Omega II or HD800

arnesto

At Canjam I listened a lot to both the O2 and the HD800. Each out of premier amps - the O2 out of THE COOTER & BHSE, HD800 out of TTVJ 307a. For my money, I'd take the the O2 10 times out of 10. Don't get me wrong, the 800 sounded fine...it just didn't excite me. There was no magic there. OTOH, I wanted to have an electrostat amp implanted in my back so I could have the O2 with we everywhere I went for the rest of my life.

youngfrank20.jpeg

Hump? What hump?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm implanted ESP amps... the new frontier for RSA now that nobody has been stupid enough to buy the A-10? :D

I'd love to build one of Franks amps but the concept of a SE solid state amp with a transformer on the back came up which would be just too cool. :)

So far, I have to agree. I've owned both versions of the Omega II and sold them (albeit I've only heard them with the 007t, the 727, and the ES1). The HD800 is a better-sounding headphone and is a keeper.

The more interesting question to me is HD800 or HE60 + good amp? There is just something magical about the Baby Orpheus that I can't let go of.

You should have been at the Colorado meet last weekend, you missed a good opportunity to achieve that goal. BTW, Didn't you sell me your O2 Mk2 last year?

You fucking guys. That double dose just slammed my funny bone for some reason, while eating; now have a tiny bit of guffaw-induced meatloaf lodged in my right sinus.

Best B&W movie, ever.

youngfrank20.jpeg

Hump? What hump?

If it's the MkIIs, then it's a mid-back hump.

I kill me!

• 3 weeks later...

I received my HD800 yesterday. Maybe I'll consider electrostatics later.

So far I am pleased with my new headphones. My older headphones which are the HD600 are still good, but the HD800 are better.

To me the, HD600 looked cheap, primarily plastic.

The HD800 really look like a first rate headphone.

When I was listening to my CDs last night, I thought I heard something I never heard before on my CD. Like a buzzing sound in a song. When I listed to the song again with my HD600, the sound was still there, but with a different tonal presenation. Just a slight variation to the presentation brings the sound up to the front, where in my old headphones it make the sound blend into the background.

Another note worthy thing, I was supposed to sign when I received the package. But I wasn't home so the UPS man dropped the box into my backyard over a 6 foot fence. The headphones weren't damaged, but the flight box in comes in has a crushed corner. I guess it is something to get bothered about. But oh well, nothing can be done about it now.

Another note worthy thing, I was supposed to sign when I received the package. But I wasn't home so the UPS man dropped the box into my backyard over a 6 foot fence. The headphones weren't damaged, but the flight box in comes in has a crushed corner. I guess it is something to get bothered about. But oh well, nothing can be done about it now.

The box *is* available as a spare part:

Part # 532037 - Case HD 800

So you could try claiming for a replacement.

Hi arnesto,

The above I couldn't believe (what is wrong with people:mad:.)

You must have been a little vexed at the time of finding this in your back yard in this manner.

Everything that you have said comparing the 600's to the 800's is what I found with my HD800's and am very pleased with this refinement. I would never get rid of my 600's though, have upgraded the cables and should be receiving new headband padding within the next couple of weeks.

Have you signed up for your personalised certificate by registering your serial number on Sennheiser site.?

Sincere Regards

:D

Hi arnesto,

The above I couldn't believe (what is wrong with people:mad:.)

You must have been a little vexed at the time of finding this in your back yard in this manner.

Everything that you have said comparing the 600's to the 800's is what I found with my HD800's and am very pleased with this refinement. I would never get rid of my 600's though, have upgraded the cables and should be receiving new headband padding within the next couple of weeks.

Have you signed up for your personalised certificate by registering your serial number on Sennheiser site.?

Sincere Regards

:D

I contacted the company I bought the headphones from and they said that other people complained about this before. They said the last guy who complained, they had an extra flight box around, so they mailed it to him.

Not sure if they are going to mail me one, but I don't know what I will do with the one with the damaged corner. Since it still is functional and brand new.

What do you prefer most about the 800? While I prefer the O2, I think the HD 800 is a pretty terrific dynamic headphone.

To be perfectly honest, I liked the HE60s more than the OII. The HD800 is a little brighter, a little more punchy, and sounds more like real live music. The OII always seemed a little off, and a little too smooth (not a bad thing, just not how I perceive music). I was a semi-professional trumpet player, and the tone of the trumpet is just a little more accurate with the HD800 than the OII, a little edgier, a little more dynamic.

BUT . . . I've only heard the OII with the ES1, the 717, and the 727. My understanding is that the Blue Hawaii does a lot for them, so who knows.

I'm just waiting for ear problems to subside until I can use IEMs again, at least something other than soft foamies. After that it's JH13 city, big time. Would have gotten them a month ago if not for that.

I really hope that it's everything it's cracked up to be, then maybe I can get rid of most of my stash. I do want to mess around with the ESP950 for a while though. Don't know why, but I have an irrational desire to get my hands on a set. The ESP950 is calling me...

I do want to mess around with the ESP950 for a while though. Don't know why, but I have an irrational desire to get my hands on a set. The ESP950 is calling me...

Dew eet..ESP950 + SRM1 is an amazing combo. These phones do scale really well.