Grado HF-2 Impressions Thread

tkam

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

First thing I noticed out of the box was a pretty similar response to my ER4P/S (more bass obviously) except the percussion sounded slightly funky with the HF2. I'm going to reexamine when I get home tonight.

You guys notice a change in the upper end at all with repeated use?

Gah, still dont have mine :(

Yeah it's a pisser. My card got charged on September 9 (I think) and nothing still. I haven't been able to get Todd on the phone using either the toll free number or the other one. I was really hoping to bring these to Houston with me so I'd at least have something to listen to music with :-\

First thing I noticed out of the box was a pretty similar response to my ER4P/S (more bass obviously) except the percussion sounded slightly funky with the HF2. I'm going to reexamine when I get home tonight.

You guys notice a change in the upper end at all with repeated use?

The bass tightens up and the rough mids and treble come good after 50 or so hours of use.

They are, by far, the most fun dynamic cans I've ever owned. A surprise was listening to classical music with them and finding them unexpectedly very enjoyable to listen with. The mids and treble are spot-on, neither being too much, to little or having any irritating flaws and the bass is just the right amount of strong, punchy and tight that music becomes fun. The best bit is that they sound good out of anything, even an iPod.

FWIW I have spent a lot of time comparing the RS-1 with he HF2 over the last few weeks. I have used various sources and amps and with all I arrive to the same conclusion. The RS-1 has a larger soundstage (as compared w/ another Grado), it is IMO more extended, and I hear more detail. On the other hand the HF2 has more base punch and it is a bit more forgiving w/ poor recordings specially if the recording has a lot of treble energy. I know we all hear differently but IMO the RS-1 with my gear and my music is the better sounding can.