I don't want to post much detail, but the KGSS has far better control. The SR-007 was anything, but laid back. A few other attendees thought the same.