Grado HF-2 Impressions Thread

tkam

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like HF-1s from the Compass personally, didn't have enough bass or punch. I'll do a HF-1 vs HF-2 vs Symphones Magnum with everything I can lay my hands on though when I have time.

Turned out I had forgotten my CC expired after I placed my order with TTVJ btw. so my HF-2s are finally on their way to me now.

I guess I'm committing a heresy for listening to Rihanna! :D

@Currawong

Did you finally manage to sort things out with your HF2 order?

Compass is unfortunately the only thing I have at the moment. I wish I can upgrade but my current thesis is seriously sucking the life out of me.

@Hopstretch

Not sure if want...

I guess I'm committing a heresy for listening to Rihanna! :D

@Currawong

Did you finally manage to sort things out with your HF2 order?

Compass is unfortunately the only thing I have at the moment. I wish I can upgrade but my current thesis is seriously sucking the life out of me.

@Hopstretch

Not sure if want...

Yeah, they are on their way, finally. My sympathies regarding the thesis, they are hellish things. My suggestion would be to DIY a headamp that known to be a good match with Grados and use the Compass as a DAC, which it is reasonable enough as. Though, of course, DIY can suck plenty of time and patience.

Yeah, they are on their way, finally. My sympathies regarding the thesis, they are hellish things. My suggestion would be to DIY a headamp that known to be a good match with Grados and use the Compass as a DAC, which it is reasonable enough as. Though, of course, DIY can suck plenty of time and patience.

Indeed. Well, at least the HF2 is a good writing companion in these long, windy nights. Thick and engaging, just the way I like it. :)

DIY is probably the way to go and I'm sure that the M^3 will be my next amp unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Indeed. Well, at least the HF2 is a good writing companion in these long, windy nights. Thick and engaging, just the way I like it. :)

DIY is probably the way to go and I'm sure that the M^3 will be my next amp unless someone can convince me otherwise.

After all my research, I'm relatively certain it will be mine too (with Sigma 11 power)...

I broke out the Compass and my opamp collection for some experimentation with the HF-2, since the little grabber was fast asleep and I could scatter small and swallow-able components around. The HF-2s, not having the peaky treble of the HF-1s (that, IMO, demands a good amp) seem to be ok with the Compass. I've settled on a pair of OP27G in a browndog for glorious mids for casual listening at the computer.

The loose bass is starting to tighten on my pair after a night of pink noise and some time listening. Now for the mids and treble to come good. There are hints of awesome potential in there. The timing for their arrival was a bit off yoo, as I'd just nailed the HD-800s to sound the way I wanted with my DIY OCCC cable.

I broke out the Compass and my opamp collection for some experimentation with the HF-2, since the little grabber was fast asleep and I could scatter small and swallow-able components around. The HF-2s, not having the peaky treble of the HF-1s (that, IMO, demands a good amp) seem to be ok with the Compass. I've settled on a pair of OP27G in a browndog for glorious mids for casual listening at the computer.

How does the OP27G compare with the HDAMS? It's getting hard to listen to HDAMS other than the Earth for me because it reproduces the tone and dynamics most accurately compared to the others. Too bad Compass has this slight peakiness/screechiness that can get tiresome after a while. I notice that it's not the fault of my cans because it's present in all of them.

The HF2 still has a little bit too much midbass for my liking but I guess I had been spoiled with the very tight bass of my old modded D2000.

How does the OP27G compare with the HDAMS? It's getting hard to listen to HDAMS other than the Earth for me because it reproduces the tone and dynamics most accurately compared to the others. Too bad Compass has this slight peakiness/screechiness that can get tiresome after a while. I notice that it's not the fault of my cans because it's present in all of them.

It's rather like the Sun, but with better mids (or a 627 without the roll-off), but with possibly a bit less overall detail than any of the HDAMs. Agreed about the Earth -- Kingwa was going to have the Moon the default HDAM, but we talked him out of it for that very reason, though it's great if you want a kind of "more soundstage"-like EQ on the music.

I can't find other than the OP27A/C online any more, by the way. I think there is/was an OP27E as well. Majkel mentioned it in his HDAM review on the other site. I just happened across them in the local electronics hobby store.

I'm planning to take the Grados, Symphones and HD-800s to Elekit later this month for a "factory tour" and some listening. I really want to hear what the HF-2s are like on a good tube amp, so here's hoping the Elekit is good.

It's rather like the Sun, but with better mids (or a 627 without the roll-off), but with possibly a bit less overall detail than any of the HDAMs. Agreed about the Earth -- Kingwa was going to have the Moon the default HDAM, but we talked him out of it for that very reason, though it's great if you want a kind of "more soundstage"-like EQ on the music.

I can't find other than the OP27A/C online any more, by the way. I think there is/was an OP27E as well. Majkel mentioned it in his HDAM review on the other site. I just happened across them in the local electronics hobby store.

I'm planning to take the Grados, Symphones and HD-800s to Elekit later this month for a "factory tour" and some listening. I really want to hear what the HF-2s are like on a good tube amp, so here's hoping the Elekit is good.

What about the Ocean, Wind or the Fire? Don't hold back on us.

I probably had to rob the bank or something to afford his 'services'... I did the entire process myself with further changes here and there because bloody hell, if you followed the instructions dot-to-dot you would end up with a sibilant monster. All academic of course, because I no longer have my R10. :)