Grado HF-2 Impressions Thread

tkam

Are on those the grills black or is it a light effect in the pic?

I was waiting for that question to appear on HF as "Saw an HF2 with black grills that looked great," followed by the ensuing shit storm. Not by you though, Torpedo; but by some other too-casual observer.

I also actually-sorta looked forward to the topic implosion with wicked sadistic glee. Was that naughty?

ETA - I do not think there is anything at all about the HF2 that annoys me. It's a Grado design; what I expected functionally speaking. Adjusts easily; stays where it's adjusted. I like the cable to boot.

Edited by drp
Opinion

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF2 w/ Luxman P200

I have the Luxman on loan from TTVJ for a few days. Gave it a spin against the TTVJ FET-A last night and zomg! The P200 is even moar better than the FET-A. The experience was insanely head-pelting, it was like the music was attacking me from all directions! I spun Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, and Alison Krauss, and all were amazing. Even more clarity overall than the FET-A and just as fast, if not faster (though I think it was faster). The P200 gave the HF2 a definite kick in the pants, it was sweet. The HF2 zinged, flashed, and sparked like no other! Though I'd also add that the P200 seemed to be significantly treble-tilted and may induce fatigue for people who don't like treble. I like treble myself so I loved it. The only major downside of the P200 with the HF2 is the too-high gain. The amp would appear to favor high-impedance headphones for this reason.

I'll be contributing some more in-depth P200 impressions in a separate thread later on with my other headphones - Audio-Technica AD2000, Grado HP1000, Qualia, and maybe the K701. I already like the amp a lot, it packs a punch. I have no idea what IPodPJ wouldn't like about it (IIRC, he wrote on HF he thought the amp wasn't that good). Out of the amps I've heard with the HF2 with so far (HeadAmp AE-2, PPA, and now the FET-A and P200), I think the Luxman is the best pairing!

HF2 w/ Luxman P200

I have the Luxman on loan from TTVJ for a few days. Gave it a spin against the TTVJ FET-A last night and zomg! The P200 is even moar better than the FET-A. The experience was insanely head-pelting, it was like the music was attacking me from all directions! I spun Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, and Alison Krauss, and all were amazing. Even more clarity overall than the FET-A and just as fast, if not faster (though I think it was faster). The P200 gave the HF2 a definite kick in the pants, it was sweet. The HF2 zinged, flashed, and sparked like no other! Though I'd also add that the P200 seemed to be significantly treble-tilted and may induce fatigue for people who don't like treble. I like treble myself so I loved it. The only major downside of the P200 with the HF2 is the too-high gain. The amp would appear to favor high-impedance headphones for this reason.

I'll be contributing some more in-depth P200 impressions in a separate thread later on with my other headphones - Audio-Technica AD2000, Grado HP1000, Qualia, and maybe the K701. I already like the amp a lot, it packs a punch. I have no idea what IPodPJ wouldn't like about it (IIRC, he wrote on HF he thought the amp wasn't that good). Out of the amps I've heard with the HF2 with so far (HeadAmp AE-2, PPA, and now the FET-A and P200), I think the Luxman is the best pairing!

You should have tried them on the ZDT which is a truely impressive pairing. Too bad your HF-2 are for sale.

They were damn near universally loved by this weekend's crew. I don't know why Grado can only do special edition cans well but I find nearly their entire range of current production cans utterly forgettable but both the modded HF-1s and stock HF-2s are superb in my book. They're hardly perfect but what flaws they do have are forgivable.

As I understand John Grado voices his headphones listening to vinyl, that's the reason. I think the special editions are voiced a bit more for digital.

Loving my hf2's, now I really don't know what amp to get for them.

The source I have now is a TC Electronic Konnekt Live (detail oriented source). It's integrated headphone amp has no chance to drive Grados well. It's too high impedance, too powerfull, no bass control, kinda bright (yes, with hf2's). I've put maybe 20 hours of burn-in in them, no change so far.

My amp short-list: CEC HD53N (and balancing the hf2's), Gilmore Dynamic V2 (if I can find one), Berning MicroZotl (if I can find one).

So Grados have always been special to me with regards to electric guitar. I'm listening to the HF-2 now at extremely low volume, and even this quiet I can't believe how awesome the guitar solos on Drive-By Truckers' "The Dirty South" sound. Pure Grado midrange crunchy radness.

I am really, really liking the HF2s out of the Apogee Duet. I'm probably in the honeymoon period now, so I don't trust myself with the details, but I think they're definitely keepers and way more balanced than I thought I'd be getting from a John Grado.

They haven't spent much time offa my noggin since their arrival.

Build quality is nice and solid and not an excess of glue on mine, but the metal housings have a few dings on them, as expected. Headband has one small and shallow scratch on the top, and the silk over the grills is a little frayed at the edges. Still, the overall appearance is solid and from a foot away they are gorgeous. Even my girlfriend thinks they're attractive, and she's usually driven fairly crazy by aesthetic deficiencies.

I think I've already crossed the threshold from "jesus, Grados hurt like fuck" to "hey, these are fairly comfortable now."

Just got mine. Listened only for 3 minutes before putting them down for burn in. Its been a while since I used bowl pads, but I remember them being more angular. I like the new "flatter" bowl pads.

I'm hoping for a lot of improvement during burn-in. Female vocals (Ride of Valkyries, from von Karajan's Wagner cycle) is very shouty compared to the silky smooth HP-2. Bass is not as even or rounded as well (With or without you). It may go a bit deeper. Also seems to sound harsh at higher volume - I have a habit of listening louder when trying out new gear. Anyway, waaay too early to tell.

Just got mine. Listened only for 3 minutes before putting them down for burn in. Its been a while since I used bowl pads, but I remember them being more angular. I like the new "flatter" bowl pads.

I'm hoping for a lot of improvement during burn-in. Female vocals (Ride of Valkyries, from von Karajan's Wagner cycle) is very shouty compared to the silky smooth HP-2. Bass is not as even or rounded as well (With or without you). It may go a bit deeper. Also seems to sound harsh at higher volume - I have a habit of listening louder when trying out new gear. Anyway, waaay too early to tell.

If you don't like it now, it's unlikely that you'll love it after burn-in. On the plus side, you'll be able to sell it for $600.

Beethoven String Quartet Op 131, Takacs Quartet.

Like the RS1, the HF2 really excels with string quartets. Violins sound really sweet and cellos have realllly nice body. Strings also sound a bit sharper with more bite / growl (in comparison with HP2). Lots of fun. One thing that the HP2 does better is the pointicello passage (end of 5th movement) sounds more crystalline pure and delicate. I still prefer the HP2 even for string quartets.